Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Customizing responsive elements

Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2018 Aug 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I am working on a site with similar layout to this theme: https://kriesi.at/themes/enfold-consulting (static left side menu with content on right).

Under breakpoint properties I have left aligned the browser and in my main page I have inserted a slideshow to the right of the sidebar menu and pinned it along the left side.  My site gets wonky when I select responsive width for the slideshow and it scales beyond the page (see attached images).

Is there a trick to getting the slideshow to stay between the guide along the left and the right margin?

Many thanks Muse users!

Screen Shot 2018-08-07 at 6.23.36 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-08-07 at 6.23.48 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-08-07 at 6.24.17 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 08, 2018 Aug 08, 2018

Short answer: This isn’t possible. I requested a feature like this during the prerelease process, and it has been considered to be built in, but, unfortunately Muse is EOL, so we will have to live without this. The discussion about this subject can be found here, if you signed up to the prerelease program: https://forums.adobeprerelease.com/muse/discussion/4776/sidebar-the-forgotten-feature

Why is it not possible, to achieve your design idea?

In Muse, the width of responsive elements is calculated

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Aug 07, 2018 Aug 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I experienxed, it works only, when all elements, the left aligned menu bar and the slide show and of course the menu are set to be reponsive. To set the slide show to responsive in width and height, you have to click twice into the slideshow. Clicking once, sets it to be responsive in width, if you prefer that.

You may watch the site here and follow the download button.

left aligned menu ​

Take care about that double arrow to make it "look" outside:

Bildschirmfoto 2018-08-08 um 07.46.06.png

Take notice, that full height by default is not possible with muse. You´ll need a widget from 3rd party for 100% height hero slideshows, which you may still find here: musewidgets.com

Best Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2018 Aug 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks all for the quick responses and suggestions!  I definitely want the sidebar menu to stay at a fixed width, so it looks like I'll need play with 3rd party widgets.  Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 08, 2018 Aug 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Short answer: This isn’t possible. I requested a feature like this during the prerelease process, and it has been considered to be built in, but, unfortunately Muse is EOL, so we will have to live without this. The discussion about this subject can be found here, if you signed up to the prerelease program: https://forums.adobeprerelease.com/muse/discussion/4776/sidebar-the-forgotten-feature

Why is it not possible, to achieve your design idea?

In Muse, the width of responsive elements is calculated in relation to the width of the page.

When you place (a) a fixed width sidebar and (b) an element with responsive width to the right/left of this sidebar, and you want these elements to behave properly, the responsive element’s width needs to be calculated in relation to [page width minus sidebar width]. This isn’t possible in actual Muse, and as far as I see, one of the few design options, which can’t be achieved „out of the box“.

If you want a sidebar (and not a "slide in“ or something like a „hamburger style“ menu), the only workaround is, to make the sidebar responsive too. This requires deeper considerations on your page design, but it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2018 Aug 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the link to the pre-release discussion.  Interesting read with insight about various subtleties to the program.  Will keep playing with it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines