• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Catalog upgrade left zero pictures

Explorer ,
Jul 30, 2018 Jul 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10 x64 on auto update.  I don't recall when the last lightroom update was installed (I have a backup from 7/26/2018 - four days ago).  When I launched Lightroom, it asked to upgrade my catalog and I allowed it.  The end result was a zero photo catalog rather than the 58k+ photos originally in the catalog.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 30, 2018 Jul 30, 2018

Sounds like Lightroom created and opened a new catalog. Your old catalog should be available from 'File - Open Recent', or else you can manually select it via 'File - Open Catalog'.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like Lightroom created and opened a new catalog. Your old catalog should be available from 'File - Open Recent', or else you can manually select it via 'File - Open Catalog'.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's exactly what it sounds like.  I am lucky enough to have a 4 day old backup but that isn't without problems either (Syncronizing catalog results in missing photos that are not missing. )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You shouldn't even need a backup. The original catalog should still be there.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's still there but has zero pictures in it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That does not sound like your original catalog, but a new one. Lightroom does not remove all pictures all by itself.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 31, 2018 Jul 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In the other thread about a Disappearing catalog you stated,

Lightroom catalog suddenly disappeared

raymanningphotography  wrote

Add me to the list.  Lightroom updated, asked to upgrade the catalog and after saying yes, I ended up with an empty catalog rather than the 60k+ photos I had originally.

The only time LR Updates/Upgrades the catalog is when you are going from an Older LR version to a Newer LR version. No LR Classic CC V7 Update, a Update from a previous Version 7 point release to a newer point release like V 7.3.1 to V 7.4, needs to Upgrade the catalog.

Then in another post in that thread you said,

35. Re: Lightroom catalog suddenly disappeared

raymanningphotographyLevel 1

I have been on LR Classic CC via subscription since around the time it came out.  So I suspect it's a different bug.

That was in response to my post about a bug in the LR updater that allows LR 6, the one that has a perpetual license, to be Upgraded to LR Classic CC V7 and that would call for a catalog upgrade. Or even from LR CC 2015 (the subscription based version of LR 6) to LR 7. That too would call for a Catalog Upgrade.

If you had been using LR Classic CC since it came out and just recently did an Update for it, like stated above from V 7.3.1 to V 7.4, the catalog file would NOT of needed to be UPGRADED. The same catalog that works with the Base Version 7, the Original release of V 7, would still work with V 7.4 (At least it does on my system).

So I suspect you are dealing with some other problem and or you had been running LR CC 2015 - LR 6 and then installed LR Classic CC V7.

Please do a search of your computer for .lrcat and see how many actual catalogs you have on your hard drives. The backup for LR C CC V7 and LR CC 2015/LR 6 will end in .ZIP and need to be decompressed to work. Backups from LR 5 and older versions are just copies of the catalog file and end in the .lrcat extension.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines