• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Frequent "Changes cannot be saved" error message, followed by crashing

Explorer ,
Aug 10, 2018 Aug 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there - This error has begun appearing on a near-daily basis when I try to save files, since about February. The error message says "Changes cannot be saved as InDesign can no longer access the <file name and location> file. Place the file in the original location and try again." InDesign then crashes immediately after. Sometimes I also get Error code 2 after the first message ("Could not complete your request because of a database error"). Neither seems to follow any particular actions or commands (aside from trying to save the file).

Working on Mac OS X.

Any suggestions?

Screen Shot 2018-03-06 at 9.57.48 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-03-07 at 2.32.48 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Aug 15, 2018 Aug 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you working on files that are stored on your computers hard drive? or are you working on files opened across a network (e.g. stored on a Server)?

Have you maybe renamed the file on the system while it was open in InDesign?

Are you able to run a system check and see if the file contains appropriate file permissions that allow editing/saving? or ensure the correct permissions are set?

See also: File permission troubles on High Sierra - Apple Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 15, 2018 Aug 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Cari - Thanks for your help. I'm working on my laptop's hard drive. I haven't renamed any of the files while they were open in InDesign (this has happened with about 40 files at this point). And I'll run a system check to make sure the file permissions all allow editing, but given that it's so many files and there's no reason why I would have changed the permissions on any of them, I doubt that's the problem (also, would that cause InDesign to freeze and crash every time?). How would I go about running that system check?

Thanks again,

Elena

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 16, 2018 Aug 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should definitely check the integrity of your hard drive. It sounds like you may be near drive failure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Crap, that sounds serious. How would I check that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What Mac operating system are you running? Disk Utility in the Utilities folder offers a free First Aid utility.

Disk Warrior from Alsoft is the best but it costs some money. Could be a lifesaver, however:

https://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/index.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running OS X. I'll run the First Aid utility first and see what that turns up. Thank you so much for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disk Utility didn't report anything. Does that mean I'm probably in the clear or should I buy Disk Warrior?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd recommend Disk Warrior even though I'm not sure it's a hard drive problem. But exactly was MacOS X version are you running? You can tell if you choose  About the Macintosh from the Apple menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's version 10.11.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because of changes with drive formats, Disk Warrior is not as useful yet for macOS 10.13.x (the latest version). It should totally be able to diagnose hard drive problems with your operating system. And even if no problems are found, you're at least eliminating that as a possible problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I'll do that. Thanks again for all of your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 28, 2018 Aug 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Elena,

I would like to know if the steps suggested above worked for you, or the issue still persists.

Kindly update the discussion if you need further assistance with it.

Thanks,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 28, 2018 Aug 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, Srishti - Unfortunately no, none of the solutions recommended above worked for me. I've also updated my OS since then, which doesn't seem to have made a difference either.

The problems seems to be happening less frequently, but I can't tell if that's a coincidence or not.

Do you have any other recommendations?

Thanks,

Elena

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 29, 2018 Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Elena,

I'm not sure at all, but did you place an inDesign page in an InDesign document?

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, Laubender - No, that's not the problem either. Thanks for the suggestion though

e

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Elena,

Sorry to hear about that. As per your query, while working on InDesign you often get this error "Changes cannot be saved as InDesign can no longer access the <file name and location> file". This indeed is a permission error but occurs generally on server environments but as you have already mentioned that you are working from your Desktop only, I would suggest you to check how InDesign works in the Root account: How to enable the root user on your Mac or change your root password - Apple Support

If it works fine in Root Account

• Go to Location ~/Library/Preferences

• Right-click preferences folder and click get info

• Click the lock icon to unlock it

• Click plus symbol

• Change permissions to read and write.

• Click the Action pop-up menu, then choose “Apply to enclosed items.”

• If you do not see your account there click on plus symbol on the bottom left corner and add account and follow same steps

Follow same steps for

~/Library/Caches

~/Library/Application support

/Library/Preferences

/Library/Caches

/Library/Application support

Note: If you are on office system, these (/Library/Application Support and/Library/Preferences) folders may or may not allow you to add the user, that is completely fine.

Restart the system into your account and check how it works.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Srishti - Okay, I'll give this a try. So it sounds like in order to try out the root account, I have to stay logged in until I can confirm whether or not InDesign functions like it should in that account. Since it only seems to be crashing every couple of days now, does that mean I should stay logged in for a long period of time, like several days, to make sure I've given it enough time to test?

Elena

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 30, 2018 Aug 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Elena,

Just stay there for some time, if you find that everything is perfect to simply follow the steps and then monitor it in your own account.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 31, 2018 Aug 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I'll give it a try and report back. Thank you so much!

e

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 03, 2018 Sep 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Elena.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines