• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

File issue

Participant ,
Aug 19, 2018 Aug 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are there any known issues with .cr2 files from a 5d M4. I have random files showing up bad and unusable. Just wondering if it is camera or computer or sd and cf card. Canon said possibly Sensor, B&H said nothing wrong with camera and that LR is not compatible with raw files from the 5d M4 which this is the first I've heard that. Also said I need to use .dng if using LR. Also I don't see the issue with the files while viewing on the LCD screen on camera. Seems to only be when importing to LR. My camera is 15ish days old. Wondering if I should just send back and exchange or what to do. thanks.

001.jpg002.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problems of this type are usually an indication of a hardware issue somewhere in the pipeline. It could be a bad card, a bad cable if you are connecting the camera, a bad sector on the hard drive, etc. A troubleshooting challenge, for sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try importing the photos gain from the camera card, using different hardware (and to a whole different computer if possible) to see if you can isolate the bad piece of hardware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So here is what I have done up to this point. I have tried importing them and converting to .dng on import. I shoot so both cards mirrored so I tried the other card. They don't show up as bad on either card on the LCD or in the initial import view when you are choosing the options to import them in LR. When I put the cards back in the camera they show fine still when viewing in the back of the camera. Weirdest thing.

I use my sd card slot in my mac laptop...and I use a card reader for my cf card having the same issue with both options on both cards. The files that are bad are the same always.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/AZP+Photos  wrote

I use my sd card slot in my mac laptop...and I use a card reader for my cf card having the same issue with both options on both cards. The files that are bad are the same always.

If the same exact "random" files are showing up bad on both the CF and SD card it would indicate a problem with the camera. It's highly unlikely during import the CF and SD cards would "randomly" corrupt the same exact file numbers due to a system related issue.

Having said that I would follow 's suggestion and try directly importing the files using the camera's USB port. Copy the files directly to a folder using Mac Finder or Windows Explorer and then try importing the files in that folder into LR using 'Add.' You want to keep the process as simple as possible to determine the point of failure. If the same exact files are still showing up bad on both the CF and SD card then you have your answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Todd+Shaner  wrote

https://forums.adobe.com/people/AZP+Photos   wrote

If the same exact "random" files are showing up bad on both the CF and SD card it would indicate a problem with the camera. It's highly unlikely during import the CF and SD cards would "randomly" corrupt the same exact file numbers due to a system related issue.

Yes, I agree with Todd Shaner, it is likely the camera itself is the cause of the problem, but before returning the camera, an hour of due diligence testing all of the other components would still be my recommended course of action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah..any which way I try to import these pictures, the same files keep coming up bad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then it is either the camera or the cards. Have you tried different cards and taken multiple test shots?

I wouldn't send the camera back until you try a set of different cards.

Are the cards you're using New or older? Did you first Format the cards In the Camera?

Rarely is the camera at fault. Usually it is the cards or other hardware in the chain, reader, cable, USB port, that is at fault.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good suggestion, I'm going out on a shoot right now...I'll try different cards, the cards I have are maybe 1.5 years old or so...

The sd card that I was using which is what I imported from first was a brand new sandisk card that was formatted for the first time in the camera. my CF card is a lexar and it had the same issue.

I have several of both sd and cf, going out on a shoot now...will report back when finished. Thanks for all your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 20, 2018 Aug 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. so after a round robbin of conversation with the company I use for my storage devices, Adobe cust. support, and Canon I have determined it is a bad sensor on the camera and will be returning the camera.

Adobe told me there is a known issue with dual pixel raw photos and gave me a site for a work around. Link posted here.

I've never used Canon's software before and also never heard it recommended to work around issues. Never the less decided to try it so I downloaded it and opened the files only to find they have the same issue.

Called Canon sent them both .cr2 files and .jpg files that were bad and they determined I have a bad sensor. Good thing this is a brand new camera so I can exchange it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what are some suggestions to try to begin? I am still at a point that I could send camera back and exchange for a different one.

Is it true that native raw files from a 5d M4 are not compatible with LR Classic?

I don't even know where to begin on this one! But I do need my camera to and workflow to be dependable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it true that native raw files from a 5d M4 are not compatible with LR Classic?

Not true at all. 100% false.

They don't show up as bad on either card on the LCD or in the initial import view when you are choosing the options to import them in LR. When I put the cards back in the camera they show fine still when viewing in the back of the camera. Weirdest thing.

The camera shows you the JPG preview that is embedded in the RAW photo, which is often uncorrupted even when the RAW is corrupted. So this tells you nothing.

Try transferring the photos using the USB cable that came with the camera. Try a different USB port. Try a different computer. You need to isolate the cause by changing one element of the transfer at a time. If at the end of all of this nothing has worked, then perhaps it is the camera writing bad files to the camera card(s).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok...trying a different usb port with camera cord...but really dumb kind of related question. I have never plugged in the camera directly to the computer this way and for this purpose. I don't see anything to eject. Do I need to eject the camera when un plugging the cord like I would otherwise?

Also I did try card reader in different usb and had same issue...I don't have a different computer to try unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the camera shows up on the Desktop, and icon on the desktop, or in a Finder window as a Hard drive right click on it and select Eject or maybe Un-mount  in OS X, then disconnect. Or you could just pull the USB cord or even shut the system down.

AFAIK with OS X you can just remove the cable as long as all copying and or moving is finished.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 20, 2018 Aug 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Sorry to hear QC didn't catch this defect in your brand new camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines