Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is this iMac will be poweful enough ?

New Here ,
Aug 07, 2018 Aug 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everybody,

I need to buy a new computer and I can't decide.... I will use a lot lightroom (RAW 24MP), and photoshop sometimes (compositing using images)

My fisrt choice is :

• Imac - 21.5" 4K
  • I7, 3.6Ghz (quad core)
  • Radeon Pro 560 -  4GB video memory
  • 16Gb DDR4 2400Mhz
  • 256Gb SSD
  • I will add later a NAS for backup and more space

Second choice :

• Dell mobile precision 5530 - 15"
  • Intel Core i7 8850H, 2.6Ghz (six core)
  • Nvidia Quadro P1000 - 4GB video memory
  • 256Gb SSD
  • 16 Go (2 x 8 Go) DDR4, 2 666 MHz SDRAM
  • I will maybe add another screen

Why this mac : because it's the only one I can afford... (can't buy a macbook pro, that's a shame)

Why this Dell : I would like a mobile computer, and I can have discount on workstation thanks to my job

Any other idea (Apple or Dell) ?

Thanks a lot for your help

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I think the question here is not just what will be powerful enough... but, what do YOU prefer to have? Either machine will run Lightroom Classic CC just fine. But, what is it you want? A mobile option or a desktop? Would you prefer to use a Mac or a Windows machine? Best of luck with your decision  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not clear to me if either computer will be powerful enough. The 4K screen on the iMac requires a lot of CPU speed as well as GPU speed when using Lightroom, and its unknown exactly what CPU is being used. Many people get 4K screens only to find out that they don't have enough CPU or GPU speed, and Lightroom is slow. Further, it seems that iMacs come with run-of-the-mill CPUs rather than top of the line CPUs (maybe that's changed recently, I don't know, I don't follow it closely enough).

You don't say what size (in pixels) the screen on the Dell is, please let us know.

But, as Lightroom makes a lot of demands on the CPU and GPU, the words "because it's the only one I can afford..." are not comforting, and usually result in people buying computers that are not powerful enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to both of you!!

MelissaLA88​ : I prefer to have a Mac. it will be my first one, but I have an Ipad Pro and Iphone SE and I really like Apple... But I don't know nothing about computers, that's why I have questions...

And I would prefer a mobile option (macbook pro for instance), but Apple's one are to expensive for me...

dj_paige  : indeed, I'm concern about the 4K screen... I don't want to have a bad surprise using Lightroom, that's why I try to get some feedback from others users. The Dell size is 1920x1080. Actually, "because it's the only one I can afford..." is to say that I would buy a Macbook Pro If i could.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dj_paige makes a valid argument that I neglected to think about (thanks, dj_paige!)

Personally, I use a MacBook Pro that is about two years old and it works well for me. They are pricy, I won't deny that. I think some more research is going to be required here, doriank38308311

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem with pre-configured computers is that the manufacturers configure the computer to have the hardware that they want to sell. The computers are not specifically configured for Lightroom, and usually are poorly configured for Lightroom. If you get a computer that has a 1920x1080 monitor, you can get a decently fast CPU and probably have few performance problems. If you get a 4K monitor, then you also need a high-end CPU and a high-end GPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So to sum up, the 4K screen is the problem...

Concerning the specs, I upgraded both computers. The only thing I can add on the Imac is 16Gb DDR4 2400Mhz (to have a total of 32Gb DDR4 2400Mhz) and SSD memory.

Regarding the Dell, it's a bit more complicated, but it's the best I can do with my budget...

I'm really suprise to discover that an Imac can't run properly Lightroom, it cost arround 3000CAD....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So to sum up, the 4K screen is the problem...

I would say it differently, a 4K screen can be a problem, particularly if you don't have a very fast CPU and GPU

I'm really suprise to discover that an Imac can't run properly Lightroom, it cost arround 3000CAD....

As I said above, it is configured to sell the hardware that the manufacturer wants to sell. It is not specifically configured to run Lightroom, and many people (probably not everyone) find that LR with a 4K monitor and a middle of the road CPU and middle of the road GPU are not happy with the way LR performs. The price is irrelevant. It is the hardware that either makes the computer run LR well, or not. You could probably spend less and get a computer that is well configured for LR and have fewer performance problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And with the specs above ?

• I7, 3.6Ghz (quad core)
  • Radeon Pro 560 -  4GB video memory
  • 16Gb DDR4 2400Mhz
  • 256Gb SSD

If I take a look to LR prerequisite, it's should work...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just asked Apple, the processor is an Intel Core i7-7700

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The CPU is not fast by today's standards. The GPU is not fast by today's standards. You can look up the benchmarks for them yourself at cpubenchmark.net and videocardbenchmark.net

The system requirements are the MINIMUM for Lightroom to run. If you have the MINIMUM specs, then you get the minimum performance. Most people are not happy with minimum performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I understand... I have to find the best material to run LR... Complicated choice ! I can see that the Macbook Pro is a lot better... Which screen size do you have MelissaLA88​?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Aug 08, 2018 Aug 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

doriank38308311  wrote

Well, I understand... I have to find the best material to run LR... Complicated choice ! I can see that the Macbook Pro is a lot better... Which screen size do you have MelissaLA88 ?

I use a 15 inch MacBook Pro. My MBP is about two years old now, but it's running very smoothly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2018 Aug 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Do you have another screen in plus ? I seriously have to considere this model... I think It could be a good investment...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines