• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Very slow saves in PS 2018

Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2018 Feb 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure the exact timing, but I think it's since the last update, my saves for large files has slowed to a crawl—several minutes for a 500 MB (raw size) TIF. File export doesn't appear to be effects.

I'm using Photoshop 19.1.1 release on a Mac running MacOS 10.13.3 (High Sierra), saving to an external drive.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2018 Feb 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem saving Tiff files.
My files are 1GB but I have 32GB Ram. The 1st 95% saves fast but the last 5% can take 5 mins.
Activity monitor shows no other task taking up CPU % (all tasks <10%)
Every now and then the CPU usage for PS spikes to 25-50% in that last 5% of saving the file.

This is very frustrating. Same issue with a newly rebooted system and no other apps running.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 28, 2018 Feb 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The usual answer to this is to disable compression in Preferences > File Handling, but Preferences shows this to be for PSD and PSB files.  It can make a massive difference saving times, so I'd be inclined to give a try even if your issue is with TIF files.

Note, we had a similar thread here a few weeks ago, and out of interest and to prove a point, I tried saving a very large file with Compression on and off.  A 30 second save with compression off, turned into ten minutes with compression on, and that was with a half reasonable system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2018 Aug 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked the box to disable compression, but had NO NOTICEABLE change in save times - still takes several minutes (like 10 minutes or more) to save a large PSD file (662 Mb) with several layers and a big PNG layer.  I have 16 Gb RAM, dual HDDs, GeForce GT630 GPU... and this has been a very adequate system when running CS5 and 2015 - but 2018 is useless to me now.

This is so annoying it makes 2018 CC version UNUSABLE for all intents and purposes. I have tried using my second HDD as a scratch disk - no change. I tried disabling my GPU - no change. Turned the GPU back on - no change. Bottom line: I can NOT figure out why these large files take so long to save in 2018. The same files running in 2015 or CS5 worked / saved "normally" - meaning large files DO take longer, but NOT 10 minutes - more like 1 or 2 minutes at the most.

I can not understand why 2018's performance in this matter is so much worse than its predecessors. I wish I had a solution. For now, I'm uninstalling 2018 and going back to 2015 or CS5 so I can actually get some work done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 13, 2019 Jan 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem with TIF's too.  very annoying and very disruptive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 14, 2019 Jan 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well disabling compression for PSD and PSB files is probably not going to affect saving to TIFF

The other thing you can do is set backward compatibility to never.  You'd need to re-enable that if you wanted to use Displacement maps at any time

So how big are these TIF files on the drive?

Have you compared the TIFF files to PSD for the same document?

Why are you using TIFF over PSD?

What options are you using when saving to TIFF?  'None' would lead to the fastest save.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

The other thing you can do is set backward compatibility to never. 

That's a problem because it skips the flattened composite layer. That's basically what "backwards compatibility" means.

So it can't be used in Lightroom or any other PSD-compatible application (such as some DAM software).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/D+Fosse  wrote

Trevor.Dennis   wrote

The other thing you can do is set backward compatibility to never. 

So it can't be used in Lightroom or any other PSD-compatible application (such as some DAM software).

...including if File Compatibility is set to Never, you can’t place the PSD into InDesign or Illustrator.

If you want to go back and forth, I would say “Ask me (and annoy me) every time”, but I keep it on Always and Don’t Ask because of the other two programs, both of which I use extensively.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, of course, ID/Ai too. I'm in the process of setting up new DAM for my master files here at work, so my mind was a bit preoccupied with that...

And like you, I have it always on. I did that the very first time I saw an empty thumbnail in Lightroom, and haven't touched it since.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use use any compression, the files can be a single image layer which is about 200mb (not at all large) and I use TIF files as a choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is completely off the charts. Something's definitely wrong here.

I just tried saving a 500MB file to TIFF (16 bit no compression). As expected, it went so fast that I wasn't able to measure it with the stopwatch on my phone. Well under half a sec.

Maybe you're saving to a disk that is about to fail?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/D+Fosse  wrote

This is completely off the charts. Something's definitely wrong here.

It begs the question as to whether the OP has a proper backup strategy.

I just tested  with a 350Mb PSD file (on the drive) with 50m layers.  It loaded and saved to TIFF in less than a second, and the TIFF then loaded again in well  under a second.  (Samsung 512Gb 960PRO with lots of space space)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an issue with TIF files.  Please read the original post and the  post of others having the same problems.  Unless of course this is Adobe's way to force users to adopt its own proprietary file format, then this is a problem adobe needs to fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2020 Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi! If anyone was still looking for solution with older Photoshop versions. For me personally the issue with very slow saving of TIFF files imported from lightroom got fixed by installing Camera Raw Plugin. I installed it to open multiple images from LR as layers and since then all TIFF files are saved in lighting speed 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines