• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

TOC: multiple character styles in heading

Explorer ,
Aug 11, 2018 Aug 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a book created in InDesign 13.1 x64 (on Windows 7).

Some headings have different character styles, like this:

Sample Heading

In TOC, I'd like to have all heading in regular font style, but the Italic style should be 'copied' there too, where it was set in the heading. The heading above should look like this:

Sample Heading

I have created a TOC style that have the heading character style set to [None] and applied the TOC heading paragraph style, which is formatted as heading should look like in the TOC by default (regular style, font size, etc).

To the heading itself (the text, not in the TOC) is applied a different paragraph style (Heading 1), and the Italics is applied manually (overriding the Heading 1 settings); note that I also tried to apply a character style with only the Italic as its setting (everything else was set to be inherited from the paragraph style).

TOC has 'copied' the Italic style, but also the Bold style, which is undesirable. It look like this:

Sample Heading

How could I accomplish this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Aug 11, 2018 Aug 11, 2018

you can do the following:

1. Clear overrides from Headings in the text

2. Create the Character style which will have only Italic Font style, without any other new settings.

3. Set Bold font style as a main option for your Headings (in the text) Paragraph style and add the Italic Character Style as a nested style.

You will have this look: Sample Heading

4. Create the TOC style with Regular font style as a main option and Italic Character style as a nested style with the same rule.

Here you will have t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can do the following:

1. Clear overrides from Headings in the text

2. Create the Character style which will have only Italic Font style, without any other new settings.

3. Set Bold font style as a main option for your Headings (in the text) Paragraph style and add the Italic Character Style as a nested style.

You will have this look: Sample Heading

4. Create the TOC style with Regular font style as a main option and Italic Character style as a nested style with the same rule.

Here you will have this look: Sample Heading.

The overrides are very hardy, they can survive any paragraph style changing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have some troubles with nested styles; I've never used them yet.

In 3rd point: what should I do exactly? Here's a screenshot of what I have in the Drop Caps and Nested Styles of the particular Heading 2 paragraph style settings. Should I create a New Nested Style?

When I click on the New Nested Style button, the following is what comes out. As I understand, I should select the Italic character style I created before, instead of [None] in the first column, but them what?

The second and last columns have following options:

Thank you for helping me out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Aug 13, 2018 Aug 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, you have to click "New Nested Style" button.

Actually, for your example you need (1) character style and (2) paragraph formatting set

1. Straight bold character style for the first part of the sentence (paragraph). ::: Sample

2. Italic bold style as a Basic Character Settings in the Paragraph style for the other part. :::: Heading

So you add the first style (click New Nested Style button and choose the style name in the drop-down menu) and set the rule:

- Through or Up to — defines if the style should include the selected item or not. Use Through as an original and change if needed.

- Number (1, 2 etc.) — defines how many selected items should be formatted by the selected style

- Items list. For example, if you set "Through 1 word", the style will format only the first word in the sentence.

If the paragraph structure is the same for all the titles, you can use this construction: Through (1, 2, ...) Words. The last part of the Paragraph will keep the basic character formatting.

If you have different numbers of the words in the straight part of the titles, you can previously add the End Nested Style Character in every title between the straight and italic parts. And use another construction: Through 1 End Nested Style Character.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 15, 2018 Aug 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, now I got it.

But then there is another issue: this makes all Heading 2 titles formatted the same way, however only some should be. Is there any solution for that? I mean: can I just select which titles would use the nested styles. I could just create another paragraph style for those, but I don't know then, how would I create a TOC with Heading 2 and Heading 2 Nested Styles in the same level.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Aug 15, 2018 Aug 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, you can create 2 styles, and when you wil create TOC, just set them the same level (use More Options button to see the levels drop-down)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2018 Aug 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've finally got the time to solve this issue in my document (not just testing it out). I have a problem.

The nested styles (None/Italic) are fully working as expected, but the Bold style from paragraph style itself is removed. Just look at the settings in the images. There is actual title used (at the bottom of the images).

Thank you for your patient help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

show please the Character Style window

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here you go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes. You've chosen Italic, but for your purpose you need Bold Italic here.

And in TOC you will need Italic to give the text "regular" weight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Argh, okay then. I misunderstood you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines