• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic CC suddenly will not boot up

Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2018 Aug 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot open Lightroom Classic CC. I get the splash screen, then the beachball. That too disappears but the icon on my dock says the app is still open, and I need to force quit to shut down. It was all working perfectly.

I can however open Lightroom CC.

I use a MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012), 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB memory 1600 MHz DDR3, Intel HD Graphics 4000 and startup disk Mercury EXTREME SSD 480GB.

Despite my best efforts, I cannot resolve this issue. I have done all that I can find via Adobe and the forum, but to no avail. Here's what I've done:

1. Sign out and back in from Creative Cloud (Lightroom doesn't launch or closes automatically after splash screen)
  2. Searched for SLCache and SLStore folders so that I can rename them, but I can't find them (Lightroom doesn't launch or closes automatically after splash screen)
  3. Investigated my graphics driver, in case the driver needed upgrading, but according to the Intel website, all I need do is keep the OS updated, which it is. I can't disable the graphics driver using Lightroom preferences, because the program won't open.
  4. I've searched for the useAutoBahn string using textedit of any of the .plist files. Turning off Lightroom’s GPU preferences even when crashing on startup. I can find one instance of that, but there is no "true" associated with it ie I can't change "true" to "false".
  5. I've deleted any .plist files related to Lightroom https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2464385
  6. I uninstalled LR Classic CC, used the Adobe Creative Cloud cleaner tool, and then reinstalled (so all software is up to date).

I don't know what else I can do!

HELP!!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 05, 2018 Aug 05, 2018

I think I have resolved the issue (or at least understand the problem).

I just left LR Classic CC with the beachball spinning, and it flashed up a message entitled Lightroom Catalog Upgrade, that "We need to upgrade your catalog fir use with Lightroom Classic CC; Select Upgrade below to begin. Lightroom will create a new catalog file in the destination below. The previews will be moved to this location and converted for use in Lightroom Classic CC.

The  file was XXXX/Lightroom Catalog-2.lrcat.

I se

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 05, 2018 Aug 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cathw54975100  schrieb

Investigated my graphics driver, in case the driver needed upgrading, but according to the Intel website, all I need do is keep the OS updated, which it is. I can't disable the graphics driver using Lightroom preferences, because the program won't open.

If Lightroom won't start you can disable the GPU support by editing the appropriatre plist - file directly.

Take a look here Adobe Lightroom GPU Troubleshooting and FAQ and follow the steps desribed under section "Solution 2"

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried that, but as I said in 4., I couldn't find the right string.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the string isn't in the plist file you have to enter the line

useAutoBahn = false

manually

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, at the spot where I find "useAutoBahn", I add "= false" ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 06, 2018 Aug 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The specific GPU is not supported for GPU acceleration in Lightroom Classic CC, so checking if it is on or off is unnecessary, Lightroom will not use it.

Please state the version number of your operating system.

It seems you have perhaps opened the wrong catalog file. What happens if you find the proper catalog on your hard disk by using the operating system search feature to search for files whose name ends with .LRCAT, and then once found, double-click on it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks dj_paige.

macOS High Sierra 10.13.6

I investigated the .lrcat file(s), as outlined in my second post. The last one was made at the time program first experienced difficulties. I backup the catalog every time I close LR down. If I double click on this particular .lrcat file, the program hangs. If I use the second last .lrcat backed up file, I can open the program. Hence my thought that the latest .lrcat file was corrupted i some way. Perhaps it did not back up properly on closing. Who knows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I have resolved the issue (or at least understand the problem).

I just left LR Classic CC with the beachball spinning, and it flashed up a message entitled Lightroom Catalog Upgrade, that "We need to upgrade your catalog fir use with Lightroom Classic CC; Select Upgrade below to begin. Lightroom will create a new catalog file in the destination below. The previews will be moved to this location and converted for use in Lightroom Classic CC.

The  file was XXXX/Lightroom Catalog-2.lrcat.

I selected UPGRADE, and Lightroom opened. It had no files in it, but synched the ~5K I had in the cloud. All good, except that that was all I had.

So, I went into Preferences, General and regarding default catalog, asked for "Prompt me when starting Lightroom". When I selected my original catalog, the program hung again.

It seems as if my original catalog (made when the program first experienced issues) is corrupted. I went into Backups, unzipped the previous catalog file, copied it to Desktop, and used that one to open Lightroom.

And Voilà. All seems to be OK now, with the photos from the Creative Cloud just synching.

Fingers crossed, all is well now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines