Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moving folder taskbar

Participant ,
Aug 14, 2018 Aug 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

High Sierra - latest version and LR7.4

When I move a folder from the HD to an external drive the moving folder taskbar appears and it says moving folder. After the task is completed and the folder is in the ED and can be accessed the taskbar and message does not disappear. I have left a folder with only one file it overnight and it is still there the next day.               

I'm pretty sure it used to disappear on its own after the move was complete. I know I can click on the x at the end of the bar and delete the file myself. It just seems odd. Is this the new norm with 7.4? Any suggestions?    

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a number of reasons why many people advise you to move folders via your operating system and then reconnect in Lightroom. Problems like this, and others, are avoided.

Or even better yet, develop a workflow that doesn't require photos to be moved at all, put the photos on the ED straight out of the camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's funny. When I took LR lessons several years ago they told us to always move folders using LR. I cull using Canon's DPP before downloading and then exporting to LR.    

I guess something must have changed with the recent updates. I'm going off topic but when I applied Auto Tone on the import page it didn't effect my Develop Default Settings. Ever since 7.3 or whatever version switched to presets to xmp's using Auto Tone at import sets all my Default settings to factory settings. Now after import I just select all the images in the library page and add Auto Tone there.

Back to the subject. I can use my OS to move files. Just seems unusual after so many years. I was wondering if there was a solution or if I was the only one with this issue.

Thanks       

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This specific issue that you report is one that I have not seen reported.

However other problems moving folders in Lightroom have been reported over the years, including recently. I would say that you are better off moving the photos/folders in your operating system and then reconnecting in Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As has been pointed out moving folder and images using LR can be problematic. This happens mostly when moving from one drive, internal or external, to another drive, internal or external. So it has been suggested to do the move with the File Manager program for the OS you are using then reconnect in LR.

It doesn't happen as often, or at all, when moving folders and images on the same drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found something. It only happens when moving to an external drive. I just moved a folder to a new location on the HD and the bar and original folder location with the? disappeared. I rarely do that so it surprised me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/digital+paradise  wrote

Found something. It only happens when moving to an external drive. I just moved a folder to a new location on the HD and the bar and original folder location with the? disappeared. I rarely do that so it surprised me. 

It can also happen when moving from one internal drive to another internal drive. Drive to Drive can cause problems. Moving folders and files, like from one parent folder to another parent folder or to the ROOT of the same drive, usually works fine.

Not many people have more than one internal drive with all the notebooks and All In One systems like the iMac out there. I have 4 physical hard drives in my desktop system. 3 spinning and one SSD.

I recently moved thousands of images from Dated folders to a top level folder for the year they were taken and placed all of those year folders in another folder called "Older Pictures By Years". I did it all inside LR but all the moves were on same physical drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 15, 2018 Aug 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines