Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unsupported format or damaged file

Community Beginner ,
Aug 08, 2018 Aug 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

A few weeks ago I have started to ancounter this issue, where Premiere Pro CC 2018 has stopped recognizing avi format gaming videos recorded with Bandicam. I have looked up the issue online and tried everything from chnaging the language from Russian to English, changing the file name and location to restarting program and PC (obviously). And nothing has helped me. It still throws the same issue to the avi bandicam files that I try to import. It's worth acclaring that I haven't recently changed any settings and the program used to work perfectly fine with these files, since I've recorded and edited some before.

Any suggestions you might have?

Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 08, 2018 Aug 08, 2018

Premiere Pro 2018 stopped supporting some codecs of the known Quicktime 7 era, here is the list because AVI is not in the list of supported codecs.

Dropped support for QuickTime 7 era formats and codecs

Captura de pantalla 2018-08-08 a la(s) 21.27.39.png

A solution would be to transcode your videos, maybe it will be many but there is no other. Here is the HandBrake, which is a transcoder that can be useful for you.

https://handbrake.fr/

Regards!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to mention the codec with which Bandicam is configured.

If you are using YV12, choose another one, because you will get the message "Unsupported format or damaged file"

Sin título-1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2018 Aug 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was using a H264 nvidia video codec and PCM audio one:

пабг.jpg

From the list that byroncortezh has provided, I can see that there's a H.264.. I guess that's the issue, right? Any suggestions which codec I should use best then?

Thanks for the answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately Premiere Pro is not compatible with the Nvidia NVENC screening codec. Have a test transcoding a video file with HandBrake and then import it into PrPro to see if this solution will work for you.

HandBrake https://handbrake.fr/

Reference list Premiere Pro CC supported file formats

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Already transcoded it with HandBrake, thanks a lot for the link! And for the answers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a Bandicam user, and can use other codecs, I use the TSCC Camtasia, not the TSC2:

https://www.techsmith.com/codecs.html

Premiere perfectly opens the avi with most of the codecs provided by the program and those of the system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it's a matter of quality and Premiere compability. I have looked up the previous settings setup from some videos about the matter, it seemed like the best option. Now I guess I'll switch to MPEG-1.. I really wouldn't want to have video/audio losses or delay or some troubles and keep the best quality for some gaming content

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried the Bandicam codecs:

Xvid

MPEG-1

Motion JPEG

YU12 does not work

RGB24

and those of the Windows system, with everything works perfectly in AVI container.

However, I found better performance and quality with the Camtasia TSCC codec, using the external codec option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I forgot the problem, when you choose H264, you have to change the container to MP4, Premiere does not support H264 in AVI container.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hm, you're right, worked fine in MP4. Is it better to use AVI or MP4?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The container has a relation to the codec that is selected, the h264 is MP4, the rest of the codec of the program in AVI.

For me AVI is better, you can use Motion JPEG or Xvid as a codec, if you do not want to install anything, if you want to install TSCC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro 2018 stopped supporting some codecs of the known Quicktime 7 era, here is the list because AVI is not in the list of supported codecs.

Dropped support for QuickTime 7 era formats and codecs

Captura de pantalla 2018-08-08 a la(s) 21.27.39.png

A solution would be to transcode your videos, maybe it will be many but there is no other. Here is the HandBrake, which is a transcoder that can be useful for you.

https://handbrake.fr/

Regards!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Step 2B below will solve this for you.

Unofficial Premiere Pro Troubleshooting Guide

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines