• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Could Not "..." becuase the scratch disks are full?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2018 Aug 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm currently using Photoshop cc 2018 on a MacBook Air. My laptop doesn't come with that much memory to begin with so its a struggle lowkey. Anyways after i updated from cc 17 to cc 18 I started to run into an issue where I couldn't complete simple tasks bc my scratch disks are full. I only have 7Gbs of memory free which in fact IS NOT full. I see myself having to free memory anytime I want to use photoshop. This wouldn't be so much of an issue but on CC17 i never once got that error message no matter how low on memory i was. I could have 100mb left and photoshop would still let me do whatever I have to do. No I'm not looking to purchase an external memory source so please don't mention that to me. I'm looking for a way to completely remove or bypass that issue since it seemed to only happen in the newer version of photoshop.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update to the latest version of Photoshop CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im on the latest version

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 11, 2018 Aug 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

You cannot bypass using a scratch disk. It is Photoshop's way of managing the temporary storage needed whilst it work on open documents. If id did not have access to temporary disk space it would be flagging out of memory errors regularly.

The fact is that 7GB of space left on your scratch disk is not much and the need to use it will be even higher with less RAM. To use Photoshop you will need to clear some space on your disk.

Just in way of comparison I have 64GB RAM installed here. I currently have 3 multilayered documents open and just checked my scratch file. Photoshop is using over 16GB of scratch space on the designated disk. It will use even more if I start merging panoramas.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2018 Aug 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave, what im not understanding is how this was no issue on CC2017 i could use photoshop with little to no memory at all with no problems less than 1gb at some points but with this update (cc2018) it stops me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm really struggling with the latest Photoshop CC for the same reason. In previous versions of Photoshop CC, 5 GB of free disk space was more than enough to perform simple edit tasks (I'm not doing large format editing, nor am I trying to do anything complex). Even immediately after doing a Purge All and restarting Photoshop, it will still complain and refuse to undertake simple operations.

I don't find this acceptable. There is no reason Photoshop suddenly requires 5+ GB free. It doesn't even try to use the space, this error is a bug, pure and simple.

For reference I'm on Mac OS X 10.12.6 on a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) running Photoshop CC 19.1.15.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too believe it is a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2018 Sep 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm having the same issue, but I have 350+ GB of free disk space. So it doesn't seem to be a space issue at all, but rather an error or bug of some sort.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines