• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

imported photos will no longer show unless SD card they were uploaded from is inserted

New Here ,
Aug 12, 2018 Aug 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't changed any of my lightroom settings but for some reason the last few imports I have done, unless the SD card that the raw files are on is inserted, when I click on them in develop- I get an error message that says they are offline or missing.  Does anybody have any suggestions for how to fix this or where the files could be?  I want to be able to erase the memory cards for future shoots but want to have the option to re-edit the photos later on.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have somehow accidentally imported the photos on your SD card using the ADD option. This means that Lightroom will look for the photos on the SD card only. What you need to do is copy the photos to your hard disk using your operating system, and then eject the SD card and tell Lightroom where the photos are now located on your hard disk. To tell Lightroom where the photos are now located, please follow these instructions: Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you defined the SD card as the destination of the imported photos, so instead of being copied to the hard disk, they were copied to another folder on the SD card.

You can solve this by dragging that folder on the SD card (in the Lightroom folder panel) to the hard disk (also in the folder panel).

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lindsayd78720798  wrote

...Does anybody have any suggestions for how to fix this or where the files could be?...

Obviously the files are on your SD Card.  You imported them using the "Add" option rather than "Copy".  I suggest you copy them from the SD card to the folder where you originally intended to put them using your computer OS and then reconnect Lightroom to them from within Lightroom.  After they are reconnected and after you made backups of the photo files...(not the catalog but the photo files themselves)...only then can you safely reformat your SD card in camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 'ADD' option should be disabled when you import from a memory card, but what you can (unfortunately) do is copy them back to the memory card by mistake.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should be disabled, but many report that it is not disabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

dj_paige  wrote

Should be disabled, but many report that it is not disabled.

Yes, that is why I emphasized the word 'should'. Some old card readers apparently don't behave well, and so the system does not recognize that the card is a removable.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have edited these images using Lightroom, and don't want to have to start over, then you're going to have to move them using Lightroom and move them to your hard drive. You'll have to be careful because it's easy to lose images in the process. But I think it would probably be the best approach in this particular situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines