• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to Access Some (But Not All) Folders After Upgrading to New PC

New Here ,
Aug 06, 2018 Aug 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently upgraded my PC and since then haven't been able to access any 2018 images taken prior to that date in Lightroom. The folders don't show up in the Library. However images from 2017, which are stored on the same external drive ARE present. The images are still on the drive when viewed in Windows Explorer. In summary, images from 2017 and the second half of 2018 are present in LR and able to be edited, etc, but images from the first half of 2018 are missing.

Any and all advice greatly appreciated as this is causing my to get quite a lot of grey hairs.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 07, 2018 Aug 07, 2018

Sounds OK.

When you say you are not able to access these photos, what does that mean exactly?

Are these folders not visible in the folder panel in the library?

Are there any '?' on the folders?

What if you select 'All Photos' and then browse in Grid view ... are the photos/previews available?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 06, 2018 Aug 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please tell us exactly how you did move to the new computer.

Did you copy over the catalog (one, or even many) and the photos? Did you keep the file structure within all the folders with photos?

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2018 Aug 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The folders were, and are, on an external drive and I installed LR on the internal SSD drive of the new PC (it had been on an internal SSD drive on the previous PC).

As far as I can remember I copied the catalog over in a similar way.

The weird thing is that the 2017 photos, which have the same file structure as the 2018 photos, are available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds OK.

When you say you are not able to access these photos, what does that mean exactly?

Are these folders not visible in the folder panel in the library?

Are there any '?' on the folders?

What if you select 'All Photos' and then browse in Grid view ... are the photos/previews available?

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, not visible in the folder panel in the library.

No, none of the usual '?' on the folders. I more or less know how to locate things when the '?' is visible.

"What if you select.....Grid view....available?" OHHHH, now I think I'm getting somewhere!! I didn't know that 'All Photos' and 'Grid View' existed until now. Just managed to recover one folder that way and will go and try a few more!!

Thank you very, very, very, very much for your help F.McLion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you find them in the grid view with all photos shown, right click on a photo found and select Go to folder in library. This may give a hint on why you can't see the folder in the folder panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines