Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Set aspect ratio - LR sets it's own

Participant ,
Aug 16, 2018 Aug 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I need the aspect ratio of some images to be 98:55. Yes, exactly that. But when I enter those numbers, LR automatically switches to 16:9 - somewhat similar, but not the same. How can I set an exact ratio and keep it?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 16, 2018 Aug 16, 2018

You can't. LR will always Default to a known, used every day, ratio when it is so close to that ratio.

You'll need to use Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't. LR will always Default to a known, used every day, ratio when it is so close to that ratio.

You'll need to use Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bummer. I hate that, when software tries to outsmart me. Offers a user setting then overwrites it.

Thanks for your reply!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need the aspect ratio of some images to be 98:55. Yes, exactly that. But when I enter those numbers, LR automatically switches to 16:9 - somewhat similar, but not the same. How can I set an exact ratio and keep it?

This is a long-standing bug with a one-line fix that Adobe has decided not to implement (after a flawed analysis by a senior Adobe engineer). See here: Lightroom: I can't add (certain) custom crop ratios | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Please add your constructive opinion to that bug report, and be sure to click Me Too in the upper-right corner. In the past year or so, Adobe has been making an effort to fix old bugs, so it's possible they may revisit this one.

Meanwhile, you can use the Any Crop plugin to set an exact aspect ratio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish I had known about this plugin years ago. It can do much more than just crop correctly.

Thank you for the hint!

I did add my 2ct to the report. Little hope that it will make any difference, constructive or not ... although, if you say Adobe is making an effort, that does give me a little hope. Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is probably close to the top of the list of poor design decisions Adobe has implemented in Lightroom and Adobe has steadfastly refused to fix.  johnellis​ has even wrote the code fix for them.  Hopefully the recent Adobe Lightroom team will fix this issue as they have been doing a pretty good job of fixing old issues lately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines