• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

More than heading 3 in Split on Style when importing Word doc?

New Here ,
Oct 01, 2008 Oct 01, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I hope that you can help me. My Word document (Windows XP) has Heading 4 style.

When I import the word document into RoboHelp 7 HTML, the Split on Style box only has Heading 1, 2, and 3. Why doesn't Heading 4 show up? Can RoboHelp 7 split topics on Heading 4 or more styles on import? If so, how?

Thank you for your help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See here for an article on how to import documents. Focus particularly on the use of styles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, I cannot see what your post is referring to. Could you please repost it differently?

Thank your for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click the word "here". It is a link.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 10, 2009 Mar 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, all,

I am so confused! I was wondering, dyhw, if you figured out this situation?

I also have a Word 2003 document that has a fairly clean template and 4 heading levels: Heading 1, Heading 2, Heading 3, and Heading 4. The Word TOC generates just fine.

When I import into RH 7, I tried with "preserve heading levels" both off and on; "convert TOC" both off and on--no luck. What is happening is that although Heading 4 topics are created in the TOC, there is no separate HTM file--the topics are appended to the Heading 3 (book).

On import, the "Split on Style" dialog lists in the "Create new topics based on" checkboxes only H1, H2, and H3--as well as TOC1, TOC3, TOC4, and BodyText (???). Where is Heading 4? And what does "Rename style (F2)" do? I tried to use that to rename TOC4 to Heading 4, but that didn't seem to change anything.

I am *very* confused as to how to import my Word doc and actually see generated Help--and I haven't been able to apply my skin, either--but I guess that is another topic in the forum...

Any help, guidance, etc. will be gratefully accepted! I have looked at the topic referenced in this thread and couldn't see anything listed that I haven't already tried.

Thanks in advance,

Kathy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 11, 2009 Mar 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a new document with just a few paragraphs and use the Headings 1 to 4 from your normal template in that document. Now attempt to import that into a new project. Does heading 4 show up as an option?

I am wondering if your existing heading 4 is a true Word heading style or just something that someone has called heading 4.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 12, 2009 Mar 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Peter. I tried what you suggested and had no problem, so clearly it was a doc issue.

The Heading 4 style was fine (not sure how something cannot be a Word heading style?). The culprit ended up being a style that somehow became a numbered list...and a style based on it continued the numbering across topics. So instead of a H3 with H4s and another H3 with H4s, I had one gigantic H3 that included the entire bogus list.

Once I corrected the numbering problem, the issue disappeared.

Thanks, again, for pointing me in the right direction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2009 Mar 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
"not sure how something cannot be a Word heading style"

Basically by renaming a non heading style Heading Whatever. Word has styles it knows as true headings and renaming others does not make them headings.

People sometimes take the normal style and edit it, then call it say H1, then edit again and call it H2 and so on. It looks how they want and they know it as a heading. Then on the forum they state they have used Heading 1 and Heading 2. Not the same thing.

Glad problem is sorted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp