• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom classic metadata seems not to embed in file?

New Here ,
Aug 14, 2018 Aug 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’ve saved some JPEGs to an external hard drive off my Mac and manually and automatically saved the XMP to the file as recommended.

When then I open the file or transfer it via wetransfer the edit metadata is missing. Would appreciate some help please.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saved? Do you mean Exported? Or something else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. You expose my lack of knowledge 🙂

Photos imported to LR on MacBook, folder is on EHD. Then edited In LR, metadata saved, I think, to EHD.

EHD is then connected to Mac, LR opened and edits present. Metadata saved (command S and the auto save option in Lightroom catalog activated).

When I then use Wetransfer I load the files on the EHD to WT, the XMP isn’t embedded. It isn’t obvious to me where it is saving though I suspect it’s in the catalog in LR rather than the EHD. Is there a way to change this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photos imported to LR on MacBook, folder is on EHD. Then edited In LR, metadata saved, I think, to EHD.

When you import the photos, are you using COPY or MOVE or ADD?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m not sure but copy i think?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So when you choose COPY, Lightroom makes a copy of your photo in some other folder (whatever folder is specified in the Import dialog box), and it only uses the copy, it doesn't know about and doesn't use your original on the EHD. So when you save metadata, it gets saved to the copy, not the original on the EHD. If you have photos on an EHD, better your should import using ADD, then your edits will be saved to the original on the EHD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks that’s v helpful. Let me review my process and check that. Much appreciated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’ve checked and it’s add not copy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines