• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't associate PSD files with Photoshop CC 2018

New Here ,
Mar 02, 2018 Mar 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have CC2018 and CC2017 installed on my iMac running High Sierra. If I double click a CR2 file, Adobe camera raw opens and then I go into 2018. If I double click a PSD file, it opens in CC2017. I've tried associating the PSD file with Get Info but, it keeps reverting back to 2017. I removed the app for 2017 and associations fell back to CS6 and I still can't change the association. There is nothing that I tried that is allowing me to associate the PSD file with CC2018.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Mar 02, 2018 Mar 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Somebody mentioned that removing CS6 in this thread fixed it and then they where able to install older versions again and the association stayed with CC2018

Can't Make Adobe Photoshop CC 2018 Default Application in macOS Sierra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 10, 2018 Jul 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I was having exactly the same problem, I need both Photoshop CS6 and CC installed (I'm a freelance software trainer), as some of my clients don't have a Creative Cloud subscription. All was fine until the other day when my Mac running Sierra (10.12.6) suddenly decided to open CS6 whenever I double-clicked a psd, .tif, .jpg etc. file in the finder, or used InDesign's Edit Original command (from a right-click shortcut on a selected image). Very frustrating as it had been fine. I tried the usual, Finder 'Get Info' window > Open With… > Change All method - to no avail, it just kept reverting back to CS6. So I checked out some of these forums about installing and uninstalling.

I decided to unistall CC, and reinstall. That didin't help. So I unistalled CS6, leaving only my newly installed CC2018.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

NB  If you need Photoshop CS6 Don't uninstall CS6 unless you have an installer for it as you can no longer install CS6 using the Adobe Creative Cloud App, as you can only go as far back as CC 2014 (I still have my original CS6 DVD I got before I moved to a CC subscription, so luckily I was able to reinstall CS6)

____________________________________________________________________________________________

After unistalling CS6, I checked that the file association was back to CC. Then reinstalled CS6 from my DVD, but using my CC subscription credentials, rather than the serial number (as I was too lazy to key in my long serial number!). That has seemed to cure the problem.

HOWEVER - When I went to my LaunchPad (which I use all the time) to Launch CC2018, the CC icon had been replaced by the CS6 icon. Grrrrr... So to get around that, I uninstalled CS6 again, (the CC2018 icon reappeared in my LaunchPad) then reinstalled CS6 inside a folder in my Applications Folder called Photoshop CS6 Folder, so the installed Folder is down one level inside it. That kept Photoshop CC2018 as the icon in Launchpad. (I may not have needed to re-install it, I may have got away with just moving it inside another folder inside my Applications folder)

So to summarise...

Uninstall CC,

Uninstall CS6,

re-install CC,

In your Applications folder, create a folder called "Photoshop CS6 Folder" or similar,

Re-install  CS6 from your CS6 installer DVD

Make sure that when you re-install select the /Applications/"Photoshop CS6 Folder" you've just created, rather than using the default /Applications folder, if - like me - you want to see the CC icon in your Launchpad, not the CS6 one.

I hope by sharing my experiences, I can help you and others out with this very annoying issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2018 Aug 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found a terminal hack that seems to work. Open terminal and run the following command:

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -u /Applications/Adobe\ Photoshop\ CS6/Adobe\ Photoshop\ CS6.app

killall Finder

This will unregister Photoshop CS6 as application that can open files completely so it won't show up on the open with menu any longer. I am not sure how long this will hold though (an update to e.g. CS6 might retrigger it to be added again).

Note to re-register CS6 again, use:

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister /Applications/Adobe\ Photoshop\ CS6/Adobe\ Photoshop\ CS6.app

killall Finder

(i.e. same command without the -u)

Note: this worked on my 10.11.6 El Capitan machine. Interestingly, my High Sierra laptop didn't seem to have the issue; there I could use the normal "change all" approach!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2018 Aug 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK, solution doesn't (even) survive a reboot. So I hacked a bit more and edited the Info.plist file that is in the application and completely removed the line where it says psd is one of the supported files. This does seem to work!

# Edit Info.plist, remove the first line that reads <string>psd</string> (probably line 16)

sudo vi /Applications/Adobe\ Photoshop\ CS6/Adobe\ Photoshop\ CS6.app/Contents/Info.plist

# Update the open with database (remove CS6, re-add CS6), then restart Finder

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Supp ort/lsregister -u /Applications/Adobe\ Photoshop\ CS6/Adobe\ Photoshop\ CS6.app

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Supp ort/lsregister /Applications/Adobe\ Photoshop\ CS6/Adobe\ Photoshop\ CS6.app

killall Finder

Note: you'll need to edit the file as root (hence the sudo command).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines