• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom duplicating & renaming photos on import

Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2018 Jul 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Occasionally while importing, Lightroom duplicates and renames random images - for example it will import a photo named 'VT5D4-6146.CR2', and create a duplicate image that is named 'VT5D4-6146-2.CR2'. (I add the VT5D4 prefix as part of the import)

Sometimes a duplicate image is named 'VT5D4-2.CR2', and the next random image which is duplicated will be 'VT5D4-2-2.CR2'.

My last import was of 169 photos, and 25 were duplicated.

There doesn't seem to be a pattern to this, and it's only been happening in the last two weeks.

Nothing has changed in my workflow and I'm completely baffled by this.

Thanks for any help

Brian

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 29, 2018 Jul 29, 2018

This sounds like a problem with the physical copying of the files. It has nothing to do with the fact that you rename the files. What probably happens is that sometimes an image is copied to the hard disk successfully, but the computer (or Lightroom) thinks that the process failed. Consequently, the copy process is repeated and a second copy is made. Because you cannot have two files with the same name, Windows (not Lightroom) will add '-2' to the second copy.

You say that you don't use a card re

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jul 29, 2018 Jul 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you connecting the camera directly to the computer? If you are try using a card reader to get images off the cameras memory card.

Also try importing without renaming the images at all.

Does the card have both RAW and JPG files on it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like you have been using an Import template Brian

If thats correct, could you post its details?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure how to get the details of the import template, but have attached a screen shot in case this helps?2018-07-29.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I connect the camera directly to the computer.
I have RAW files on the CF Card and jpegs on the SD card, but only import the RAW files - I don't have a CF card reader. I'll switch to saving RAW on the SD card and import using the slot in the computer if all else fails. And stop renaming!
Thanks for the suggestions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

briang64741301  wrote

And stop renaming!

That was a suggestion to test if renaming was part or all of the problem.

But sionce you are connecting the camera directly to the computer I think that is the real problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brian it looks perhaps like another case of keeping it simpler with your work flow might help here.

I hope these suggestions work for you.

Keep us in the loop if necessary!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2018 Jul 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to everyone for your help!

I shot a quick 380-shot timelapse sequence, saved it to my SD card, imported them from the laptop's card reader (without renaming!), and all were imported correctly without duplicates being made.

I'll follow this method with all future imports. . . . . .

Thanks again for such helpful, speedy replies

Best wishes

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds like a problem with the physical copying of the files. It has nothing to do with the fact that you rename the files. What probably happens is that sometimes an image is copied to the hard disk successfully, but the computer (or Lightroom) thinks that the process failed. Consequently, the copy process is repeated and a second copy is made. Because you cannot have two files with the same name, Windows (not Lightroom) will add '-2' to the second copy.

You say that you don't use a card reader, but connect the camera to the computer. I think that is where the problem lies. That kind of connection can be flakey. Use a card reader and the problem should be gone.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 27, 2019 Nov 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same issue. I import using a card reader from my CF cards. I have been doing things the same way since Lightroom version 1 and never had this issue before. Only since the latest release have this started.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2020 Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, i have got the exact same thing going on. Never seen this before on Lightroom but after importing from my harddrive wich I used to store the images till getting back home I see Lightroom is renaming the way you explained and duplicating images wich is quit annoying...did you get any soluation yet?

Take care!

best regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2022 Feb 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I discovered a work around for this.  I have a Surface Pro 5 that has an sdXc slot with a 1TB sdXc Card in it.  Lightroom treats this like a card reader and duplicates every file when you import the files into the catalogue as it only allows you to choose the "Copy" option and not "Add".  I never remove the sdXc card and I treat it like an additional internal drive. 

I want to be able to add photos from it to the Lightroom Catalogue.  When I choose import and choose sdXc card it allows me to import just fine.  The problem however is that it only allows me to select "Copy" as the import option and "Add" is not selectable.  So my import parameters are:  Import from:  sdXc\Pictures\2022 01 30 Park City  Import To:  sdXc\Pictures\2022 01 30 Park City (exact same folder) when I import it creates a copy of every file in the folder (renames each file to XXXX-2.nef) and only adds all of the files with a XXXX-2.nef to the catalogue.  When I look in the folder I have double the number of files and it is taking up double the number of sdXc space.

So here is the work aound:  Use the import process to import only one file into the catalogue.  Lightroom will leave the original file and will create a copy with filename XXXX-2.nef.  So when you look in the folder you will now have XXXX.nef and XXXX-2.nef.  Now go to your "Library" right click on the folder 2022 01 30 Park City and choose "Synchronize".  All of the rest of the files will be imported to the folder without creating a renamed copy of them.  

If you are really OCD about your files you can go back to the folder in Windows Explorer and delete the original file you imported which now has a copy that is renamed XXXX-2.nef.  Then you can go into Lightroom and rename the XXXX-2.nef to XXXX.nef (make sure you rename the file in Lightroom or your catalogue will loose the link to  that file) and everything will be perfect!  Or you can just leave the original file you imported and you will only have 1 duplicate.

I spent quite a bit of time doing some experiments to find a workaround so I thought I would share.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines