• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Edit in Photoshop" opens CR2 file instead of PSD

Explorer ,
Aug 17, 2018 Aug 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently upgraded to CC and cannot quite get things to work the way I want. In LR I set up the external editing to only use the numbers from the original filename and open as a PSD. It doesn't do any of that, and just opens with the original filename as a CR2.  The way it used to work was instead of opening ZU4A9019.CRs it would change to 9019.psd. 

Here are the settings I'm looking at and to me it looks like it should be creating PSD files. What am I doing wrong?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 18, 2018 Aug 18, 2018

YOU are not using Camera Raw. However, Photoshop is using it. It's the only way that CR2 can transfer from Lightroom to Photoshop. Camera Raw is used to convert the image from raw to an RGB image that Photoshop can use. If you get rid of the camera raw plug-in then I suppose you would be given the choice of creating the PSD file first. But Camera Raw is the bridge that enables you to move the image between Lightroom and Photoshop. And, as I explained in in my previous message, when it is in sync

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without seeing exactly the steps you are taking, this looks correct from a generic perspective.

The PSD file will not be create until you do the "/file/save" at the end of your editing.

Since PS knows how to communicate with LR to get your edits, the CR2 file is opened initially with your edits from LR applied.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to explain for the OP, there are two different workflows for LR sending an image into PS.

LR "prefers" one workflow: whenever the compatibility of ACR version / LR version permits it.

That involves PS opening an as yet unsaved image (the document title of which, has no choice but to show the source filename e.g. that of a Raw file) to which LR adjustments are already loaded via ACR. Because compatible, these adjustments have produced the same outcome via ACR as they showed in LR.

The other workflow happens automatically whenever ACR / PS versions are not compatible enough for the above method to be reliable - or, when something other than Photoshop is being used as the partnering software. In this case, a file has already been saved to disk by LR and that is what then opens up in the image editor - so PS reflect this filename (not that of the Raw) right from the start. A further Save merely updates the content of this file to reflect work done.

Even when ACR and LR are fully compatible, you can still evoke the other workflow by making a named external editing preset. Presets also allow you to maintain a number of different editing options: 8 or 16-bit, different working colourspaces, TIFF/PSD. These presets appear under "Edit In.." when you right-click on an image. And these presets may refer to any program that is capable of opening and working with that TIFF (or PSD); not just, to Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2018 Aug 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you might be close! Where do I create that preset? I don't have any presets available when I choose Edit In. Screen shot is above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It will show you the CR2 file name until you SAVE (Not Save As) the file. Once the image file opens in PS press Ctrl + s to save the file and it will change to whatever file format extention you have selected in the external editor tab in LR. In your case a PSD file extension.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you upload a screen shot of an image that you have selected in Lr and have selected Edit in Photoshop showing what you are seeing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish I could get it to work like I always have. I know I didn't used to have to "save" or "save as" to get the PSD file. This screen shot is from a session that was done prior to the upgrade. You can see at the bottom how some have 2 files and some have 1. The ones with 2 had been pulled into Photoshop as PSD files where I finished my editing. If I do NOTHING to those files, they are still PSDs in LR, renamed the way I want them. But it isn't working like that anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works that way on my system. Can you go back into your preferences > external editing tab  and check Stack with Original? Try CMD E > Ps again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was hoping it was that simple because I knew it wasn't checked. I normally don't stack them since I like to see both initially.  But I tried it. No luck. 

+

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When Lightroom and Photoshop are synchronized and up-to-date, Lightroom does not create the PSD before sending the image to Photoshop. Lightroom sends the raw image data, Photoshop uses Camera Raw to convert the image to a RGB file and you finish your work using Photoshop. Then when you save the image using Photoshop it is saved as a PSD or TIF, depending on the options you have chosen in Lightroom. When Photoshop is using an older version of Camera Raw, that is when Lightroom gives you the option of creating the PSD or TIF file first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use Camera Raw at all. So how do I make this work without having to physically save and rename every image again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What file types are you editing in Lightroom?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CR2, so I'm guessing this has something to do with Camera Raw. Would make sense if that weren't updated because I never used it, and now with the new computer everything is updated again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YOU are not using Camera Raw. However, Photoshop is using it. It's the only way that CR2 can transfer from Lightroom to Photoshop. Camera Raw is used to convert the image from raw to an RGB image that Photoshop can use. If you get rid of the camera raw plug-in then I suppose you would be given the choice of creating the PSD file first. But Camera Raw is the bridge that enables you to move the image between Lightroom and Photoshop. And, as I explained in in my previous message, when it is in sync with Lightroom the PSD or TIF file (depending on your Lightroom preferences) doesn't need to be created before the image goes to Photoshop. The raw data is converted using Camera Raw when it is sent to Photoshop, you perform your work, and then the image is saved at the end of the Photoshop session. Now, if you decide to send THAT image back to Photoshop, you will be given the choice of sending the original or a copy that includes Lightroom adjustments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, so it only worked before because it wasn't updated. So no easy way around this then?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's to work around? It's working the way it is supposed to work. The only difference is WHEN the PSD file is created. The way you are accustomed to, the file was created first so there was one iteration of the file then and another when you are finished editing. The way you are doing it now there is only one save. What are you concerned about?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It isn't renaming upon creation. What are the settings for if they aren't being used? That's where I'm confused. I have it set to go from ZUA8917.CR2 to 8917.psd. But even when I save or save as it doesn't automatically do that. What am I missing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All I can tell you is how it works for me. All of the adjustments that I make using Lightroom are included in what is transferred to Photoshop. That image that displays in Photoshop still indicates that it is the raw file. However, it isn't the raw image data. Photoshop cannot edit raw image data. That's why there has to be the Camera Raw plug-in; it is a raw converter. It converts the raw image data to RGB data that Photoshop understands. Photoshop indicates that that is where the data came from. That data hasn't been saved, it's a new image. Now you can go ahead and do what ever needs to be done using all the Photoshop tools. When you have finished using Photoshop, that image now has to be saved. It can be saved in any format that Photoshop is capable of saving. As I understand it, you have chosen (in Lightroom) to have the image saved as a PSD. By default, that image should be saved with the same filename but with the PSD extension. That PSD file should include all of the adjustments that you made using Lightroom as well as all changes that were made using Photoshop. And if everything works as designed, that PSD file should be returned to Lightroom. You can make additional adjustments using Lightroom. Then, if you choose to return to Photoshop, you will be given the option to edit the original or edit a copy of that PSD that includes the adjustments that were made to the PSD file. That will necessitate Lightroom creating yet another copy to send to Photoshop, and it will be returned with a -2 appended to its name. Hope I'm not confusing you.

Incidentally, you don't want to use the Save As command or it won't return that image to Lightroom. You only want to use the Save command.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, that is very helpful. I redid my Photoshop action that needed to be reworked anyway, and just used Save as the last command. And it did, in fact, update the file to 8917.psd!

I wasn't trying to be difficult, I understood what was happening but didn't quite get what had changed or updated. I get it now, so that you for being patient with me! I finally gave in and switched to CC. LR6 never worked on my old system so I was coming from LR5 and CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is how it works.

When both LR and PS are using the same version of ACR, in this case Adobe Camera RAW 10.4,  when you send a file to PS from LR PS uses ACR, behind the scenes, to open the RAW file in the PS window. This is the NORMAL way they work when both are using the same version of ACR.

When PS is using an Older, or for whatever reason a Newer, version of ACR then LR has to First create the PSD or TIF file before it gets send to PS.

So before when you would automatically see a PSD file opened in PS the version of ACR that PS was using was older then the version being used in LR. That is normal when the 2 program are not using the same exact version of ACR.

No need to redo your actions. Once the RAW file, the CR2 file, opens in PS if you want to make it PSD just hit the Ctrl + the s keys to save it. Then you can run your action on it or do anything else you like.

Also there is no need save first. PS will keep a record of all edit made to the file and at the end you save and or close PS and be prompted to Save the image file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3msphoto  wrote

I don't use Camera Raw at all. So how do I make this work without having to physically save and rename every image again?

Yes you do. ACR is Built into LR. Every time you do an edit in LR it is ACR that is do those edits.

No need to Rename unless you want to. By pressing the Ctrl + s keys the image gets save with the PSD file extension.

PS is using ACR in the background to open the RAW file in PS. PS by itself does not read RAW image data. Camera RAW reads RAW image data then sends the demosaiced data to PS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 20, 2018 Aug 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, I got it figured out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this help? As part of my workflow, I do all the basic LR adjustments as needed, then pull all those into Photoshop as PSDs to finish them up. Just for grins I tried both "save" and "save as" that people have suggested and of course I can rename it to anything I want, but it doesn't change my filename automatically like it used to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines