Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Topics shown in Search results that shouldn't show

Mar 12, 2009 Mar 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I preview the compiled help file and do a search for a word it's displaying topics that I don't want to show. These topics are not in the TOC and are not Indexed.

I inherited our co's Tech Writer position so I'm learning about RH by trial and error. I'm using RH7. The help files were created in RH 5 (or earlier) but had to install RH7 on Vista.

While working on an existing RH Help file I have a few topics that were mistakes, from me experimenting, or are the old one's that I'm updating and changing. In either case I thought I could leave them hidden inside just as a safety measure or to refer back to. I assumed if they weren't put into TOC or Indexed than they shouldn't show to the outside world. When I search on a word that's either in the topic title or in the text those topics are listed.

Can I prevent them from showing in Search? They don't show in TOC and they don't show in the Index. Is my only option to delete them? I've looked all through the Topic properties and don't find a solution.

Thanks

Jim

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
I should have added as an example that I have created a build tag called Admin, and I assign it to topics and content that are in the project for my own reference, but that clients shouldn't see. I also have build tags assigned to content that is inserted into my project for software changes that are further down the road than the next release, so that I can exclude them until that release is ready.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim. If you want to exclude topics or even parts of topics from Search, it takes a bit more than excluding them from the TOC and Index. Take a look at Build Tags. They are a simple way to identify topics or content within topics to be excluded from your build, or conversely, to be included as needed if you compile multiple "flavors" of your Help. Build tags are used in conjunction with a build statement you create as you generate your output. If you can't get going from the Help info on build tags, holler back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should have added as an example that I have created a build tag called Admin, and I assign it to topics and content that are in the project for my own reference, but that clients shouldn't see. I also have build tags assigned to content that is inserted into my project for software changes that are further down the road than the next release, so that I can exclude them until that release is ready.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that gives me somewhere to go look for solution.

Thank you very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again for the example. Is this like conditional text? Or something slightly different? I guess I'll figure that out once I get in there. I'll let you know what I end up with.

Jim Rogers
Legal Files Software, Inc.
Springfield, IL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that's basically what it is. text you identify as subject to a build statement that includes it or excludes it. when you generate your build, you'll see where you can build the statement. It's way wicked easy, as we say over he-ah in these pa-hts (NH).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great. I'm on it right now. And whatever way you say it, it is appreciated very much in these parts!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
That was the solution.

Thanks again!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp