• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can Lightroom synchronize the folder automatically without my having to do it manually for each jpeg edit?

New Here ,
Aug 14, 2018 Aug 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can Lightroom synchronize the folder automatically without my having to do it manually?

I generally open raw files in PS from LR to edit fine details. LR slows down my computer too much for detailed edits. After saving the PSD (which does auto sync to LR), I need multiple sizes of jpegs so I either do a Save As from PS or an Export from LR. Either way these do not show up in my LR catalog until I manually sync the folder (right clicking on the folder and clicking through the synchronize folder "wizard"). I'm looking to speed up my work flow by cutting out this last step. I've looked for an auto sync setting for the catalog but can't seem to find one.

I realize it might not be everyone's cup of tea to have jpeg copies in LR, but for my particular purposes it's the most efficient solution.

If this feature is available, please let me know where to find it. Else, just let me know that it's not available - no need to let me know why it should or should not exist.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 14, 2018 Aug 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the "Export Location' section for LR exports there is a checkbox option to "add to this catalog"

Check that and the exports will get added into your catalog in the exported folder location.

As for those from PS perhaps exporting those files to a watched folder in LR would work for you.(check the auto-import options in File menu).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 17, 2023 Jun 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, and I am completely flabbergasted how Adobe hasn't included auto sync folders buy now.

The dumb thing will sync your cloud changes but not your disk changes ... Go figure, these developers. Probably they have 0 photographers on team. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think there is a different reason: the way Lightroom is intended to be used. Being a non-destructive editor, Lightroom can export images in different sizes/quality/file formats at any time. That means there is no need to save these exported images in your catalog, because you can re-export the image if and when you need to. Export an image, use it for the intended reason and delete it after use. Export again when you need the same size/quality image again. Export with different settings if you need the same image but for a different purpose (like print instead of web).

Adobe added the option to add an exported image to the catalog because people were asking for it constantly, but it does make a lot more sense not to clutter your catalog with multiple copies of the same image and try to work with the app the way it was intended. If you need to drive a screw into a piece of wood, then you use a screwdriver. Don't use a hammer and then complain that the manufacturer apparently has no clue what screws are.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not talking about exported images but reflecting the structure of folders. If LR can see when a file is gone from a folder, why do I need to go through sync folder when I add a file/s directly to a folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The original (years old) message of this thread does talk about exporting images and then adding these to the catalog again. That is why I assumed you wanted the same thing. To answer your question: Because Lightroom is not a file browser, but a database application. It only sees files (and their folder structure) that are in the database (catalog). If you want to add new files to the catalog, then you'll have to import them. 'Synchronize folder' is just a shortcut to quickly import images that are in a folder that Lightroom already knows from other images (and remove images that are no longer in that folder). It is not intended as a way to make Lightroom a kind of file browser after all.

You can setup a 'watched folder' in Lightroom if you want it to automatically import images that are added to a particular folder. Maybe that will do what you want.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I apologize to post in an old thread – I was just looking for if there is some news about this. 

LC is not a continent – it is what Adobe leadership decides it will be. Nobody wants is as a general file browser – but simply give it an automatic option to keep the registered folders synced in case something is added directly. If it can do it upon a mouse click, it can also do it upon launch – probably a student would be capable of writing that code. Watched folder is, sadly, not nearly something that could serve as a workaround for this. 

LC has absolutely no reason to not feature something like this. If Bridge can feature image exporting and developing in ACR why can't LR include simple folder mirroring? Photoshop is also not an animation app, but features some basic animation capabilities etc …

Generally, Adobe appears pretty confused in their approach to photography editing. Tags between LC and Bridge are not synced and compatible (unless setting it up via a tedious manual process). Bridge does basically 90% of what LC does via ACR, but misses a few little things that make one needs to keep using LC (plugins such as Neg Lab pro) …  Then we have the PS opening oddness – and ACR as a filter for smart objects that however will not be opened like this when starting opening from ACR ...

I mean this stuff needs a capable project manager, cause now I need 3 apps for 2 or even 1 and a half could do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post a request in the Ideas forum. A tip: refrain from derogative remarks about incapable product managers. I think those kind of remarks won't help you to get your request considered...

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I wasn't mentioning anyone in the present, just I suspect it would require someone a bit more visionary and with really photographers experience. The evolution approach that is employed to these apps is slowly failing and making a mess. 

Have a great weekend!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines