• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Content-Aware Fill Multiple layers

Explorer ,
May 12, 2017 May 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an animated gif with something in it I want to remove. I thought I could select all layers(100) and do a Edit > Fill but I cant seem to with the multiple layers selected. In this case where the thing I'm trying to remove is in the same spot in all 100 of those pics what's the best and quickest way to do the Fill on all layers at once ?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 12, 2017 May 12, 2017

If you want to fill the area with the same content in that area you can do as Trevor has written.  Before you add the new layer  use the frame animation timeline fly-our menu and check new layer appear in all frames.  That way you do not need to manually change every frame in the timeline to make the layer visible in the frame's  composite image.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't need to.  Make the fix in a new layer at the top of the stack, and have that layer turned on for every frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you want to apply Content Aware Fill to multiple layers. It is not possible to Edit > Fill multiple layers at once. However, the Healing brush tools have an option to sample all layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to fill the area with the same content in that area you can do as Trevor has written.  Before you add the new layer  use the frame animation timeline fly-our menu and check new layer appear in all frames.  That way you do not need to manually change every frame in the timeline to make the layer visible in the frame's  composite image.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JJMack  wrote

Hey, I didn't know that JJ.  Nice one.  What I do is select all the frames and turn the layer on.  In fact I think it might default to doing that anyway.  I find it is not always predictable how editing a frame animation is going to work for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 13, 2017 May 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I use the option both ways. I set it to the how  I want a layer added to frames  for a layer I'm about to add to the layer stack be added to all frames or frames I am working on and select.   It is not uncommon to need to use both options. When there are few frames it does not matter much which option is set for  it is  easy to set which layer are visible in a small number frames. When you have a large number of frames and layers this option is very useful.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 04, 2018 Aug 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I have tried to follow the directions above, yet cannot get it to work. I am using Adobe Photoshop CC 2018 version 19.1.1 on macOS 10.12.6 (16G1510) Sierra and do not know much about how to use the application. Could someone please elaborate on the specific steps to accomplish that (content-aware removal of specific area in animated ".gif")? Many thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would need to content aware fix each layer that effetely make up that area in frames in the frame animation. then save out a new animated gif. You may need to modify more than one layer or  just add and additional layer that will be visible  on top of the  the frames that show the area in the animation by adding  that layer to the frames in the animation that display the area.  The animation frames are created in the timeline frame animation panel.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, albeit I do not quite understand. As said, I do not know much about Photoshop. This is what I do:

1. Open animated gif file with Photoshop.

2. Select "Window - Tools" to show them.

3. Select "Window - Timeline" to show it.

I get the message "Pixel aspect ratio correction is for preview purposes only. Turn it off for maximum image quality".

4. Use the zoom tool (magnifier) to increase image size.

5. Select the first frame on left-bottom timeline, select desired area of gif file (on one corner of it, showing some text) with lasso tool and "Edit - Fill - Contents - Content-Aware - OK". That works as expected and removes desired area of gif file, replacing it as content-aware.

Yet, I want to do it with all 160 frames of the animated gif file at once (the area is the same for all frames), not having to do it manually on a one-by-one frame basis. Is that possible? How?

Please, note that I do not know much about Photoshop. For instance, I do not know how to create or work with layers, etc. Sorry about my ignorance on this. Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you open  an animated gif in Photoshop not the source psd document  that the animated gif was created from.  The document that will open will have a layer for each frame in the animation.  You will need to need to create frames needed for what you want changed like  I wrote. If the area you want changes is static and visible in the same location in all frames you can get by with adding a new top layer that has the area's content and have  it visible in all frames. You need to work with layers and frame animation panel. Add one new layer visible in all frames.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. What I have is just the animated ".gif" file, not the source psd document. The area I want to change is static and visible in the same location in all frames.

You say what to do, but I am completely lost and do no know how to accomplish that. What is a layer? How to create them or frames? How to ad a new top layer that has the area's content and have it visible in all frames? How to add one new layer visible in all frames?

How to accomplish what I want? A step-by-step procedure will be most appreciated. Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to use the animation panel flyout menu and make sure new layer appear in all frame is checked the current option. Then in the lays palette target the top layer and then use  shortcut ctrl+N to add and new empty top layer. Add the content you want in the area in this new layer.  Then export save for web a new animated gif.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am completely lost. Where is the animation panel flyout menu? If I select a layer in "Window - Layers" palette and then Control N, nothing happens. Anyway, this is what I have tried to do:

1. Open animated gif file with Photoshop.

2. Select "Window - Tools" to show them.

3. Select "Window - Timeline" to show it.

I get the message "Pixel aspect ratio correction is for preview purposes only. Turn it off for maximum image quality".

So, I turn if off at "View - Pixel Aspect Ratio Correction".

4. Use the zoom tool (magnifier) to increase image size.

5. Select the first frame on left-bottom timeline.

6.-Select "Layer - New - Layer". Photoshop names it "Layer 361" and places it after layer 1 on "Window - Layers" palette. I rename it as layer 0 and place it before. Both show with eye icon on left (indicates layer visibility). But the newly created layer 0 does not show on bottom timeline window.

7.-Select layer 0 and select desired area of gif file (on one corner of it, showing some text) with lasso tool and "Edit - Fill - Contents - Content-Aware - OK".

Yet, I get the error: "Could not fill because there are not enough opaque source pixels".

Are these the correct steps? How to do it right or continue? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You ask for a step by step way I gave one to you did you try it?

Once again

After you open your animated gif as Photoshop document

1.) Use the timeline frame animation panel's fly-out menu. Make sure new layer appear in all frame is checked is the current option.

2.) In the layers palette target the top layer

3.) Use  shortcut Shift+ctrl+N to add a new empty top layer.  I forgot to include the shift key in my last reply.  Shift+Alt+Ctrl+N will also add a new layer as will menu leyer>New.

4.) Add the content you want in the area in that area in this new layer.

5.) Menu Export>Save for web to save the new animated gif you want.

You open a panel's fly-out menu by click on the little icon in the panels upper right corner.  Many Photoshop pallets and panels have fly-out menus.

You need to look at some beginner  Photoshop tutorials.  Photoshop is not and application you can open and use without any knowledge of how it works and how one uses its tools  and feature.  Photoshop is huge and you need learn how it works and how to use its features and tools.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your kind help. I think that I almost got it done, yet got stuck before finishing (see error message in boldface red below). Previously, I tried my best to do what is required, yet got lost. Sorry about my ignorance on this. I have tried again following your new directions (shown underlined below), doing as shown below:

1.) Use the timeline frame animation panel's fly-out menu. Make sure new layer appear in all frame is checked is the current option.

I thought that such fly-out menu was the "Window - Layers". I see now that it is "Window - Timeline" and there, clicking the four horizontal lines icon on top-right corner. There it shows "New Layers Visible in All Frames". So, that seems OK. Additionally, it shows first frame (or whatever that is named) selected. There are a total of 360 of such frames.

2.) In the layers palette target the top layer.

I guess that is "Window - Layers" and then selecting the Layers tab in such window. I understand that by "target the top layer" you mean to click layer 1 to select it. It was already selected and showing eye icon on left (indicates layer visibility). There are a total of 360 of such layers, albeit only the fist one shows such eye icon.

3.) Use  shortcut Shift+ctrl+N to add a new empty top layer.  I forgot to include the shift key in my last reply.  Shift+Alt+Ctrl+N will also add a new layer as will menu leyer>New.

I am using Photoshop in Mac. The "Layer - New - Layer" menu corresponds to Shift Command N. Command key (looped square symbol like ⌘; previously having an Apple logo like , as explained in "Command key" <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Command_key>) on left of spacebar in Mac keyboard. I guess your commands are for Photoshop in Windows. Anyway, I have selected "Layer - New - Layer".

Photoshop names it as "Layer 361", places it between Layer 1 and Layer 2 in the "Window - Layers" and shows such new "Layer 361" selected (showing eye icon on left of such name).

I use the "Window - Tools" magnifier to increase image size. Now I use the Lasso tool of "Window - Tools" to select the area that I want to remove in the GIFT file. Then select "Edit - Fill - Contents - Content-Aware - OK". Yet, got the error:

Could not fill because there are not enough opaque source pixels.

So, I am stuck there. How to overcome such problem? Thanks again for all your kind help. I do really appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 05, 2018 Aug 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

usermac  wrote

2.) In the layers palette target the top layer.

I guess that is "Window - Layers" and then selecting the Layers tab in such window. I understand that by "target the top layer" you mean to click layer 1 to select it. It was already selected and showing eye icon on left (indicates layer visibility). There are a total of 360 of such layers, albeit only the fist one shows such eye icon.

I am using Photoshop in Mac. The "Layer - New - Layer" menu corresponds to Shift Command N. Command key (looped square symbol like ⌘; previously having an Apple logo like , as explained in "Command key" <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Command_key>) on left of spacebar in Mac keyboard. I guess your commands are for Photoshop in Windows. Anyway, I have selected "Layer - New - Layer".

Photoshop names it as "Layer 361", places it between Layer 1 and Layer 2 in the "Window - Layers" and shows such new "Layer 361" selected (showing eye icon on left of such name).

I use the "Window - Tools" magnifier to increase image size. Now I use the Lasso tool of "Window - Tools" to select the area that I want to remove in the GIFT file. Then select "Edit - Fill - Contents - Content-Aware - OK". Yet, got the error:

You need learn  Photoshop you need to educate yourself.

Layer 1 is a  layer name  and there can be more than one layer with the layer name Layer 1.  A Photoshop document may have no layer with the name layer 1.   Layers with the name Layer 1 can be anywhere in a document layer  stack.   None of the stapes I gave you involved any layer name.   I said target the top layer It could have any name and  I would have no idea as to what the name would be.

The eye Icon does not target a layer it is a visibility state indicator of that layer.   If you just open an Animated Photoshop  would create a layer for every frame in the animation for Photoshop has no ideal as to what the document the animation was made with looks like.  Photoshop would name the layer Layer 1 through layer nnnn.  The bottom layer would be layer 1 it would be target in the layers palette and its visibility would be on and the frame animation panel would be positioned at frame 1.

The top layer would be layer nnnn and I have no idea as to what nnn would be.

The first step I gave you was target the top layer in the layer palette. You do the be clicking on the top layer in the layer palett Photoshop will target that layer the layer target indicator highlight  will be remove from bottom layer 1 and Layer nnn would be target indicated by it being highlighted.

Step  two I gave  was to add a new empty layer I gave you two Windows Shortcuts keys the would do the and a Photoshop menu way to do this.   The mac keyboard keys have different names  So  Shift+CMD+Option+N would add Layer nnnn+1 to the top of the stack and it would now be the current Photoshop target.

You would add the content you want to overlay the area in the animation with.  That layer will be visible in all frames like Frame1 would have layers 1 and layer nnn+1 visibility on.  Frame 2 Layer 2 and Layer nnn+1 visible etc.

The new layer has no pixels filled in all its pixels are empty. So you can not select and area and use content aware Fill for there are no pixels outside the selection on that layer to fill the area with and Photoshop message you that,  You could fill the area with white or paint in it etc and you could move the layer  you added above the botton layer 1 to the top of the stack above layer nnn.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 05, 2018 Aug 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks and sorry for my mistakes. This is what I have done now:

1. I have selected the top layer of "Window - Layers" above all layers, which is Layer 360 (they go from Layer 1 on bottom to Layer 360 on top). There are a total of 360 layers, all sorted numerically.

2. I have selected "Layer - New - Layer". Photoshop creates it as:

Layer 361

Use Previous Layer to Create Clipping Mask <-- That is NOT selected

Color: None

Mode: Normal

Opacity: 100%

No neutral color exists for Normal mode <-- That is NOT selected

After clicking OK, Photoshop places it above Layer 360 in the "Window - Layers" and shows such new "Layer 361" selected. Both Layer 1 (bottom) and Layer 361 (top, empty and newly created) show with eye icon on left (indicates layer visibility).

3. Yet, when I do it (with Layer 361 selected), Photoshop keeps on showing the image corresponding to Frame 1/Layer 1 in its main working window. I guess that should not happen and instead an empty area of the newly created and selected Layer 361 should show. You say: "You would add the content you want to overlay the area in the animation with". How to do it?

Thanks again for all your kind help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 06, 2018 Aug 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

usermac  wrote

3. Yet, when I do it (with Layer 361 selected), Photoshop keeps on showing the image corresponding to Frame 1/Layer 1 in its main working window. I guess that should not happen and instead an empty area of the newly created and selected Layer 361 should show. You say: "You would add the content you want to overlay the area in the animation with". How to do it?

with layer 631 targeted the image window should show what is in Layer 1 because layer 1 and layer 361 are visible.  The image look like Layer 1 because Layer 361 is empty so the composite image will be like layer 1.  You need to select the area you want to change in layer 361 and add the content into the selection that you want to overlay all the layers with.

Because new layer apears in all frames the animation will be

Frame 1 will have layer 1 and layer 361 visible

Frame 2 will have layer 2 and layer 361 visible

the last frame is frame 360

Frame 360 will have layer 360 and layer 361 visible

Once again you need to learn basic Photoshop operation,  This forum is not what you should be  using.  You do not understand users replies because you do not know basic things. You can not follow the Photoshop steps given to you in replies because you do not know basic Photoshop things.  Please at least look at some basic Photoshop tutorials.  Your a bad guesser because you don't know basic things.  Layers are basic and where Photoshop power is. Learning about layers is a must.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but I found how to do it. See my previous message with idiot-proof step-by-step procedure that I meant for people that do know nothing about Photoshop. Anyone could use it. No problem now. All fixed. Thanks again for your help. In summary, it is as easy as:

- Select layer on top and "Layer - New - Layer".

- Select the newly created layer and edit image on main working window.

- When finished, select “File - Export - Save for Web (Legacy)”, using “Preset - GIF 128 Dithered”.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An  idiot-proof step-by-step procedure meant for people that do know nothing about Photoshop.  That too hard to do when one knows nothing about the idiot other then they don't know Photoshop for one does not know what the idiot does know. 

Your easy as will not work if your animation panel fly-out menu option new layer apears in all frames is not checked.  You would manually need add layer 361 to each frame frame by frame.  After you did your easy as.

The first step I gave you is missing in your easy as.  Your easy as are other other steps I gave you,

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basically, what I meant was a procedure indicating menus and submenus to select, where to click, etc. With enough and specific detail, not using generic sentences, so that even someone that has never ever used Photoshop could follow it. Yes, that is perfectly possible with a graphical user interface (GUI). That is why the Mac interface (copied from Xerox, which was copied from Department of Defence of USA) was so great when it was introduced back on 24th January 1084 (more than 34 years ago (then unsuccessfully tried to be copied by Windows and much more unsuccessfully by Linux). For instance (the same with all the rest; that is what I meant):

- If you say "use  shortcut..." that may not work because it is wrong (humans make mistakes, and more with numbers or abbreviations), because it is a different operating system, etc (see above). Instead, if you say "Layer - New - Layer" menu, that has no problem for anyone. Everybody will understand it. Even a kid.

- The sentence "In the layers palette target the top layer" may not be understood by novices, but it will be if you say "Select 'Window - Layers' and Layers tab to show them, if required. Select layer on top".

- Likewise for "You need to use the animation panel flyout menu and make sure new layer appear in all frame is checked the current option" instead of the boldface text in the next paragraph (see below).

On the other hand, "Select 'Window - Timeline', and there click the four horizontal lines icon on top-right corner to make sure 'New Layers Visible in All Frames' is selected" is indeed a Photoshop default. But you are right that it should be checked o make sure it is selected, just in case. So that I am indicating that in boldface in this paragraph (I cannot edit my post above).

Thanks again for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I have searched the web with Google and found this interesting article:

How to Overlay Text (or Anything Else) Over Animated GIFs in Photoshop

https://www.howtogeek.com/286603/how-to-overlay-text-or-anything-else-over-animated-gifs-in-photosho...

That gave me the information that I needed to make the procedure that I wanted working. Here is for reference of anyone. That is the idiot-proof step-by-step procedure that I meant for people that do know nothing about Photoshop. Anyone could use it:

How to REMOVE text or other content

on animated GIF

in Photoshop

Selecting one frame in "Window - Timeline", selecting desired area of animated gif file (on one corner of it, showing some text) with "Window - Tools - Lasso tool” (tool 3 of such palette) and "Edit - Fill - Contents - Content-Aware - OK" works as expected and removes desired area of “.gif” file, replacing it as content-aware. But it is not possible to apply it to all frames at once in Adobe Photoshop CC 2018 version 19.1.1 on macOS 10.12.6 (16G1510) Sierra.

That will be possible with the upcoming Adobe Cloak application; hopefully included in future versions of Photoshop. Meanwhile, this is a workaround to accomplish a similar result editing a single layer instead of all layers on a one-by-one basis:

1. Open animated “.gif”file with Photoshop.

2. Select "Window - Tools"to show them, if required.

3. Use the zoom tool (magnifier; last tool of palette) to increase image size, if required.

4. Select "Window - Timeline"to show it, if required. If "Pixel aspect ratio correction is for preview purposes only. Turn it off for maximum image quality" shows, turn it off in "View - Pixel Aspect Ratio Correction".

5. Select the first frame on left-bottom timeline, if required.

6.-Select "Window - Layers"and Layers tab to show them (may require to drag bottom of such Layers window to expand), if required. The layer on bottom (usually Layer 1) should show eye icon on left (indicates layer visibility).

7. Select layer on topand "Layer - New - Layer". That should create a new layer on top (for instance, Layer 361 if previous one was Layer 360). Such new layer should show with no content andeye icon on left.

8. Select the newly created layerand edit image on main working window(the one showing as last submenu of Window menu, corresponding to animated “.gif” file name), as desired.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to select desired area of “.gif” file (for instance, on one corner of it, showing some text) with lasso tool and "Edit - Fill - Contents - Content-Aware - OK". Because then you get the error: "Could not fill because there are not enough opaque source pixels".

So, other editing strategies should be used. For instance (not mutually exclusive):

- Select desired areaof animated “.gif” file (not of empty layer but of frame or image with content) with "Window - Tools - Lasso tool”(tool 3 of such palette) and "Edit - Fill - Contents - Content-Aware - OK". Then copy such area and paste it into the same area of newly created layer (step 6 above). Heal borders as described below, if required.

- Use the zoom tool to increase image size until pixels are shown. Then click “Eyedropper tool (I; tool 6 of such palette)” and click over one pixel to copy its color. Now click the “Brush tool (B; tool 8 of such palette) and click the desired pixels to paste and change their colors to the one previously copied. Repeat the process until the desired area is edited as wanted.

- Do as above, but with less zoom, so that edited area is larger with each click to change color.

- Additionally, the brush tool can be used not only to change color clicking, but also clicking and dragging, which creates lines of changed color.

The desired area can be edited as wanted, mixing several of such strategies.

9. When finished, save the edited file with Photoshop format (.psd), using “File - Save As”, just in case it is needed in the future. Additionally, select “File - Export - Save for Web (Legacy)”using “Preset - GIF 128 Dithered”.

That is all. The newly saved animated “.gif” will show the edited area in all frames-layers. No need therefore to manually edit all frames-layers on a one-by-one basis.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is much information on the web about Photoshop some is execlent,  some OK, some dated, some wrong.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2019 Apr 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMG_4702.jpgMy Adobe after effect is not showing on window screen

The Content aware Fill? Not seeing in my window it’s showing every other besides that one. My computer is a Mac. Software is 0SX EL Captain version 10.11.6. I checked on Adobe updates it says they’re all updated including after affects..VinnyVenom@gmail.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2020 Dec 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is photoshop forum.. not AE. Please make sure to ask only photoshop questions here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines