• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When does space key break a slide

New Here ,
Mar 25, 2007 Mar 25, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Captivate to record an editing session for programming training. I'm recording keystrokes but not full motion so that it normally should only take a full image (camera shutter sound) and break that slide when I reach the end of a line and hit the Enter key. It also breaks the slide when I hit the Tab key, and I can live with that. BUT, and here is the problem, sometimes it breaks the slide when I hit the space bar, and sometimes it doesn't. It's inconsistent. It's weid - it seems if I go to another window, like a DOS window that is within the capture, type a few spaces and backspaces, it flips out of the mode where spaces are significant. I return to the editor window and magically spaces are no longer triggering and end of slide. I would love to (a) know how to reliably and control whether spaces are "significant" and (b) ideally be able to specify exactly which keys should trigger an "end of slide".
As any programmer woudl appreciate, there are lots of spaces in program source code and so it is a pain to have a single line split across numerous slides, especially when I later want to add a voice over explaining a full line. Yes, I can split the voice across multiple slides but it is messy. Furthermore, one can end up with zillions of slides quite quickly and that presents enormous performance problems.
TOPICS
Recording

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Mar 30, 2007 Mar 30, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good points, ianatusq. Good enough to pass on to the developers so they can assess the need for changes in the next version - and you can do that by completing a "Feature Request" or "Bug Report" at this link .

I've noticed similar behavior in the past, but solved it by just changing the way I use Captivate's recording process (I avoid typing anything when possible). For the use you suggest, I can see this could be quite problematic, so I really think you would be doing the developers a favor by letting them know at the link above.

Have a great day, and welcome to the Captivate User Community!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 26, 2009 Feb 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did a way to stop this happening ever surface for Cap 3?

All of a sudden my version has started doing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 05, 2009 Mar 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*sigh*

It is so painful having to pause recording every time I use a space when recording text.

Not as painful as having one slide for every word typed.

Why would it start doing this all of a sudden???

Can anyone tell me if Cap 4 does this too? My trial has run out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 05, 2009 Mar 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did a capture using CP4, on a fullscreen having MS VS 2008, command prompt, notepad opened. I captured typing for about 10 minutes which involved changing these applications in between. And i did not run into your issue.

If you are able to reproduce this issue consistently please log a bug mentioning exact steps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 09, 2009 Mar 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL

Typing 5 words into a single text field causes 5 separate slides.

A web-browser based Configuration Management System.

If it doesn't happen in Cap 4 its not really worth reporting, eh?

Suckers like me stuck with Cap 3 will just have to stick to the painful work around.

:o)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 12, 2009 Mar 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kerry,

Please download a small utility called "Inspect32.exe" from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=3755582A-A707-460A-BF21-1373316E13F0&displa...

and here is the file which shows how to use this utility:
https://share.acrobat.com/adc/document.do?docid=08523584-63c3-486b-af69-cf537b2d4ed0

The basic aim is find out the role of the 'control' where in you are typing and getting this issue. Please hit back with the "role" information of the control where in you are typing.

-Manish
http://blogs.adobe.com/captivate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Editable text is the role of the 'control'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi KerryWilson,

Please log a bug for this issue at:
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&product=15&6213=9

and it would be really nice if you could provide us with a .swf file which shows the steps in order to reproduce this issue. We would also like to see the application on which you are doing the recording in that .swf file.

-Manish
http://blogs.adobe.com/captivate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 15, 2009 Mar 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I've sent you a private message on how to show you a .swf??

I've got the original capture of when it happened, but today I can't re-create it.

Weird.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources