• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moving Folder Not Finishing

Explorer ,
Aug 11, 2018 Aug 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I use Lightroom to move a folder to another disc, it will never say it's finished.  I can see that all files have been moved, but this dialog progress bar will not complete. 

When I try and quit Lightroom, I get this warning "Moving folder in progress"

Then, when I do quit, and re-open Lightroom, it doesn't know where that folder lives (even though it shows it on the other volume)

Screenshot_8_11_18__10_42_AM.png

Screenshot_8_11_18__10_45_AM-2.png

Any ideas????

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Aug 12, 2018 Aug 12, 2018

Because I have to move fast on the field and can't start taking out external drives.

I guess asking a question on this forum elicits more commentary than actually answering the question.

I would delete the question if I could, but I'll leave you with this from Adobe's site:

Move_folders_around_in_Lightroom___Adobe_Photoshop_Lightroom_CC_tutorials.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Move folders using your operating system and then reconnect in Lightroom. Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

Also, in the long run, don't move folders from disk to disk, put the photos on the final disk they will be stored on, instead of putting the photos on disk 1 only to move them to disk 2 later. (Of course, there are exceptions where you'd need to move the photos to a different disk because you have disk that needs to be replaced ... in which case see paragraph 1).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not move the folder using the operating system. . .I used it using Lightroom, which is what is recommended by Adobe.

Additionally, I need to work locally on my machine, and then when I'm done, I move them to an external drive .

I've never heard of only storing photos on their final destination disc?

This is a workflow I've used for YEARS . . . faster performance when working locally, and then "archiving" them to an external disc when finish.

Anyway, the issue is that using Lightroom to move the folder/files doesn't "finish"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The disk photos are stored on has no effect on speed. By putting photos on disk 1 and then later moving them to disk 2, it is just extra work. Just put them on disk 2 straight out of the camera.

There are reports throughout the years that moving photos within Lightroom is buggy, and you are experiencing a bug. The workaround is simple: move the photos using your operating system, and then reconnect in Lightroom; and in the long run, don't even move them, put them right out of the camera to disk 2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone ELSE have any ideas ?

While storing images on a final destination drive works for some people, for me, when shooting an NFL game, and having to move fast, I can't do that. . . .so

Any other ideas of why that's not working via Lightroom?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom is not a file browser. You are better off using your OS tools (Windows File Explorer or Mac Finder) to move folders or large numbers of files then use the "find missing folder" process in Lightroom.

There are plenty of reports of LR sometimes dropping the ball when moving files. Many times the original files cannot be recovered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 12, 2018 Aug 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SeesTheDay  wrote

Anyone ELSE have any ideas ?

While storing images on a final destination drive works for some people, for me, when shooting an NFL game, and having to move fast, I can't do that. . . .so

Any other ideas of why that's not working via Lightroom?

I don't understand why shooting an NFL game and having to Move Fast has anything to do with placing images on any specific drive when importing them into the LR catalog.

The cause of all images not being moved to another drive using LR can be be from the OS and LR loosing contact with that other drive.

Depending on what type of computer you are using, Mac or Windows, the cause of an external drive dropping off can be cause by several different reasons.

As suggested above try using the OS File Manager to move images then Reconnect them to the drive they were moved to in LR.

If you are importing these images onto the internal drive of a notebook and then you need to move them to an external drive for long term storage just do all editing and exporting of the images from the notebooks internal drive and then when time permits move them to the external for long term storage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use your workflow. Import on my laptop's SSD disk in the field, work on those images, publish, export etc. Then I move entire folders to an external RAID unit when I am in my office. I also have a backup regime in there but won't describe that for time sake. This works fantastic and is definitely the right thing to do when you work with large numbers of images, shoot events and edit on site, or like me you travel with your camera and laptop but don't schlepp external disks with you. There is a major difference in speed between the images being on your internal SSD drive and an external spinning disk unit so even if you didn't have a moving working station, having the most recent images on your internal absolutely makes a difference that is easily noticeable.

For your workflow, the best thing to do is to move the folder in your operating system and then reconnect the folder to its new location in Lightroom (right or control click and do a "update folder location"). The folder moving inside Lightroom has been not entirely trustworthy over the year and has for some people led to loss of images. I have never experienced this problem myself but for safety sake, simply moving folders outside of Lightroom and reconnecting is probably the more safe thing to do and probably also faster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a major difference in speed between the images being on your internal SSD drive and an external spinning disk unit so even if you didn't have a moving working station, having the most recent images on your internal absolutely makes a difference that is easily noticeable.

This is a rather thorough study that comes to the opposite conclusion.

Will an SSD Improve Adobe Lightroom Performance? | Computer Darkroom

Nevertheless, I agree if you are working on location with a laptop. then the only real choice is to put the photos on the internal drive and then move them later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That article uses very old and slow SSD drives. It only does 240 MB/s. Apple's last mac book pros have over 2 gigabyte/second on the internal ssd and many modern windows laptops get similar speeds. Even my 5-year old Apple laptop has >500 MB/second speeds. My RAID connected over USB3 gets 200 MB/second or so and most external disks are much slower than that with maybe 100 MB/s being typical.

I've never really quantified it but when I import a card with say 1000 images and start working (I don't wait for the import to finish in general), it is far more responsive when imported to the internal SSD than an external even when using the RAID. But of course this is all immaterial if you import on your internal disk first because that is the only thing you have with you 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, SSDs are now faster. But what hasn't changed is that disk access by Lightroom is a relatively tiny portion of the time that your computer has Lightroom open, after the initial launch and reading of the catalog. Maybe importing is sped up by a faster SSD, but the develop module has very little disk access, an SSD won't speed up the develop module by a noticeable amount.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Jao+vdL  wrote

That article uses very old and slow SSD drives. It only does 240 MB/s. Apple's last mac book pros have over 2 gigabyte/second on the internal ssd and many modern windows laptops get similar speeds.

While SSDs are much faster now than they were when the article was originally written, this hasn't helped improve Develop module performance. Even the improvements in photo import are largely, but not solely, due to the way Lr7 imports photos (i.e. concurrent imports and parallel preview building). Yes, Lr7 read/write speed to the catalog has benefited significantly from faster SSDs, but the same cannot be said for read/write speed to XMP or actual files. From my own tests, I find little, if any, difference between reading/writing to XMP on the internal 900 MB/s 1TB SSD in my late 2013 Mac Pro and a 120 MB/s 1TB USB 3.0 spinning disk. So, even though SSDs have seen massive performance improvements in recent years, the closing paragraph in original article is still largely true.

Regarding the OPs issue with moving folders/images from within the application, this too has been improved to the extent that Lr7 Move is  pretty close to the OS. However, there are still situations when moving folders/files from within the application can result in failure and even data loss. I don't believe anyone has established why though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because I have to move fast on the field and can't start taking out external drives.

I guess asking a question on this forum elicits more commentary than actually answering the question.

I would delete the question if I could, but I'll leave you with this from Adobe's site:

Move_folders_around_in_Lightroom___Adobe_Photoshop_Lightroom_CC_tutorials.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've used the LR Library module and the Folders section to move thousands of image files without problems. But they are from one folder to another on the same drive.

But I have had the same problem as you when using LR to move images from one drive, internal or external, to some other drive, internal or external.

You and I are not the only ones that have had this problem. That is why you are getting the suggestion to move images outside of LR and then reconnecting them in LR.

That video you posted a link to is from LR 4, years old, and the biggest point is the number of images being moved is small.

So the suggestion posted to your question, "Any Ideas", and actually explained in that video is to move a large number of images from one drive to another is to do it outside of LR then Reconnect in LR.

If you really want this whole discussion removed reply to this post and I'll delete the whole discussion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Just+Shoot+Me  wrote

If you really want this whole discussion removed reply to this post and I'll delete the whole discussion.

There is nothing in this thread that warrants deletion, and lots of reasons that justify it remaining available for future access by others.

Do NOT remove this discussion!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is nothing in this thread that hasn't already been covered, and will be covered again, many time.

So to appease the OP I would delete it if requested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Reply 10 is new information

Plus, you don't know who else is reading along and might be benefiting because its all new information to them.

DO NOT DELETE THIS THREAD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines