• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mac won't open change psd association to CC2018

Explorer ,
Jan 12, 2018 Jan 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have PS CC 2018 as well as PS CS6 on my Mac.  My Mac still wants to use CS6 to open psd files.  I can change the association to open with CC 2018 for individual psd files, but when I tell Mac to "Change all," it changes the association back to CS6.  I can't find any help on Apple forums.  Anyone have any suggestions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you opening the files from Bridge?

What is the setting for Bridge Preferences > File Type Associations > Photoshop Document...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No.  Things work fine from Bridge.  The problem arises from within the Mac operating system.

In Mac, you select a file in Finder, and then use "Show info" to see what program is set to open it.  By default, any change you make will apply only to that specific file.  There is an option to "Change all" that will then change the default program for all files with that extension.  When I do this with .psd files, I can change to program that opens the selected psd file to CC 2018, but when I add "change all," it reverts back to PS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can temporarily uninstall CS6 and then Change All. When you reinstall CS6, hopefully it won't take back the associations.

This is a reported bug with CC 2018. You can only assign PSD files to CC 2018 individually, but Change All is broken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling PSC6 once before, and re-installing was a nightmare.  But I'll give this a try if nothing else works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No fix yet. Not sure if Adobe has even acknowledged this issue. There are only two workarounds right now that I know of.

1. Assign Photoshop CC 2018 the default app position on a file-by-file basis (don't use Change All)
  2. Uninstall any prior versions of Photoshop

Any reason you need to hang on to CS6?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, CC is obviously subscription, while CS6 is bought and paid for.  Right now, I get my CC subscription at a highly discounted rate through my university.  But I'll be retiring soon, and so I'm reluctant to get rid of CS6.

for now, I've spent the morning changing the default app on a file by file basis.  Is the problem I'm reporting a known issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

keb56  wrote

Well, CC is obviously subscription, while CS6 is bought and paid for.  Right now, I get my CC subscription at a highly discounted rate through my university.  But I'll be retiring soon, and so I'm reluctant to get rid of CS6.

for now, I've spent the morning changing the default app on a file by file basis.  Is the problem I'm reporting a known issue?

It will be a bit annoying, but do it on a file by file basis. A fix should be out soon.

And it is a bug in Ps, so nothing you do to MacOS will fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanx!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!,

The change all should works like this tutorial 2 Ways to Change the Default Application to Open Files With in Mac OS X

Maybe... you have a duplicate app Remove Duplicates from the “Open With” Right-Click Menu in Mac OS X

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2018 Aug 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found a terminal hack that seems to work. Open terminal and run the following command:

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -u /Applications/Adobe\ Photoshop\ CS6/Adobe\ Photoshop\ CS6.app

killall Finder

This will unregister Photoshop CS6 as application that can open files completely so it won't show up on the open with menu any longer. I am not sure how long this will hold though (an update to e.g. CS6 might retrigger it to be added again).

Note to re-register CS6 again, use:

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister /Applications/Adobe\ Photoshop\ CS6/Adobe\ Photoshop\ CS6.app

killall Finder

(i.e. same command without the -u)

Note: this worked on my 10.11.6 El Capitan machine. Interestingly, my High Sierra laptop didn't seem to have the issue; there I could use the normal "change all" approach!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2018 Aug 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK, solution doesn't (even) survive a reboot. So I hacked a bit more and edited the Info.plist file that is in the application and completely removed the line where it says psd is one of the supported files. This does seem to work!

# Edit Info.plist, remove the first line that reads <string>psd</string> (probably line 16)

sudo vi /Applications/Adobe\ Photoshop\ CS6/Adobe\ Photoshop\ CS6.app/Contents/Info.plist

# Update the open with database (remove CS6, re-add CS6), then restart Finder

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Supp ort/lsregister -u /Applications/Adobe\ Photoshop\ CS6/Adobe\ Photoshop\ CS6.app

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Supp ort/lsregister /Applications/Adobe\ Photoshop\ CS6/Adobe\ Photoshop\ CS6.app

killall Finder

Note: you'll need to edit the file as root (hence the sudo command).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines