Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Distorting vertical line gradients

New Here ,
Aug 15, 2018 Aug 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I'm having a little problem with something that I believe should be quite simple. I'm trying to create a deck chair's striped canvas, which tapers from the top to the bottom of the shape. I need the stripes inside of the shape to taper also, meaning that the width at the top of the stripe will be slightly wider than its width at the bottom.

I had been messing about with envelope distort but this is just affecting the shape and using it as a clipping mask to the unaffected striped gradient behind.

Hope I've made that understandable.

Please help!

Thanks,
WillScreen Shot 2018-08-15 at 15.53.58.pngScreen Shot 2018-08-15 at 15.53.53.pngScreen Shot 2018-08-15 at 15.53.43.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Aug 15, 2018 Aug 15, 2018

If those orange stripes are a pattern or gradient, its not going to work that way. You'll need to make the stripes out of actual shapes and group them.

Distort objects with the Free Transform tool

• Select one or more objects.

• Select the Free Transform tool .

• Start dragging a corner handle on the bounding box (not a side handle), and then do one of the following:

• Hold down Ctrl (Windows) or Command (Mac OS) until the selection is at the desired level of distortion.
    • Hold down Shift+Alt+Ctrl (Windows) or

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Object > Envelope Distort > Envelope Options:

Distort Pattern fills

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If those orange stripes are a pattern or gradient, its not going to work that way. You'll need to make the stripes out of actual shapes and group them.

Distort objects with the Free Transform tool

• Select one or more objects.

• Select the Free Transform tool .

• Start dragging a corner handle on the bounding box (not a side handle), and then do one of the following:

• Hold down Ctrl (Windows) or Command (Mac OS) until the selection is at the desired level of distortion.
    • Hold down Shift+Alt+Ctrl (Windows) or Shift+Option+Command (Mac OS) to distort in perspective.

Distorting in perspective
    Distorting in perspective

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant, thank you very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It may be brilliant, but not very flexible.

Did you try:

Object > Envelope Distort > Envelope Options:

Distort Pattern fills

?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines