• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Merging help files,

New Here ,
Feb 22, 2008 Feb 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My co worker and I would like to each participate in creating a HTML help file but would like to merge them together, is that possible and how???

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 25, 2008 Feb 25, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi awarg.

Most definitely it is. This is normally done by have a "master" project that is in fact contains no topics but into which you place the "slave" projects that you and your co-worker will produce. You would just add the two CHMs into the master TOC and viola! Check out the RH help file in the first instance as it has a lot of useful info there. If you have any further queries, then post them here.

You may want to think a little about things like context sensitive help, glossaries, links between CHMs if you need to use these.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are CHM's? I couldn't find it in a book I bought to assist with problems. I also don't know what you mean by "slaves". I guessed that we take an empty help project and just import the other two.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi awarg

A CHM file is one of the standard way of deploying help on a Windows desktop. CHM means Compiled Help Module. These are compiled HTML Help files. If you open Microsoft Internet Explorer and open the help system, you will be looking at a compiled .CHM file.

CHM files as well as WebHelp and FlashHelp files may be configured as merged setups. As Colum said, investigate the RoboHelp help file for more. Oh, and before you try to do that, you may wish to configure offline help. Click Tools > Options > General tab and ensure the "Use offline help" check box is selected.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 20, 2008 Mar 20, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does RoboHelp support merged context-sensitive CHM files?

Currently we use WWP to generate the individual CHMs. To merge them, we update the alias files with ms:its redirects, then compile a separate merged.hhp project. If we switch to RoboHelp, will we need to continue this post-processing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 29, 2008 Feb 29, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how do you get merge to work for WebHelp? Or can you? It works great for CHM but not for WebHelp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 29, 2008 Feb 29, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You certainly can merge webhelp. The process is described on my site.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 20, 2008 Mar 20, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
All your CSH processing can be done inside RH, although some prefer to edit their map and alias files in a text editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp