• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Online publishing resolution gets worse going down the page?

LEGEND ,
Aug 11, 2018 Aug 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all! I am relatively new to Indesign. I was trying to use Adobe Character Animator to pose characters, then create a comic book from the results (dropping in PNG screen grabs). The overall result is working pretty well so far (in my opinion anyway! 😉  But any advice or opinions always welcome! (I am not a professional - this is a hobby for me.)

But I was hitting an issue with the online publishing support in Indesign. If you zoom in on the screenshot below, on the left is a PDF file I exported. If you look at the characters the resolution is good. The right is the online published document. It seems like the resolution is getting worse going down the page - look at the face of the red clothing guy. The screen shots are all the same size and resolution. I understand that pixelization can occur - but not why the same image size and resolution is getting worse going down a page. Is there something I can do to fix it?

I will probably just publish the PDF document instead, but was curious if I am doing something wrong.

The current online draft of the comic is here https://indd.adobe.com/view/3902da7a-066a-448a-9e2c-de...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Aug 13, 2018 Aug 13, 2018

Can you try one more thing? Select the problem image, and go to Object menu > Object Export Options. Choose EPUB and HTML and set preserve appearance to "Rasterize Container" and Resultion to "300 ppi." Publish again via Publish Online and let us know the result.

This is written up here: https://indesignsecrets.com/controlling-publish-online-image-resolution.php

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,
Aug 12, 2018 Aug 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, the resolution of all look pretty good, EXCEPT the one image on that page, marked below. Can you check its resolution (Window > Info panel) compared to the others on that page? It's really different from all the others. Otherwise, looks good, you're not doing anything wrong.

Recommend you go with Publish Online; it's much easier for folks to click a link than it is to download a PDF. Plus they can download a PDF from Publish Online if they choose.  Or perhaps you should publish both ways.

pubon-res.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 12, 2018 Aug 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Diane. Here is the "Info" panel for the three images, top to bottom. The images are all 1080p (1920x1080) generated by Adobe Character Animator "export frame". Inside Indesign, even in editing mode (where you can see some pixelation on purpose for rendering speed) its not as bad as the online publishing mode.

Top one:

Middle one:

Bottom one (the looks really blurry):

The three highlighted files in Windows explorer also shows the files to be similar sizes:

Shift-W in Indesign ("Presentation" view mode) also comes up cleanly.

The "Download PDF" link downloads a PDF also looks good. So it just seems to be something funny with the online publishing mode. I might try fiddling with scale factors in case I am tickling some edge condition.

The following is the downloaded PDF - looks good as well.

The only time it comes out badly is the online publishing mode. Most of the images are fine, but there are other pages with problems as well. It seems like the more it scales down an image, the more it struggles to preserve the original quality. In this case the three images are pretty similar (same original size) yet the final result for the online publishing render is visually very different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Aug 13, 2018 Aug 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try one more thing? Select the problem image, and go to Object menu > Object Export Options. Choose EPUB and HTML and set preserve appearance to "Rasterize Container" and Resultion to "300 ppi." Publish again via Publish Online and let us know the result.

This is written up here: https://indesignsecrets.com/controlling-publish-online-image-resolution.php

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Diane,

hm, don't know, but I see a lot of problem images.

Like the two at the bottom of page 2:

Comic-page-2-200%.png

This screenshot is made by zooming to 200% in the browser ( Firefox on Mac OS X 10.11.6 ).

I saved page 2 with my browser and can see that resolution of all the three images of my screenshot is the same 96 ppi but quality of the two images at the bottom of the page is inferior.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Uwe, I see those now. I do think it's something in the file, though. I don't think the publishing process can be creating the resolution breakdown, or at least I've never seen it before. Let's see if adjusting Object Export Options helps. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed the following: "Select the problem image, and go to Object menu > Object Export Options. Choose EPUB and HTML and set preserve appearance to "Rasterize Container" and Resultion to "300 ppi." Publish again via Publish Online and let us know the result."

That image (the bottom of the three) now looks perfect compared to the other images on the page.

The other page you pointed me at also suggested improving the overall resolution on the "Advanced" tab (instead of 96dpi).

I think that also helped, but not as much (compare to above screenshot).

So thank you, with my last question being should I increase the resolution for all objects one by one (using "Rasterize Container" and Resultion to "300 ppi.") or is there a global setting I can use? The "Advanced" tab stops at 144dpi - the per object setting goes to 300dpi.  I realize the file will be bigger, but I think I will live with that given the improvement in quality.

Al

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, so I selected all the objects on that page and changed the export settings - looks much better now. If there was a global setting that would be great, otherwise I will probably set on images that were scaled down "significantly". Big images already look fine. Its the big images that were scaled to small images where the loss of resolution is most noticeable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 14, 2018 Aug 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Al,

I think, that we detected a bug in the Publish Online process.

Hope, that you still have your original document where you can see the issues.

I'd suggest you report the issues here in the category for ePub/HTML/Publish Online:

Adobe InDesign: Bugs: ePub/HTML/Publish Online (47 ideas) – Adobe InDesign Feedback

Don't be disturbed to see "ideas" listed there. In fact they are "bug reports".

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I will upload a shorter doc tonight as a bug report. It’s pretty easy to repeat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks all for your help. I found a similar bug report, so I up-voted that and added a comment: Images pixelated when published online, if the frame is scaled – Adobe InDesign Feedback

I provided a sample Indesign document that repeats the problem with the same image with frames of slightly different sizes. It appears the ratio of the frame size to the original image makes a significant difference to the pixelization that occurs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 15, 2018 Aug 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Voted.

Thank you for posting the link.

Best,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines