• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import freezing Premiere (with Double Click, Ctrl I, File>Import)

Explorer ,
Nov 30, 2017 Nov 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

So I've been down the road with this problem since Ver 2017. Now on 2018, same thing.

Windows 10, 64 bit.

64GB RAM

Nvidia Quadro K2200 Latest Drivers

Intel Xeon CPU ES-2630V3 @2.40GHZ

It's hit and miss sometimes when I try to import footage via double click in the bin, Control-I,   and File.Import. It will just freeze with any of these commands, before I can even select footage. Media Browser will work. What I do to remedy this is ctrl Alt Del, close Premiere (which takes a few tries). I then restart Premiere, disconnect two of the monitors, use the commands to import footage (It works all of a sudden), then I reconnect the monitors while Premiere is still open, and all of a sudden it works again with all 3 monitors.

I'm also unable to drag and drop footage from explorer into bins. Some with AE and PS.

Worked with Adobe a few times on this, clearing cache, trashing prefs, uninstalled Malewarebytes....I'm at a loss. It keeps coming back to haunt me. Not to mention Windows keeps installing stuff automatically.

Thanks,

Todd

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can totally second this weird behavior. Probably my biggest grievance of recent releases.

Instead of using drag & drop or the CTRL+I / context menu in the Project window, I now import my media via the Media Browser tab, located next to the Effects Panel (default in left bottom corner). That seems to give much less problems.

I have also learned that it helps if you hit save before importing anything.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not only safe to use the Media Browser for all import duties, but actually recommended in most cases.

If that's working, go with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 02, 2017 Dec 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand the media browsers function, but I'm all about shortcut keys. And this needs to be resolved. Obviously there's a glitch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 02, 2017 Dec 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 03, 2017 Dec 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel you man. Pp 2018 has a problem opening the explorer window sometimes in win10. Have the same problem here, on import, export, save as.. Etc. Anything that opens an explorer window. Still haven't figured it out or found a workaround. I have to kill PP and start again a few times until it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same problem. Not in every project, but in some projects with a lot of files. It is extremely aggravating to be editing with a client on my insanely spec'd workstation and look like an idiot because Premiere freezes for five minutes every time I try to import a file, no matter how small. 

I notice in the resource monitor that Premiere is reading what appears to be all files in the project from my external hard drive at the same time. It is configured as a RAID 0 and is reasonably fast, but not fast enough to perform as a functional NLE while simultaneously reading a hundred files from the hard drive. Is this behavior normal? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, the problem you are describing is actually a different bug.

Your issue is that Premiere is taking a long time to import footage.

THIS issue is that Premiere sometimes instantly hard freezes when a linked Explorer window is launched. The program NEVER recovers, and must be closed via task manager.

If it's any consolation, my editing rig is also insanely spec'd, (i7-6950x, Titan X) but suffers from bugs and slowness as well. It makes no difference when you're running buggy software.

Though I would strongly suggest that you should be using SSDs to store your files, NOT HDDs. We use RAID on a bunch of NVME SSDs, and rarely have issues with long file import times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2018 Jan 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just gonna second this. Happens to me all the time. The only fix I've found is renaming the folder of my last import to something else so that Premiere doesn't look for that folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2018 May 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing here. Also at least since version 2017. Randomly freezes as soon as an explorer window is loaded.

Has there been any word on this from adobe somewhere?

Has anyone discovered a fix?

Unbelievable that they are just keep selling us broken software.

Kevin-Monahanalisterblack franciscrossman kulpreet singh reply to this! You are selling us broken software!

This has been mentioned in several threads over the last year!

We are paying for software labelled "pro" that crashes on the most basic operation and doesn't enable us to do our jobs!

Do your jobs and fix this issue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also at least since version 2017. Randomly freezes as soon as an explorer window is loaded.

I have seen the same for some time now and yesterday Premiere Pro freezed when i tried to import footage using Ctrl+I. I see the same thing in After Effects and Media Encoder, randomly freezing on import and export. In After Effects this happens very often. It can be reproduced on different machines/hardware and even on clean installs of Win 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stop using CTRL I to import footage. Just drag it from an explorer window into a bin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I do to avoid crashing.

However, it still can (and does) happen easily, for example if you accidently double click inside a bin,

if you try to replace footage(right click-> replace..)

or if you try to change the output path in the export dialog (which doesn't default to your project path but the last path you set it to, so you have to change it every time you switch projects).

In every other instance where premiere tries to open en explorer window it can happen, too.

It's just not acceptable. There is no excuse for this to happen and for this severe bug to not be resolved.

Averdahl​ strangely I only have had this happen in Premiere, not in Media Encoder or After Effects.

In Premiere it does happen almost reliably though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

, It´s better if Adobe fix this long standing issue instead of having to use workarounds on such basic things as import and export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I completely agree.

But Adobe is slow to recognize problems, and even slower to fix them. We've got to figure out the best way to get our work done, today.

For 300 more issues with Premiere, (and more workarounds) check out my spreadsheet: Taran's feature requests and bug reports for Premiere and After Effects - Google Sheets

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 16, 2018 Aug 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Out of curiosity, is everyone here using a 4k display? I have never seen this issue until I started using a 4k display, and now about half the time I hit CTRL-I in AE, the program freezes. I'm thinking it's something to do with the Windows dialog box not playing nicely with AE's request for a scaled window, but who knows?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 16, 2018 Aug 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I am using a 4K display at 150% UI scaling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2018 Sep 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never use the double click method to import, and the absolute worst part about this issue, which I think should be easily resolved is double clicking by mistake because the pointer misses the clip. Why can the double click import method not be disabled?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 06, 2018 Oct 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for posting this issue - I didn't know why import was opening itself and instantly freezing the program, and now I do - I must be clicking too fast in the bin and it counts as a double-click. Hopefully this knowledge will help me crash less often, and hopefully this will be fixed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2018 Oct 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what happens to me when i import (Ctrl+I) a white import screen that never resolves. I have to Ctrl+ALT+DEL to close Premiere and restart. This has been happening for over a year intermittently. Sometimes it works fine, sometimes it seems to do this for days. Its the perfect problem because you end up forgetting you are having it, thinking it went away, just long enough for you to loose 5-10 minutes of work when it pops back up again. premiere white import freezeup.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 11, 2018 Oct 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It looks like a system block.

Because you do not try the following:

Start the program as an administrator, right-click on the executable or shortcut, and choose "Run as administrator" to see if the problem persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines