Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Proxies taking FOREVER to encode

New Here ,
Aug 01, 2018 Aug 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I am working with 4k 30p footage.  In order to edit without it skipping, I was instructed to create proxy files in 720p. I followed instructions and created the Ingest settings when opening my project, etc. The files are taking like 45 minutes each to encode into proxies and thats only if i do 1 at a time. If i try to encode all 50 files in the queue at once, it freezes/ crashes after about 6 files.

I am on a Macbook pro 2017 with 16gb ram and a 500gb hard drive i7 processor. I feel like this should be enough to work with 100gb of footage.

Can anyone PLEASE help me create proxies faster or edit without lag?

Thank you !

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 01, 2018 Aug 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Using one of the Cineform presets that comes with PrPro is generally best for performance, they include a couple, pick one in the same aspect ratio as your media. And you can go with a quarter size one for proxies. 960x540 is what I do a lot.

Of course that's assuming yours is actually UHD (3840x2160) rather than full 4k ... 4096x2160. Different aspect ratios.

Now, you're making proxies for 100GB of original media? PrPro takes 4-5 times on disc in space during exporting process than what it will end up with.

That's a huge project doing proxies for 100GB of original media. Will take some hours and much disc space. Hopefully on a different disc than what your original media and project are on.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines