• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere suddenly choppy on Windows 7

New Here ,
Aug 10, 2018 Aug 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not experience this issue with playback using VLC outside premiere. At no point during playback to *any* of the CPU threads hit 100%.

Latest PPro. Windows 7. HP Z820, 32GB, Dual Xeon E5-2650.

Footage is primarily Sony XAVC-L from the FS5, but I'd been using this footage just fine for some time.

The only change made to my system that may have had an effect is a set of windows updates on August 3rd. I don't know how old they are, but they were pushed out by IT, and impossible to roll back. Looking up a few of the KBs at microsoft, it appears some of them may address meltdown/spectre, which makes this suspect, as that would affect the way CPUs work in general. Maybe the CPU patch means Premiere Pro thinks it can get more performance from the threads and is having some buffer/timing issues because of unexpectedly reduced CPU performance? (or something?)

If the Service Pack is the issue, I'd think somebody else would be experiencing it as well at this point.  Thoughts?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When a player such as VLC plays the file back well, does not mean it will play well in Premiere as Pr is an editor and not a player.

I usually reinstall Pr after a windows update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I understand it does not use the playback mechanism. I'm saying the GPU/CPU aren't obviously at fault here. (That doesn't mean it's not an 'other' issue--I'm just saying I can't reproduce a similar issue outside premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot compare Pr with VLC they are two different programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been editing for 20 years. I'm well aware they are different programs. I'm not quite sure what you're trying to accomplish here, other than just to be smug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your comparison wont help you a bit i trying to solve your issue,

Just trying to help but not welcome I gather. bye.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CoryTV  wrote

I'm saying the GPU/CPU aren't obviously at fault here.

That is not necessarily true.

A driver update or rollback directly from the video card manufacturer's site may fix your problem.

You could also try resetting the preferences:

FAQ: How to reset preferences in Premiere Pro?

If that doesn't work, try resetting the Workspaces:

Reset a workspace

Reset the current workspace to return to its original, saved layout of panels.

1. Do one of the following:
    • Click the Workspace menu icon and select Reset to Saved Layout.
    • Choose Window > Workspace > Reset to Saved Layout.

from here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/workspaces.html

CoryTV  wrote

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to accomplish here, other than just to be smug.

Ann Bens is a well respected member of this forum and is correct in what she says.  You may find that if you allow her to help you (even if you don't agree with what she says), her suggestion may solve your problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have windows 7 pro on the pig ( editing computer). It hasn't been hooked up to internet for about 4 years. Recently I installed some stuff ( BM card ) and had to connect it to internet for latest drivers and so on... I basically have everything turned OFF (auto updates etc.) including adobe products. But I did have to get a bunch of updates a few weeks ago when I did this installation thing. There really wasn't ANYTHING new for win 7 which is basically defunct and not supported by MS anymore. Especially a "service pack" update. That's like way into the dinosaur period.  I'm sorta amazed that people can actually use modern PPro stuff on a win 7 machine. That's amazing.

I use cs6

Maybe there's a way for you to "repair" your win 7 stuff using the disc(s) you have. Otherwise I would ask your IT people to consider just upgrading to win 10 and live with the horrible auto update stuff they shove down our throats. I have win 10 on my laptop and I hate it.

hehe...

Luckily I've managed to turn almost all of that auto update stuff OFF, but it's like someone else has control of my computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2018 Aug 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ah, if it were only that simple and corporate IT wasn't a thing. I *WISH* could manage my own updates.

I'm fairly certain the deal is the spectre/meltdown fix for intel CPUs to patch a vulnerability.

My thinking is that Microsoft didn't exactly go out of its way to make sure the Windows 7 version was particularly optimized.
This repairs very serious vulnerabilities in the processors themselves--and that's why they went back and did the update for 7.  LOTS of big corporates use win 7 still--and I don't get much say as to what hw fixes are done.

The footage is definitely more processor intensive than other footage (HLG XAVC-L) But it wasn't a problem until now.  Hopefully I'll get a new machine, but I think the answer is going to be 'live with it' for a while.

<Sigh>

I'll try all the voodoo fixes, but as I said, nothing really CHANGED other than the SP. 

I guess what I'm really looking for is somebody with a W7 installation updated to the latest service packs who saw some issue or is having some issue so as to triangulate. A lot to ask, I know.

Thanks for trying everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines