• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign Missing Font

New Here ,
Aug 08, 2018 Aug 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to open an InDesign file, but the file opens up saying that there is a font missing. I'm working on the latest version of MacOS and Adobe InDesign. I've gone through the Mac FontBook to verify that the "missing" font has been installed. The name of the font it says I'm missing is Avenir (T1) 95 Black. Wondering if anyone had any insight on this issue.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 10, 2018 Aug 10, 2018

The Avenir font installed on Mac is a TrueType version, not a Type 1. That's why you get this missing font alert.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,
Aug 09, 2018 Aug 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the Avenir installed in FontBook definitely the same as the Avenir in the document? OS X comes with two Avenir families (Avenir and Avenir Next), but neither use the original Linotype numbering system that the one InDesign is calling for does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Danny+Whitehead.  wrote

...OS X comes with two Avenir families (Avenir and Avenir Next), but neither use the original Linotype numbering system  ..

I am 99.9999% sure that whatever their numbering system is, neither of these two are ye olde "Type 1" PostScript fonts. That is what "(T1)" in the reported missing font name is indicating.

This, in particular, has nothing to do with "latest versions" of Mac OS and InDesign. Quite the contrary -- OP must have used such an old font type in the distant past.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, definitely. I was thinking that the Type 1 Linotype version (which it looks like was originally used) could at least be fairly safely replaced with the OpenType 'LT Std' version.

Either way, the T1 version isn't the way forward, so a replacement will have to be made at some point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i personally would not use/trust font book for professional design work. reason is that the basic font manager that comes with computers is not smart enough to tell fonts apart. as in they may have the same name but their are different types (PostScript, Opentype, Truetype).

I would recommend for you to start by getting on a professional font manager, there are free ones like FontExplorer or paid ones like suitcase fusion ( comes with a 30 day free trial).

A professional font manager will keep things segregated for you, and it will not allow you to put anything bad in it. as in a corrupted font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Aug 10, 2018 Aug 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FontExplorer isn't free, but after trialing that, Suitcase and FontAgent for a month each, a year or so ago, it's the one I settled on and would personally recommend. The exact reasons why have since slipped my mind!

Before that I used Suitcase for years, since the demise of the fondly-remembered ATM Deluxe. I'd like to see Adobe return to the font manager fold, maybe with a TypeKit application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have use this free one i found:

https://blog.spoongraphics.co.uk/articles/10-most-popular-font-managers-for-mac-windows

the one called "font explorer x1.2.3"

it never asked me to buy an upgrade or anything. Is this something else and its called the same? sorry if i was misleading. I have used it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that the version of Fontexplorer that Jonathan mentioned does not have the latest auto-activation plug-ins available. I believe that is why I switched to the paid version several years ago. It allows you to install the correct plug-ins as they come out.

EDIT: I checked the link Jonathan provided and I'm virtually positive that the one available there is the one that doesn't allow the latest auto-activation plug-ins to be installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Avenir font installed on Mac is a TrueType version, not a Type 1. That's why you get this missing font alert.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With Type 1 fonts being discontinued, I decided to switch to TT version. (I did not have any issues with T1). I have now just this week, converted to having only Avenir TT version on my system. I can see it, and can put it into place on my files and it displays correctly. But InDesign cannot find it and keeps asking me to provide it. The link between InDesign and Suitcases seems to have "broken". Anyone got any ideas please? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have now just this week, converted to having only Avenir TT version on my system

Converted what? The font files?

But InDesign cannot find it and keeps asking me to provide it.

Can you show the warning message?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines