• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What BluRay/DVD authoring app to get for the Mac?

LEGEND ,
Aug 08, 2018 Aug 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok ... I've used Encore for lo these many years. It still works (as well as it ever has ... ) on Win10 but not on the newest Mac OS. Which isn't an issue for me but for others it is.

What suggestions are there for an authoring app for when we DO need to create menus, chapters, and real playing BluRay/DVD discs?

Ann Bens​ and Jim Simon​ especially ... recommendations?

Neil

[title edited for clarity, mod]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stan probably knows a ton about this stuff.

I never do burning stuff unless it's to test stuff and always use specific brand of discs and only use off PIG computer, which is win 7.

I use cs6 on pig.

Encore back then was problematic re: burning stuff and a lot of people simply exported ISO instead, and then used some program to burn the ISO. The one I use is this one...

It's a little misleading ( menu icons don't give choice to 'burn BD' ) but you do have option to copy ISO to disc. That's the ticket for both dvd and BD. It will recognize BD RE and DVD RW and no nonsense like from encore ( where disk tray keeps opening and closing asking you to choose disc). I never used on double layer or anything other than one sided Recordable or Re-recordable discs.

When copying the ISO choose " validate" and also "finalize" ( even though it might be re-writeable. Don't matter.)

burn.jpg

I just used it last week to test new eizo monitor and calibration on re-writable BD and it worked fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

apparently there are ways to run a windows program on a mac ( like something called wine or whatever) .. or boot camp? I have no clue.

Keep knees away from disk tray, cause when this finishes copying ISO it will open tray and then re-close it to do the 'validation' ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rodney you need to author and export you movie as an iso first before you can burn it as an iso with ImgBurn.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac? that is going to be problematic I think.

Roxie Toast?

Edit: sorry dvd only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Roxio Toast has an upgrade for Blu-Ray.  Last I used it, though, it had an issue with maintaining sync if you allowed it to do the encoding.  The workaround was to encode outside of Roxio and check off the preference that tells it not to encode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Warren, I think some users built their iso in Encore and burned with Toast - using the option for burning an image. Does that work for a BD?

Re the general topic: we don't hear from many Mac users who confirm that Encore works. Permissions were the big issue, and some users appeared to get it to work, but I don't know if the latest Mac OSs have worked. Can anyone confirm?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anne, yeah, I know. But doesn't both mac and pc subscription to CC include option to use encore ??

??

So, do the usual stuff in Encore, and export as ISO and the new IOS in mac that Neil refers to being a 'problem' will probably be solved ...just a suggestion.

Thanks for clarifying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the Mac side:  If you're comfortable with Adobe Encore CS6, I'd keep a boot drive/partition around with macOS 10.6.8 through 10.9.5 around.

If you're looking for something that supports modern operating systems: Scenarist Professional Authoring Systems For Hollywood Releases (But have a very healthy budget.)

-Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought it was just the burning part that mac users were having trouble with, and didn't realize ( as Anne suggested) that they can't even run the program to get an ISO.

bummer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's amusing that Neil is specifically asking a person for input who used to thrash around wildly in his sleep if you whispered the word "mac" in his ear.

hehe..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems to be a super intuitive, robust and respectable option, VEGAS DVD Architect. Serves for DVD and Blu-ray Disc Authoring.

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.com/fileadmin/user_upload/products/dvd_architect/7/en/video-1280-v...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 09, 2018 Aug 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For test I installed Encore on High Sierra and successfully make a dvd and bd iso (dont have a bd burner in the mac only dvd)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Aug 09, 2018 Aug 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Anne, that was really nice of you to take the time to do that !  Good going !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines