• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rotating image InDesign

Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2018 Aug 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I rotate an image in InDesign 90 degrees most of the image disappears with just a small portion still visible.  What am I doing wrong?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 16, 2018 Aug 16, 2018

Hi Barb

I have discovered by trial and error that the issue is only with .eps files. If I convert the images to jpg all good. Thanks for your assistance.

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign version? Operating system? Please use the "Insert Image" button in the forum editor to attach a screen capture.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe InDesign CC 2018 - WIndows 10 90 degree image.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The image rotated so it is not completedly contained within your graphic frame so you're seeing that it's "cropped" out.

You can use the 2nd tool from the top (Direct Selection or "white arrow" tool) to click on the image and drag it within the frame so you can see it again (see illustrations below):

InDesign CC058.png

InDesign CC059.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply but this is not working for me.  Any other suggestions? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rotate the frame with its content (image).

You can use content grabber, or double click inside the frame, or use the white arrow to select the image inside the frame, and move it.

also you can use fitting, Object> Fitting> Center Content

Screen Shot 2018-08-13 at 9.20.50 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 13, 2018 Aug 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pamelag48686731  wrote

When I rotate an image in InDesign 90 degrees most of the image disappears with just a small portion still visible.  What am I doing wrong?

The frame and the image are two separate things. When you have the frame selected your Selection tool cursor is a black arrow. When you have the image selected, the Selection tool cursor is a hand.

Your image is only partly visible within your frame. This typically happens when you rotate just the image and not the frame.

You now have two choices:

• Fix this by moving the image into the frame or by resizing the frame.
  • Start again and rotate the frame, not the image.

Use your Selection tool and watch that the cursor is a black arrow. Double-clicking the image switches modes for the Selection tool. Clicking the "doughnut" or center also selects the image, not the frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Despite following instructions regarding selection etc no luck.  Steps

Create image by using Place and selecting image.  Using top tool select outer, red frame and flip 90 degrees.  Image partially disappears.  It seems as if the image itself flips but its original template does not.  No matter what selection tool I choose I cannot get image to reappear whole in the blue frame.  Fitting content commands also do not change the image visibility.  So both the outer frame and the inner blue frame move to 90 degrees but the image holder within the blue frame does not.  Any suggestions welcome.Upright.JPG90 degree rotate outer frame with top arrow select.JPGPartial rotation.JPG180 degree rotate.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pamelag48686731  wrote

Despite following instructions regarding selection etc no luck.  Steps

Create image by using Place and selecting image.  Using top tool select outer, red frame and flip 90 degrees.  Image partially disappears.  It seems as if the image itself flips but its original template does not.  No matter what selection tool I choose I cannot get image to reappear whole in the blue frame.  Fitting content commands also do not change the image visibility.  So both the outer frame and the inner blue frame move to 90 degrees but the image holder within the blue frame does not.  Any suggestions welcome.

First: try it in a new document for testing purposes. The Layer will be Layer 1 and the color of the frame will be blue, not red.

Some of what you write can be interpreted more than one way, so please help to clarify the terms you are using.

1. File > Place to put image in document.
  2. Select the frame (not the image) with the Selection tool (black arrow). The color will match the color of the layer, which is blue in a new document. The cursor will be a black arrow.
  3. Do not flip the image. Rotate it. You can do this in the Control panel or with the Rotate tool or with the Selection tool just outside the corner anchor points. Flip and Rotate are not the same.
  4. What do you mean by the term "original template"?
  5. The Selection tool (black arrow) is the only one you will use. Double-clicking the image changes its focus from the frame to the image and back.
  6. By "outer frame", do you mean the frame?
  7. By "inner frame", do you mean the image?
    The image is inside of the frame. You are looking at two things: the image and the frame.
  8. What do you mean by "image holder"? Do you mean the frame?
  9. What do you mean by "blue frame"? Do you mean the image?

Show an image of your control panel with the frame selected. That may help us!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2018 Aug 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New document. File/place – using corner tool on frame, rotate. Image is visible in small portion. No matter what I do from here I cannot seem to get the 90 degree rotated image to appear. If I rotate 180 degrees image is visible. See screen shots of settings and use of black arrow as tool from top of tool bar on left.

Image inserted into new document using File/place

Image rotated 90 degrees using corner rotate tool on frame.

See answers to your questions below.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 15, 2018 Aug 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pamela,

how do you view the image on the page?
My guess is that you see a screen redraw problem.

Can you provide the graphic you are working with?
Just make it available on Dropbox or a similar service and post the download link.

Thanks,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pamela

It sounds like you are following the correct steps:

1. Select the frame with the Selection tool
  2. I'll add: select the center reference point in the proxy at the left of the Control panel
  3. Click the rotate buttons (just one of many ways to rotate)

Screenshot 2018-08-15 13.43.08.pngScreenshot 2018-08-15 13.43.18.png

If it's a refresh issue, zoom in, out or change pages and then return to this page to force InDesign to update the screen.

Sharing the image with us via Dropbox may help, but even better, share the InDesign page along with the linked image. This should be an easy fix.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2018 Aug 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb

I have discovered by trial and error that the issue is only with .eps files. If I convert the images to jpg all good. Thanks for your assistance.

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 16, 2018 Aug 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the image is a vector file, convert to .ai (and use this format rather than .eps moving forward). That way you will retain vector properties.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 17, 2018 Aug 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

pamelag48686731  wrote

… I have discovered by trial and error that the issue is only with .eps files.

Then I suppose a screen redraw error only.

I guess the preview stems from the eps, it is saved with the eps, and InDesign did not render the preview when placing the graphic.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pamelag48686731  wrote

Hm. Another thought.

Check the Links Panel if the image is properly linked.

Means: Not a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark ( file not updated ) or a red circle with a question mark ( file missing ).

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines