• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sony RAW Import Always Has Sharpness = 40

New Here ,
Aug 10, 2018 Aug 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since using my new Sony A7 R III (42MP), I now notice when I import my RAW photos, they

automatically show a sharpness value of "40".  I am not telling in to sharpen as a import preset,

they just show up this way.  I usually sharpen myself.

My older Sony camera A6300 (24MP) did not do this, was always 0 and I sharpened it.

Can somebody explain to me what is going on and what this means?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 10, 2018 Aug 10, 2018

That means that when Adobe created the default settings for your camera Adobe determined that was a good starting point for sharpness when they created the default settings. If that isn't suitable in your situation, then create your own default settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That means that when Adobe created the default settings for your camera Adobe determined that was a good starting point for sharpness when they created the default settings. If that isn't suitable in your situation, then create your own default settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

40 is the default - if you find that you start out with a different setting you can create an import preset with that adjustment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do we do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I personally like the method outlined in this video. I'm kind of a slow learner, and I had to watch it a couple of times to fully understand it. But it works for me.

Setting camera defaults in Lightroom Classic 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, thats for LR i use Bridge and CR. I've tried just now to change setting in CR to use my camera settings and Sharpness is still at 40 grrrr

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set your defaults in ACR in Photoshop- (See the link)

In Ps Menu: Edit > Preferences > Camera Raw

Create a Preset with Sharpness set as you want it and make the Preset your camera default.

The method is the same in both ACR and LrC Preferences- As in the link given by Jim Hess.

More detail is given in the Blog from Julianne Kost-

ACR v12.3 RAW DEFAULTS Julieanne Kost's Blog

ScreenShot338.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FINNALY! Thanks dude

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 16, 2020 Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue and this is completely ridiculous! Why would they change what worked ok and make it complicated? I was unwhare of this change and now I have tons of photos of 40 sharpness aplied wich ruined all of them!

Before it was so much easier, just ALT and press a button and all new importes would have sharpness 0!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 16, 2020 Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

and as I can see, my sharpness is back to 40 after I've edited RAW DEFAULTS. Maybe when they update the program it goes back to 40? 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines