Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

cleaning up a "salvaged" project?

New Here ,
Mar 10, 2009 Mar 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

Does anyone have suggestions or tips on cleaning up projects that were created by unpacking a .CHM file? We have a number of projects that appear to be the result of this, and I'm finding a lot of files and folder structures that seem extraneous. Overall, I would like to do a bit of "spring cleaning", especially as we may soon begin translating our Help and I would like to have it as efficient and well-built as possible.

Is there a handy list or guide for what file types are not needed by a project? Especially if they are files that might be created when unpacking a CHM but otherwise never needed or used?

Is there any sort of optimizer tool in RoboHelp, or a (free) third-party tool that might do something similar?

Thanks,
-Jeff

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff.

First of all read this link on Peter Grainge's site. It also covers the tools that can be ued to make your life a lot easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As usual, forget to mention we're using RH7! :-)

Also, just as an example of what we're dealing with, in the Style Sheets section of Project Manager, we often have "empty" folders listed alongside the main .css files.

It appears these folders are listed because additional style sheets are buried within them, but they show in Project Manager as empty folders that can't be deleted. However, looking at them in Windows Explorer shows the various files (usually a couple topics and related files, including the style sheets).

It's this type of stuff - files that aren't being used, files that would be better off placed elsewhere - that we're hoping to fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks Colum, I will read up on the link you sent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp