Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

iMac Pro 2017 Adobe Illustrator poor performance

Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2018 Jul 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Guys!

It's about an iMac Pro - 3.2GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.2GHz, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Radeon Pro Vega 56 with 8GB HBM2 graphics memory

We use the latest version of the Adobe CC 2018. The device has been completely reinstalled and no extensions or similar installed. Nevertheless, Illustrator and InDesign are very sluggish. InDesign has very long load times when scrolling multiple sheets.

i.e. if I have a document with 25 pages and I want to go from page 1 down to page 6, everything stops for about 15 seconds, I just see the beach ball and then suddenly it goes on. Should not be a problem for this device? (File is locally on the desktop, no server or network drive)

Now the main Problem.

In Illustrator we have the bigger problems, if we simply draw 2 squares here, and move them in the path view, everything is delayed, the squares follow the mouse with a little delay until they finally arrive where they have to go. Without path view it works quite normal.

In addition, if we zoom in on a drawing and move it with the "hand tool" or space bar, it's like the picture moves at only 2 fps ....

For such a device in this price range or hardware, these steps should actually be no problem at all. Unfortunately, I have already tried many things. Also the steps of the help page (https://helpx.adobe.com/at/illustrator/kb/optimize-illustrator-performance-mac-os.html) - without any change.

Are there any problems with the hardware? Too many CPU cores or graphics card not supported? Well, maybe you guys have the same problems with Adobe and an iMac Pro... I would be very grateful!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sluggish performance has been seen when the option to "Import previous settings and preferences" has been checked during the install of CC 2018. Please see CC 2018 Illustrator—Don't Import previous settings and preferences for more details and what to do about it. The same holds true for InDesign. See CC 2018 InDesign—Don't Import previous settings and preferences .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2018 Aug 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was a completely clean install of the System, there were no earlier version of adobe programms installed. Does this option still count for the performance issue?

@Monika Gause, i'll try as soon as i can! Ty for the tip!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 01, 2018 Aug 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Corrupt preferences can always be a cause of slow performance. Trashing the old so that the program creates a new set and brings the program back to its default state can be a good way to at least establish a baseline in troubleshooting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try and turn off the Dictation features and the microphone in the system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 08, 2018 Aug 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Monika. Sorry for the late reply. The Diktation feature was disabled by default.... no change....

Preferences also made no difference. I've deleted every preferences and let the programs create new one. Nothing changed.

Do you guys have any other things to try?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try and post your issue on http://uservoice.com and maybe the engineers have an answer.

I'm running it on my 2014 13" Macbook Pro on Sierra and it runs smoothly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

are you taling about outline mode? GPU performance doesn't (yet) work in outline mode, hence the performance drop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines