• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My Premiere Pro runs horrible on High-End PC. Help me, editing is my job.

New Here ,
Aug 18, 2018 Aug 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First off, I use Adobe Premiere Pro 2018 Version 12.1.2 (Build 69)

Now what I mean by it running poorly, the timeline is very jump and choppy, and the resposiveness of the program goes down the further I get into the project even without effects added to any of the clips. These problems are making me want to switch programs, it happens with every new project I am given to work on. I use windows 10 64 bit, but now sure if that'd effect anything.

The footage I edit is H.264 and MJPEG (I get the same results with both codecs)

Here are my PC Specifications:

CPU: Intel i7 7820X (Default clock speed)

GPU: GTX 970 4gb Ram

RAM: 32gb's clocked at their default clock of 2400

HDD: 1 1tb 7200rpm (used for Scratch disk/ Media Cache & Game installations) & 1 2tb 7200rpm (used for Video recordings/media for editing)

SSD: 128gb Sandisk (used for OS and Programs) & 970 evo 250gb (used for nothing atm, tried using for media cache/scratch disk but didnt see any improvement)

MOBO: Gigabyte x299 UD4

If there is anymore info you need to help me figure out my problem i'll be sure to supply you with whatever info is required to resolve this problem. Thank you in advance! I hope we can get this under control.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 18, 2018 Aug 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're working with some of the nastiest media to edit made. I know colorists with a rig 4 times what yours is, they work 6k RED as a breeze. But ... a client's project has any significant H.264 long-GOP media, the assistant transcodes all of it to actually use in the project.

The last paper on building a rig for H.264 editing listed 8 cores as a minimum up to 10, as close to or above 4Ghz as possible, and with as close to 10GB of RAM per core as possible.

With projects and media on internal m.2, Nvme, and other high speed SSD drives.

You have an ok rig but not a hot one for editing by any means. For your media, ingest all through the Media Browser and use the option to create Cineform proxies. In the program monitor click the + sign to open the extra controls dialog. Hover til you find the Toggle Proxy in and drag it out to your controls. Clicked to blue, you're using proxies. Click to gray, original media.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2018 Aug 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Neil, I thought my rig was somewhat High-End, I guess it just the most expensive pc that I've owned so I considered it that. I will try out the proxies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have the same cpu and can edit h.264 (gopro) and canon mxf without proxies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rig is ok but I would change the HDD (media editing) for a SSD.

Have you reinstalled Premiere and Used the Adobe Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank's for the reply Ann. I will give your suggestion a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines