• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Images look different in LR Classic CC and PS

Participant ,
Aug 08, 2018 Aug 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, something is wrong with the latests combo of LR Classic CC and PS. The image I edit in LR shows darker, more saturated and without Profile Correction adjustments in PS.

The saturation needs to be toned down -10 in PS to sort of match LR, contrast needs to be lowered by a lot and lines that look straight in Lightroom have a slight pincushion distortion, as if Enable Profile Corrections wasn't enabled. I checked all the Color Profiles and they match. I haven't changed anything in color settings since I first installed CC.

The funny thing is that everything exports perfectly from Lightroom CC. So it seems to be a bug with Classic CC.

Please Adobe fix it! Lightroom CC is too limited for me. I need all the tools on Classic CC.

Thanx

Patrick

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 09, 2018 Aug 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ppdix,

We're really sorry for all the trouble. Could you please let us know the exact version of Photoshop and Lightroom you are using now?

Also, have you tried calibrating your monitor profile back to defaults? If not, please try that and let us now the results.

Regards,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 09, 2018 Aug 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thank you.

Photoshop CC 19.1.5

LR Classic 7.4

Camera Raw 10.4

LR CC 1.4

It is not just a color problem. The distortion correction not being applied has nothing to do with monitor profile.

Here are 2 untouched samples of the same except image on LR CC and Classic exported to PS using Edit in Photoshop. No effects were applied on either LR.

Notice the color difference and the distortion. I also noticed that LR CC generates a TIFF but LR Classic Generates an ARW file instead of TIFF. I tried PSD as well and the file still says ARW. So I think the bug is on the export module.

Also, off topic, could you explain to me why it takes about a second to export a file to PS from LR Classic and takes well over 6-10 for LR CC? Same time.

Thanx

Patrickcomp2.jpgcomp1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 18, 2018 Aug 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mohit, I need this bug fixed. I can't work. Please look into it.

Thanx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 19, 2018 Aug 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You assume it’s a bug, but I doubt that. Many photographers (including me) use this combo, so if there was such an obvious bug, then this forum would see a tsunami of complaints. And if it was a bug after all, then it can’t be solved in 10 days. I’m not sure what happens in your case, but you could try the following. Instead of the normal ‘Edit in Photoshop’, use the ‘Open as Smart Object in Photoshop’. When the photo has opened in Photoshop, double click on the smart object layer. That will open Camera Raw, so you can check the Camera Raw settings and compare them with the Lightroom settings. They should be identical.

I can answer your other questions:

The .arw extension is normal. When you send a raw file from Lightroom to Photoshop, the raw file itself is opened via Camera Raw. You just don’t get to see the Camera Raw dialog. Because the image is still unsaved, Photoshop displays the original file extension. But when you hit ‘Save’, you’ll see that the file is saved in the format you specified.

The reason why Lightroom CC takes so much longer to send an image to Photoshop than Lightroom Classic is probably because Lightroom CC needs to download the original (or at least some stuff like settings and profiles) from the cloud first, while Lightroom Classic gets it from its local storage.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for your answer but whatever it is, It doesn't work well for me.

First of all, the .arw file didn't use to be like this. The files would open in PS as TIFF or PSD, depending on the setting in the External Editing tab. Why would you such an option if the file would open as raw? Also, the name of the file used to be "File Name-Edit" it doesn't add the word Edit anymore. There is definitely something wrong with the setup.

Opening as Smart object is the same. The lens profile corrections setting is not applied and the image is darker.

Bug or no bug I need to get this fixed. Exporting from LR CC works perfectly so it's not PS or CR; The problem seems to come from LR Classic.

I tried resetting the preferences in Classic but no luck. I also went back to an older version of Classic, PS and still no luck. I used an previous version of CR and still doesn't work.

And about the time it takes to open, I use local files with sync paused most of the time. I really don't care for cloud backup. I just like the way LR CC works. It's faster and easier to work with than LR Classic but since I store all the originals on my Mac, I need a way to delete the rejected files from disk so they won't take up space on my hard drive. LR CC can't do that so I need to rely on Classic.

In the meantime I will be using both simultaneously so I can select my favorite photos in Classic and then export them to PS from LR CC.

Cheers

Pat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don’t understand. The file is not opened as raw, it is opened as RGB. It’s just that the file extension is not updated until you save it. I’m pretty sure it always worked like this, except when you have a version mismatch with CameraRaw. If CameraRaw is an older version, then Lightroom will render the image itself and send the rendered image to Photoshop (at least that is a choice). In that case you do see the tiff or psd file extension right from the beginning. Maybe that is what you remember. Whether or not the word ‘-edit’ is added to the file name is a preference setting. You don’t have to use that (I don’t use it).

If opening as smart object shows that edits are not applied, then you do indeed have a problem. Here’s one discussion https://www.lightroomqueen.com/community/threads/lightroom-edits-not-appearing-when-using-edit-in-ph...  I don’t think this applies to your situation, but I do think it may be a good idea to reset all warning dialogs in the Lightroom preferences. You never know what message may pop up...

Finally; Lightroom CC does store certain things in the cloud, so even if you store a copy of the image locally, it still may access the cloud before the image is sent to Photoshop. It doesn’t matter for your problem though, so let’s forget about that question.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To address the original question, color differences between Lightroom and Photoshop are usually caused by a defective or incompatible monitor profile. Try setting the monitor profile to sRGB (use Adobe RGB if you have a wide gamut monitor). If that fixes the problem, you should ideally calibrate your monitor with a hardware calibrator.

See http://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/how-do-i-change-my-monitor-profile-to-check-whether-its-...

Two other possibilites:

1. Photoshop's Camera raw plugin is not the same version as the version built into Lightroom. (10.4 for Lightroom 7.4)
    You have the latest version of Photoshop, but to be on the safe side, go to Help > About plugins > Camera Raw, and verify that it's the 10.4 version.
  2. You have been playing around with Photoshop's color settings, and set Monitor RGB as the RGB working space, which disables color management. If that's the case, set it back to a standard profile, like sRGB or Adobe RGB.

A raw file cannot be opened in Photoshop, it has to be rendered in the Camera Raw plugin or in Lightroom, which means that a new file is created with the adjustments you have made applied to it. The original raw file remains unchanged.

And all the work you do in Lightroom or Camera Raw is done on previews – they preview what the rendered file will look like.

IOW, you're not looking at raw files, but if you could see them, they would be very dark and in greyscale, and they need to be rendered to produce a useful image.

So although the image opens in Photoshop with an ARW extension, it is not a raw file, but a generic RGB file that you can save in any format you like, except as a raw file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 22, 2018 Aug 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New updates for PS, LR CC and LR Classic today fixed the problem! Everything works great now... No more mismatched colors or edits not showing in PS! Yay!!! I told you it was a bug!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ppdix  wrote

New updates for PS, LR CC and LR Classic today fixed the problem! Everything works great now... No more mismatched colors or edits not showing in PS! Yay!!! I told you it was a bug!

It probably was a version mismatch, that you fixed by updating them all.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the latest versions. Creative cloud is fool proof.

It tells you if each up to date or not. Everything was. The problem happened after updating so there was something definitely wrong with the combination of versions. Bugs are introduced by accident sometimes.

Whatever it was, it's fixed now and I can work with all 3 apps again.

Cheers

P

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ppdix  wrote

I had the latest versions. Creative cloud is fool proof.

It tells you if each up to date or not.

In theory, yes. In practise, no. That is why we always ask people to give us the version number, and not just say 'latest'.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I clearly posted the versions for each app and Camera Raw and they were the latest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines