• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Smart Objects need to retain blend mode or warping multiple layers

Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2018 Aug 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have multiple layers in a set L3 that need to warp matching the building curvature.

Screen Shot 2018-08-10 at 11.33.28 AM.png

Since you cannot warp mutiple layers, or  transform again to do this, I made a smart object, Unfortanately the screen and soft light blend modes go away, and the background is not blending with building.

Screen Shot 2018-08-10 at 11.33.37 AM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Try setting the smart object to the same blending mode as the lowest layer within it. It may work depending on the other layers and layer content

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply, That was one of the first things I tried. Surpsised I never ran into this before.

I also looked into the blend if, knockout and the checkeboxes below

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a limitation of the smart object. Once the layers are in that container they are treated as a separate document with the result acting just like a pixel layer in the master document. So the layers inside the SO blend with each other using their individual blend modes, but then the result is blended with the master document using the single blend mode assigned to the SO.

It would be useful though if an SO could be given a "Pass through" blend mode in the same way as a group.

You could raise a feature request here : Photoshop Family Customer Community

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for confirming, that is what I was finding. Was hoping there was a workaround, and with smart objects being so popular that someone might have found a workaround, or a few others as yourself confirming there is no workaround.

Would even be great if transform again would work on a warp, kind of like liquify lets you use that last used transformation.

I finished the by combining the top 3 layers and then the bottom 2, and visually doing the warp twice. Not as easy to get a nice result, and I even set layers temporarily to normal blend mode, then back to screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2022 Jun 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion. I have the same request. Please vote! Created it here:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-ideas/feature-request-support-pass-through-blendi...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Feb 01, 2024 Feb 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You could try to add the part of the builitinside that smart object. That way it would keep the effect 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines