• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Re: CS3 - Still getting Activation Error Message with new Installer

Explorer ,
Aug 03, 2018 Aug 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am in the middle of this same issue (I think).

Trying to install CS3 Design Suite on a old laptop running Windows 8.1. When I plug in the NEW serial number generated by Adobe Support, I get the red X instead of a green checkmark.  I don't know what I'm doing wrong here, I've reinstalled (from the new download links) three times already, and tried to follow the instructions on all of these forums.  Tried to remove the cache file and reinstall, and it still doesn't accept the new serial number.

When I choose the trial version, it counts down from thirty days.  I don't understand why the serial number provided by Adobe is not working?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Aug 07, 2018 Aug 07, 2018

Before I go through all those steps of reformatting windows......... is there any chance my problem could be that my original copy of CS3 was for a Mac, and this new installation is for a PC?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Branching to a new discussion.

Joshuas31889078 you are correct if you are receiving a red X then the serial number is not being accepted.  Why are you reinstalling Creative Suite 3?  Did anything happen to the Windows 8.1 computer that could be affecting the reinstallation of Creative Suite 3, or is this a freshly formatted computer running Windows 8.1?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jeff,  no I am installing CS3 for the first time, but I'm on my third attempt.....   I had been using Illustrator CS2 for about ten years, and then recently I was able to obtain a working copy of CS3 Design Suite, but then I discovered the activation servers were taken down, so I've been trying to follow the steps for installing the "no-activation" version with a new serial key.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update, Joshuas31889078.  You are correct the activation servers for Creative Suite 3 were shut down some time ago.  You can obtain new installation files, and a corresponding serial number, at Download Adobe Creative Suite 3 products .

Since Creative Suite 3 was previously installed you will also need to locate and remove the cache.db file as discussed in Resolve "temporary activation expired" error for CS3 and Acrobat 8 . Once this file is removed you will be able to use the non-activating version of Creative Suite 3 successfully.

Please update this public forum discussion if you have any additional questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 04, 2018 Aug 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff, I tried removing the cache file, but when I restarted any of the CS3 programs it still gave me the activation screen where the new serial number results in a red X. 

I will try removing the cache file, and uninstalling CS3, reinstalling CS3, and see what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 05, 2018 Aug 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, I completely rushed over your second link, I hadn't seen that before. I am going to go step-by-step in the link you've provided and try that method.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 06, 2018 Aug 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well... here's an update.  I followed all the steps shown in the link you gave me, and it's still not working.  Not only is the new serial key still not resulting in a green checkmark, it's telling me I have 18 days left in my trial period.  I don't understand what could be the problem here....

Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joshuas31889078, to confirm you are only using the new installation files and serial number?  If so, then you may also need to complete the steps listed in Error: "The serial number is not valid for this product" | Adobe Creative Suite .  In particular, make sure to locate the Adobe PCD and SLStore folders as discussed in solution two.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, using only the new installation files and serial number.  I will try the new link you've provided...... Solution 2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay I tried deleting the AdobePCD folder and the caps.db file, and after restarting Photoshop CS3 got this message:

"Licensing for this product has stopped working. You cannot use this product at this time. You must repair the problem by uninstalling and then reinstalling this product or contacting your IT administrator or Adobe customer support for help."

So now it's telling me to uninstall CS3 and then reinstall CS3... but I'm concerned it's just going to do it all over again.  While I'm reinstalling, I thought of another question.  The old CS3 suite I obtained (with the original valid serial key) was for a Mac OS.  But I'm trying to install it on Windows 8.1.  Even though I'm given a link to download the installation files for Windows, could that be the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joshuas31889078, the error, "The licensing has stopped working," is likely occurring because the Adobe PCD folder was removed and a new one was unable to be created.  You can find details on the current error at Error: "Licensing has stopped working" | Windows .

What should have happened is you would be prompted to re-enter your serial number and then a new Adobe PCD folder would be created.  Since this didn't occur we have likely found the root cause of why the serial number was not accepted.

As a next step, you can reset permissions to the C:/Program Files/Common Files/ folder and apply those changes to all the enclosed objects.  This should then allow you to launch the software and create a new Adobe PCD folder after entering the new serial number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, responded too quick.  Just now seeing this message

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joshuas31889078, that installer database is corrupted, because the caps.db file could not be recreated.  You can try repeating the same steps to C:\\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\.  Information on this error is available at Error: "Installer database is corrupt..." when you install Adobe Creative Suite 4 or point product .

Considering this is now the second file permission failure you have faced I would recommend you create a new local administrator account.  This should resolve the file permission errors you are currently facing with the current account.  You can find details on how to set up a new account at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13951/windows-create-user-account .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 07, 2018 Aug 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the latest update.

I was able to start over from scratch by just refreshing Windows 8. Then I created a local admin account, logged on using that and also created a new adobe id account to download the CS3 installer.  It gave me the exact same serial number as the past several times.  I installed CS3 using my admin log-on...... and I am getting the same errors as with my other local account.

Red "X" when trying to enter the new serial number.

"Licensing has stopped working" message when I delete the AdobePCD folder and caps.db file.  Even though I'm using an admin account.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry then, Joshuas31889078, I believe you have done everything you can to recover this installation of Windows 8.1.  I would recommend you back up any critical files, format the computer, and restore Windows 8.1 and any required documents.  Since it will be a new installation of Creative Suite 3 you can go straight to using the new installation files and serial number.  The cache.db file will not be in existence unless you accidentally restore it from a backup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before I go through all those steps of reformatting windows......... is there any chance my problem could be that my original copy of CS3 was for a Mac, and this new installation is for a PC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm reading through forum topics on cross-platforming from mac to pc....  but only available with standalone products, not with creative suites.  I might be out of luck here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Joshuas31889078, the serial number is platform specific.  Sorry, you will need to install on a Mac computer. We no longer offer platform swaps for Creative Suite software titles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright then, that makes sense.  Thanks for all your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome, Joshuas31889078.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2018 Dec 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Jeff,

Since I got a new Mac, my CS3 is no longer working. I got a new serial number, downloaded the replaced version, and now the temporary activation has expired. Like everyone, I uninstalled and reinstalled, but nothing worked. I am at the point to manually remove the cache.db file. But I do not have Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe PCD folder. Please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pianist1, please make sure you are browsing to Library/Application Support/Adobe.  If you do not see this folder then it is likely because you are browsing to the hidden User Library instead.  Please see the screenshot below for more information.

Screen Shot 2018-12-06 at 7.05.46 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks to you, Jeff, I found the PCD folder, finally! Just tested all the apps. They are up and running again. My students and I thank you very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 07, 2018 Dec 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome, Pianist1.  I would recommend bookmarking Resolve "temporary activation expired" error for CS3 and Acrobat 8 in case you need to install Creative Suite 3 in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2018 Dec 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, Jeff. I did that as soon as I realized how helpless I was! Thank you for everything!

Happy Holidays!

Kaii

To: Kaii Lee <kaii@kafm.net>

Sent: Friday, December 7, 2018 6:50 AM

Subject: Re: CS3 - Still getting Activation Error Message with new Installer

CS3 - Still getting Activation Error Message with new Installer

created by Jeff A Wright in Downloading, Installing, Setting Up - View the full discussionYou are welcome, Pianist1.  I would recommend bookmarking Resolve "temporary activation expired" error for CS3 and Acrobat 8 in case you need to install Creative Suite 3 in the future. If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/10799188#10799188 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/10799188#10799188 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following" Start a new discussion in Downloading, Installing, Setting Up by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624. This email was sent by Adobe Community because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from Adobe Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines