• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Quality in save for web

Engaged ,
Aug 04, 2018 Aug 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, i noticed the quality slider is at 60 in save for web, since it was like that when I opened PS, I suppose it's a default and I should live like that, I would appreciate a confirmation, thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 04, 2018 Aug 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For photography, 100 and Optimized is the best.  80-100 would be good.

The lower you set the quality, the more picture data you throw out to reduce the image's space on your drive. That loss is permanent and gets worse if you resave. Jpeg is called a "final delivery format" for that reason. If disk space is no object, go with 100.

Now Save for web allows you to interactively preview what you see at the different quality levels. You may not notice at 100%, but blow it up to 300% and you can see edge artifacts and noticeable degrading in pure red areas at lower levels...about below 80. Jpeg is called "lossy compression" for that reason and is not meant for graphics and cartoons with sharp lines and pure colors. PNG is better.

You also see what amount of disk space the image will take up at lower settings, and you can make the decision as to the best compromise between quality and space in case you have to host the image on a site with data caps. Sometimes the site will even do that for you.

So there is no one number for everything. Use your eyes to see how much quality you can throw out if space is a problem. If not, 100 is best. I keep it there myself. If I lose the master copies (keep backups), at least it is the best quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 05, 2018 Aug 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

gener7 has given an excellent explanation of the quality slider. I would add one more thing about the defaults.

By default, 'Convert to sRGB' and 'Embed color profile' are unchecked. Both should be checked when saving images for web use so that browsers can display color correctly. Why the default is off, I have no idea.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know why either, Dave. I've checked on both. Odd that you have to actually save a file for web, or those boxes won't stay checked.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone at Adobe has this idea that color management is bad for the web. If you check around the apps intended for web use, you'll notice that all of them have color management turned off by default, if it's there at all. So apparently it's policy.

As if embedding a profile corrupts the whole internet or something.

Embedding a color profile will only benefit some of the people some of the time. OK, I get that. But here's the thing: to the rest of them, it makes no difference. So it's either win, or business as usual.

Save For Web will keep it on once checked. But Export actually turns it off every time. That's why I'm still not using it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amazing. It does. Have you reported it as a bug, or has Adobe told you that's the way it's supposed to work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 10, 2018 Aug 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, actually they are copies to reduce to 5 Mb to throw in the garbage once sent, so space is not an issue. Out of curiosity, I can't find export in save for web/file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines