• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe CS5 Optimal Disk Configuration (HDD vs. SSD)?

Explorer ,
Aug 17, 2018 Aug 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Forum,

I built an editing computer about 6 years ago (using extensively this forum, and especially Harm's advice): ASUS P6X68D, i7 930, 24 GB (DDR3), GTX 970.

I use it to edit family videos (not too often) with the Adobe CS5 suite. At this point, I do not want to build a new PC but I would like to speed up a bit the present one. I have two questions:

1. Should I replace (some or all) the HDDs (and RAIDs) with SSDs, and should I use SATA SSD, or PCIe SSD?
  2. Should I change the disk configuration? (Which is probably far from optimal .)

1. HDD vs. SATA SSD vs. PCIe SSD

I have two SATA III gates, and one PCIe 2.0 x16 and one PCIe 2.0 x16 (max. x8 link) slots unused. (Some of the presently used six SATA II gates would be available if/when I replace some of the HDD’s with SSDs.)

My understanding is that

The data transfer speed of PCIe SSD and SATA SSD in practice are not very different. (PCIe 3.0 and SATA III: 8 GB/s vs. 6 GB/s), PCIe 3.0 SSD is compatible with PCIe 2.0 slots. So, If I buy SATA III or PCIe 3.0  SSDs, I can use them now, or in an upgraded MB.

Present Disk Configuration (Probably very bad L)

Of the six SATA II ports, one is used for a 1 TB disk (Port 0, with two partitions: 1. Operating System and Programs (C), 2. Static Data Storage (D), one (Port 5 optical drive), the other four ports are used in two RAID 0 arrays, one of which (E, Array 0000) is used for running the Adobe CS5 components and store all data except for the Media Cache, Media Cache Files, and Capture and Preview files that are stored on Array 0001 (F).

The space used on the 5 disks is equal or less than

Port 0 (non-RAID, 1 TB), Partitions

C: 150 GB, (Op. Sys., Programs)

D: 200 GB  (Static Data)

Array 0000 (RAID 0 2x 1 TB), Partition

E: 250 GB (largest single project)

Used to run the editing programs: PrPro, Ae, En, Ps, etc. Also have there the Source Video Files, Exported Video Files, assets and audio files.

Array 0001 (RAID 0 2x 1 TB) Partition

F: 50 GB (Largest single project)

Used to store the PrPro Preview Files, Media Cache and Media Cache Files.

I would greatly appreciate any advice/comment.

Thanks,

- Laszlo Gutai.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
no replies

Have something to add?