• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom CC Classic not Responding

Explorer ,
Feb 22, 2018 Feb 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just updated to the latest version 7.2 (1156743) and still have the same problem as before. When in the Library module everything I try I get the spinning blue circle and Lightroom showing not responding. This continues for a long time and then comes back to life until I do something else. Such as click on another image, trying using the slidder bars on the images or file system. I am running Windows 10 Pro, with a 256SSD and 1TB hard drive. Lightroom library is on the SSD and the images are on the hard drive. I have 16GB memory on a laptop. All other apps are working fine including Photoshop and Bridge, it is only Lightroom that is virtually unuseable.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try moving the catalog file to your Pictures folder on your C: drive. Depending on how many photos are in your library it may take awhile for it rebuild your previews. From my personal observation, LR 7.2 doesn't play nice if the catalog file is on external drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought the idea was to have the Catalog on the internal SSD as it is the fastest drive but anyway I have now moved the Lightroom Library from the SSD to the Laptop internal Hard drive. This has made a very slight improvement but I am still getting Not responding and the blue circle all the time in the Library module, even if I click on something like star rating. so no real improvement. This is driving me mad as it makes Lightroom virtually unuseable for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2018 Mar 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On another site, someone suggested un-checking the box next to "Use Graphics Processor" found at Edit>Preferences>Performance. Initially, LR wouldn't let me un-check the box, as doing so made the "not responding" problem occur.  Once I restarted LR, I randomly clicked on "Purge Cache" and increased the Camera Raw Cache Settings to 20 Gb, and then I was able to un-check the box next to "Use Graphics Processor"...not sure why it helped, but (so far in the past 1/2 hour) LR has been running well.  Keeping my fingers crossed.  If this is the problem, I'm guessing LR is fighting with the graphics processor driver for control.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How much free disk space do you have on that SSD?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the replies. On my C: drive I have free 53.9GB of 117Gb. I did originally have my Lightroom Library on this drive and

then it was quite full. I then moved it onto my F: drive and there I have 292GB free of 931GB (internal hard drive).

When I moved the Library over there was no change to the symptom.

I have now disabled the Graphic Card and Purged the Cache but no improvement and restarted Lightroom. i already had my Cache set to 20Gb. I did try these tests with Lightroom 7.1 but this never improved the situation.

My issue seems to be predomanately in the Library module. If I click on an image in the film strip or the slider in the Grid view or Folder slider it either takes 5-8 seconds to transition or it comes up with Not Responding and the Windows blue circle appears and sometimes at the same time the screen goes white but partially transparent the appropriate slider/image then displays again after 5-8 seconds. If I go into the Develop module then every image I click on in the Filmstrip comes up as I click it in the main display. This used to be the same in the Library module but not any more, unfortunately I cannot remember when it broke. I do not have any issue with any of my other application including Photoshop it appears to only be the Lightroom Library module that is basically unuseable.

Lightroom Classic version: 7.2 [ 1156743 ]

License: Creative Cloud

Language setting: en

Operating system: Windows 10 - Business Edition

Version: 10.0.16299

Application architecture: x64

System architecture: x64

Logical processor count: 8

Processor speed: 2.5 GHz

Built-in memory: 16292.9 MB

Real memory available to Lightroom: 16292.9 MB

Real memory used by Lightroom: 2657.0 MB (16.3%)

Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 2984.8 MB

GDI objects count: 638

USER objects count: 2736

Process handles count: 1530

Memory cache size: 1068.6MB

Internal Camera Raw revision: 894

Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5

Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2

Camera Raw virtual memory: 1023MB / 8146MB (12%)

Camera Raw real memory: 1024MB / 16292MB (6%)

System DPI setting: 96 DPI

Desktop composition enabled: Yes

Displays: 1) 1920x1080, 2) 1680x1050

Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: No, External touch: No, External pen: No, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info:

DirectX: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M (22.21.13.8541)

Application folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom Classic CC

Library Path: F:\Lightroom library\Lightroom_library-2-2-2-2\Lightroom_library-2-2-2-2.lrcat

Settings Folder: C:\Users\Dennis\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom

Installed Plugins:

1) AdobeStock

2) Canon Tether Plugin

3) Facebook

4) Flickr

5) HDR Efex Pro 2

6) Helicon Focus Export

7) Nikon Tether Plugin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might be crowding that C drive a bit with a 20 GB cache and only 53.9 GB free. The hard drive needs about 20% free disk space just for normal "breathing" room. I don't know if that is part of the problem or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jim for the quick reply. I have chopped it down to 10Gb I have also move the Library to my C drive Pictures directory (missunderstood a previous message before). It is now going up to 15 seconds between images in the Filmstrip with the two changes. I now have 52.4GB free out of 117GB. Just put the Cache back to 20GB and that made no difference and so the increase in time must have been when I moved the Lightroom Library to my C drive. Also it is still intermittently Not Responding for 8-15 seconds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good point.  I re-directed my cache to a folder the big (non-SSD) drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never thought to check where my Cache was. It was on the F drive (hard disk) from previous tests. I have moved it back onto the C: SSD drive but it made no difference. But I think I will move the Cache back onto my hard drive as there is more space there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sulco  wrote

Cache set to 20Gb. I did try these tests with Lightroom 7.1 but this never improved the situation.

I would recommend that you leave the ACR cache on your SSD as it can be read much more quickly than from your hard disk. Also, since the size of the individual cache files was reduced a few years back, the default 5GB cache is more than sufficient. Typically, most of the cache files are in the order of 400KB to 1MB, and with Lr7.x they're created a lot faster than in previous versions.

If/when funds are available it would be worth getting yourself a 500GB/1TB SSD and external enclosure to use as a dedicated catalog and cache drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 02, 2018 Apr 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone for your help here is an Update to the Problem I have:

In the Library module of Lightroom if I click on an image or the file/grid slider I get a blue circle for about 8 to 15 seconds and sometimes Not Responding message. When it comes back it works for that image or slider but if I click on another image in the grid view or the Filmstrip it will hang again. This problem has only occured in recent Lightroom versions (not sure exactly when) and is still the same problem with 7.2. i have been using Lightroom since 1.0 and so am quite familiar with the product. The interesting thing is that Lightroom works fine in the Develop, Slideshow and Print modules (dont use the other modules). But this issue makes the Library module virtually unusable.

My Laptop is running Windows 10 Pro and I have a 128GB SSD and an internal 1TB hard disk. All my images are on the hard drive but I now have the Lightroom  Cache and Lightroom Library on the SSD in my Users directory. I have found that Windows was showing that I had 50GB free on the SSD but Treesize stated that I only had 26GB. I found that the Windows drivers in FileRepository was at 41GB. I have been able to reduce that dramatically and so I now  have 54GB free space on my SSD. Therefore this should be plenty for Lightroom. I have set the Cache to 5GB and also tried deleting the Cache but this has had no effect. I have also tried turning the Graphics Processor on/off (with restarts) but this has had no effect on the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 14, 2018 Apr 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got the exact same issue, for the last month or so, and I have TONS of disk space and 32 GB of data.  After starting up LRCC, ti works for as long as I am active in it, but once it sits idle for a few hours, then it goes into this barely/un responsive state.

I've looked around the web for an answer.  There are many people having this issue and there seems to be no solution.  All I can do it quite LR and then restart it--then it's good to go for a while.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2018 May 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Lightroom has just starting "Not responding" after running it for a year with no issues. No recent changes. Plenty of power, memory, storage. Just wanted to bump this as I've searched many threads with no answer. I will continue trying to fix the issue and report back if I find anything helpful. Thanks for the details from your research, Sulco

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2018 May 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue as well. It's frustrating because I literally have to hurry and make my small changes and export them to Ps before it starts freezing on me. I have contacted Adobe via email and no one seems to have a solution for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2018 May 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had gotten to the point with LR that all I do is editing photos (keep or ditch) and the most simple of tasks like rough cropping b4 taking shots into PS for all the rest of my PP'ing. At this point LR is useless even for these simple tasks. I get the not responding message and then have to restart the program because even leaving it for an hour it's still frozen. So essentially the app is useless at this point. And I'm not running some creaky laptop. i7 processor top rated nvidia card and 64GB of ram should do the trick dontcha think? I have virtually no issues in PS working with 50 layers and several tabs open (I close everything trying to make LR work) This is the definition of insanity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2018 Jun 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have read all of these threads and I am having the same issues with LR CC. I am seriously considering trashing LR altogether and try something else. Maybe it's time to cancel my CC account.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2018 Jun 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. LR worked fine through April, then there was a series of Windows and LR updates in May that made LR unusable. Not sure which is at fault. I made no hardware changes.  I have tried all the various suggested solutions, removed and reinstalled LR, gone back to LR7.2, disabled graphics, updated video drivers. I noticed that the hard drive that I have my pictures on is running at 100% but not reading or writing anything. I ran dskchk earlier, no issues found. It seems like LR has put the hard drive into some sort of endless loop. The drive is 6TB, about half full, and LR cache is 30GB on the same drive. After exiting LR I am unable to access the drive using File Explorer for about 10 minutes. Computer is a Dell XPS8900, 64GB RAM, NVidia GeForce 960 video card, 8 logical processors, Windows 10.0.17134, 2 displays 1920x1080. Noticed that when I opened LR the hard drive activity went to 100% (not surprising) but then returned to baseline. Paged through about 6 photos OK then LR froze and the HD activity went to 100% and stayed there with no read/write activity and the drive is not accessible from File Explorer. I checked for corrupted files but there didn't seem to be any. CPU is at 4%, memory usage is 18%, other hard drives at 0%, video GPU at 1%. If I wait long enough the hard drive usage drops to baseline and I can work on a few pictures in LR. Then the whole cycle resumes. Sorry for the long monologue but was hoping maybe this would help identify the problem.

I have found that LR (CC Classic) is corrupting files on my hard drive. Everything works fine until I open it. It may work initially but then HD usage goes to 100% without any read/write activity, becomes inaccessible, and running CHKDSK finds corrupted files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 15, 2018 Jun 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some 'hints' I have picked up-

1. Switch [Off]  Face recognition.

2. Switch [Off]  Sync to mobile.

3. Turn [Off] 'Automatically write changes into XMP' in Catalog Settings.

4. Purge the Video Cache.

5. Refresh the Previews Cache by deleting and allowing to re-build.

6. Turn [Off] "Use Graphics Processor" if you do not have a Retina 4K monitor.

7. Optimize the catalog occasionally- at Catalog Backup, or in the Preferences/Performance.

8. Use Smart Previews instead of Originals for Image Editing- in the Preferences/Performance. Create SPs only for 'working' folders of images.

9. Read some advice at- https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom/performance/

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2018 Jun 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using LrCC for about 3 months.

no issues until I uploaded 1000 photos this weekend.

the blue circle keeps going around and around.

is this the program loading each image up to the cloud or something?

i was trying to dump a load of photos into a link I could share. Not working at all for 24 hours now.

forced shut down several times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 16, 2018 Jun 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this CC, or is this Classic?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2018 Jun 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update 7.4 seems to have fixed the freezing problem!  They don't even mention it in their update notes, only 'bug fixes', so I took a chance and installed it and so far after a couple of hours no freezing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2018 Jun 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The update helped. Still I've had one total crash and a few "Not respondings". Why do I have to pay for software that is so buggy?

I've used Adobe software for many years, so this is a major disappointment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 21, 2018 Jun 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What operating system? How much RAM? How much free disk space? Have you tried disabling GPU support in the Lightroom preferences to see if that helps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2018 Jun 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom is conpletely worthless with this constant "Not responding" issue. I've tried all the suggestion here, and nothing has helped. I neve had this problem before switching to CC.

Is Adobe paying any attention to what appears to be many, many complaints?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines