• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom stopped opening D810 files suddenly

New Here ,
Jul 30, 2018 Jul 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom stopped opening my D810 files into Photoshop just out of the blue today. It will open files from my other cameras, but not my D810. And it opened them just fine a few day prior. Pretty sure I didn't change any settings on either Lightroom or Photoshop.

Any thoughts, suggestions or help?

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tell us in detail what happens (or doesn't happen). Explain! If there is an error message, please quote the exact complete unedited error message.

What hardware do you use when you import ... card reader, or USB cable, or import from hard disk, or other?

Please state the exact version NUMBER of your Lightroom. (We need the version NUMBER and not words like "up-to-date" or "current")

Please state the exact version NUMBER of your operating system. (We need the version NUMBER and not words like "up-to-date" or "current")

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am in Lightroom Classic CC 7.4 Release on a Mac running High Sierra 10.13.6 trying to open a photo uploaded from a Nikon D810 from a ScanDisk card via a card reader using a USB-C port into Photoshop CC 2018 19.1.5.

I right click on the photo, select "Edit in Photoshop" at which point Photoshop opens (if closed) or come to the top window (if open) and then...nothing happens. No error messages, no crash, just...nothing. I am able to open files from all of my other cameras that are in my Lightroom catalog D3S, D700, D300, AW-130 without any problem and was able to open D810 files not more than a week ago, but not now. Now, nothing happens.

I know that's not a lot to go on, which is what has me stumped. If I was at least getting an error message, I could probably figure that one out on my own.

As far as I know, I've not changed settings in my OS, Lighroom or Photoshop.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

brianh85718901  wrote

I am in Lightroom Classic CC 7.4 Release on a Mac running High Sierra 10.13.6 trying to open a photo uploaded from a Nikon D810 from a ScanDisk card via a card reader using a USB-C port into Photoshop CC 2018 19.1.5.

I right click on the photo, select "Edit in Photoshop" at which point Photoshop opens (if closed) or come to the top window

Are you doing this in Lightroom, after successfully importing the photo into Lightroom?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.

I haven't uploaded anything new. I haven't changed anything. I am attempting to open pictures that have been in my Lightroom catalog for days, weeks and months. Pictures I have opened previously.

Nothing is new, nothing has changed.

It will not open anything shot with the D810. I haven't changed any setting on my camera, not that it would matter since I've been able to open those picture previously.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

brianh85718901  wrote

Yes.

I haven't uploaded anything new. I haven't changed anything. I am attempting to open pictures that have been in my Lightroom catalog for days, weeks and months. Pictures I have opened previously.

Nothing is new, nothing has changed.

Except most people's operating system changes over time as new drivers are released and updates to the operating system are applied. Background software (such as antivirus and firewall) may also get updated without your knowledge. And then there's the problem of the user making an accidental change and doesn't realize it.

Try an experiment. Temporarily turn off your firewall and anti-virus. If you are not comfortable doing that, then disconnect from the Internet first (actually remove the internet cable from your computer, or if it's connected via WiFi, turn off the WiFi). Does the problem go away?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disconnected from the internet, no anti-virus and no change.

Right click > Edit in > Edit in Adobe Photoshop CC 2018....and nothing. It brings Photoshop to the top window, but nothing more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, let's remove Lightroom from the equation for a minute. Try to open one of the D810 files directly into Photoshop, not from Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Already tried that.

D810 files open just fine from the desktop into Photoshop.

Pretty sure the problem is somewhere within Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you haven't already done so. try resetting Lr preference file as described in Method 1 at How to set Lightroom Classic CC preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ian,

Thanks, I will try that and get back to you. It's bedtime here at the moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ian,

I tried resetting Lr preferences and got the "This version of Lightroom may require the Camera Raw plug-in version 10.4 for full compatibility Please update the Camera Raw Plug-in using the update tool in Photoshop help menu"

I click "Open anyway" and it's the same problem. I'll double check the Camera Raw plug-in in the morning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, couldn't wait.

I tried to update Camera Raw and Creative Cloud says I'm using the latest version of all of my apps and won't let me update anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

brianh85718901  wrote

Ok, couldn't wait.

I tried to update Camera Raw and Creative Cloud says I'm using the latest version of all of my apps and won't let me update anything.

Sign out of the Creative Cloud software. Then sign back in. Do you find now that you can download updates? (Sometimes the Creative Cloud application fails to identify updates and sign out/sign in often fixes it).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I signed out and back into Creative Cloud. All the applications still show as up to date. D810 files still won't open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you upload one of the errant raw files to somewhere like dropbox or googledrive ro onedrive and post a public share link, here, so someone else can try it and see if it works for them?  That would help tell you if something is wrong with the file or something is wrong with your computer and the file is ok.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I can do that. It'll have to be later today after work, but I'll get it done.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled PS to see if that would solve the problem. It does not. I'm really hoping not to have to do that with LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What versions of Lightroom, Photoshop, Camera-Raw do you have, specifically, not "the latest"?  Help / System Info may give you that information or there's some way to do About Plug-in / Camera Raw in PS on the Mac, just not from the Help menu like it is on the PC.

I ask because where you clicked "Open Anyway" suggests you're not up-to-date with Camera Raw, and perhaps Photoshop.  Or maybe you have multiple versions of PS on your computer and LR is opening an older one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2018 Jul 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have already posted what versions of everything I am running above with the exception of Camera Raw which is 8.0.0.137

I do not have multiple versions of PS or LR on my computer.

Unless something updated recently without my knowledge, none of this explains why LR would open these very same pictures into PS not 4 days prior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The current version of PS CC 2018 is 19.1.5.  I don't see that version number in previous messages.

The current version of Camera Raw is 10.4 as LR said in its message.

Camera Raw 8.0 is from either a partially updated CS6 or the initial install of CC, and there have been 5 versions of PS since CC:

Please tell us the precise versions of your software.

You could try installing the latest Camera Raw from here:

Camera Raw plug-in installer

Although if you're running 8.0 then that is from some older version of software and installing 10.4 might cause it to not work, so you need to figure out why you have such a wide discrepancy of versions between what PS version you say  you have and the ACR plug-in version.

It's possible that LR is seeing a very ancient version of PS from your backups and starting that by mistake.   I forget if LR has worked around that issue or if it can still occur.  I haven't seen it reported for a while, now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reposting info regarding versions of software I am running:

I am in Lightroom Classic CC 7.4

High Sierra 10.13.6

Photoshop CC 2018 19.1.5.

Camera Raw 8.0.0.137

I do not have older versions of any software installed on this computer and never have. It is fairly new and has never had an older version installed in it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 01, 2018 Aug 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Camera Raw 8.0 does not ship with PS CC 2018.

When you open a raw directly with PS CC 2018, what version of Camera Raw is listed on the title of the plug-in?  You might have to unmaximize it.

Do you have an old backup of software either on a secondary internal drive or an attached external drive?  LR, on a Mac, has been known to find an older PS on a backup and try to run that when you invoke Edit In.  To me that would explain the ancient ACR 8.0. 

And how are you determining the version of Camera Raw?  There are 2 or 3 different ways and a different way would probably show a different version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed the instructions to update Camera Raw and that seems to have solved the issue.

Thanks for the help.

To answer your question, I did the drop down from the toolbar at the top labeled "About plug-ins" > Camera Raw > and that's what it said.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Then the only mystery is how PS CC (from 2014)'s initial CR plug-in got installed in place of the PS CC 2018 10.0 one.

Only you can figure that one out.

A couple possibilities were you installed an older program or perhaps ran an 8.0 installer you found somewhere, or you installed PS CC (2014) from Previous Versions in the CC app then uninstalled it and maybe it doesn't put the new one back (which would make sense).

Anyway, at least it got fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines