Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export to a different size

Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2018 Jul 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone.

I'm looking for a way to export vertical images in a 4x5 aspect ratio without cropping them meaning the image will have white stripes on both sides.

Is it possible directly through export or I'll have to create a page template in the print module?

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not possible in the Export module. Creating the template in the Print module but you're limited ti exporting the file as JPEG or printing to pdf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried to use the print module but I can't get the margins down to zero.

I guess it depends on the printer's (or driver) ability to print borderless.

I also couldn't get the page to the right ratio.

In addition the exported JPG doesn't keep the EXIF.

Sounds like a required feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Sharon+Tal+Photography  wrote

Sounds like a required feature.

Have tried Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I do now but each "Edit in Photoshop" creates a large PSD file which would have been spared if Lightroom had this option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I do now but each "Edit in Photoshop" creates a large PSD file which would have been spared if Lightroom had this option.

Lightroom can have this option!

You can specify Photoshop as an "Additional External Editor" and set the options for JPG or TIFF. That is in addition to the 'Default' Photoshop option that is usually .PSD

So you could have three Photoshop "Edit-In" links- one each for PSD TIFF JPG.

ScreenShot075.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2018 Jul 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@WobertC I don't see how this will solve the extra file created for PS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My reply Re: 'Additional External Editor listings' was a suggestion to avoid LARGE files. (ie. use a JPG option)

creates a large PSD file

Your first post suggests you are creating a new file by Export

I'm looking for a way to export

So "sending" the file to print through Photoshop is not creating an 'second' extra file, it is just using the one you Export. And you can add Photoshop to the Export dialog in the 'Post Processing' section of Export.

Dragging a Photoshop 4x5 Crop 'outside' an image can easily 'add' the extra blank sides to a photo (with options) Even an Action could be defined.

Mogrify is a very useful plugin- no denying! My preference is for Photoshop

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the LR/Mogrify 2 plugin should be able to do that.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JohanEl54 thanks but I think it's an overkill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JohanEl54 thanks but I think it's an overkill

AFAIK, this is a free plugin (free with certain limitations), so how can that be overkill?

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess I'll give it a try

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes go for it - it will be worth the learning curve. The joy of LR/Mogrify2 is that you can write an export preset which will take any aspect ratio (including portrait or landscape) and place your image in a white (or any other colour) border such that one dimension is always automatically edge to edge at the maximum pixel size which Instagram will accept. Just follow the install instructions carefully and accept that you have to explore a bit to work out the configuration.  My forum contribution history deals with some issues if you can access it. b.t.w. it is donation ware, you are limited to 10 files at a time after a while. It's well worth paying for if you are needing to process larger batches in the future.

Earlier I tried printing to file with  borderless printing set it would work - you just need an appropriate printer driver with borderless option           

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sharon

LRMogrify2 will definitely do that - in short you set up a canvas to match the 5x4 print size (in pixels mind e.g. 3000 at 600ppi) which matches the largest dimension and adds white borders on the side. LRMogrify2 is very powerful but has a fairly steep learning curve. I use it for most exports for many different features - for instance watermarks and adding white borders to upload square images on instagram.  Note: if you are working on a PC you will also need to install a legacy version of image magick.  Check the web site above for details. If I can I will add a link later to a more  detailed description I posted before.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are your originals lots of different aspect ratios?  I feel irresponsible for suggesting LRMogrify2 if this is only a limited number and a short term requirement. Because I use it all the time it is second nature to me now but the initial figuring out was a struggle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My photos are 3:2 as they come out of my DSLR.

Instagram doesn't allow vertical 3:2 so I want to convert it to 5:4 instead of cropping it.

Now I do it with PS but it would be much easier directly from LR.

2018-07-30_225622.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check out LR/Instagram - Lightroom Publish Plugin for Instagram. It does the padding for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2018 Aug 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you everyone for the suggestion and support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines