Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lock after signing is not effective on Acrobat XI - Mac

New Here ,
Aug 17, 2018 Aug 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I insert a digital signature (digital ID) on my document, and choose to lock it after signing. However, I can remove the signature by opening the document on Preview on Mac, thus rendering the lock function of Acrobat ineffective.

Am I doing anything wrong here?

All the best,

Francis

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 20, 2018 Aug 20, 2018

They are not supposed to be removed. A compliant PDF viewer must respect the security policy.

Apple Preview is not complying to this ISO Standard, and therefore Apple is the right destination for your complaints.

Adobe is simply warning you that such viewers exist out there, so you don't rely on the security policy as a 100%-safe measure, because it's not.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 17, 2018 Aug 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, you're not, the culprit is Preview. Complaints should be directed to Apple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2018 Aug 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

I don't know if Apple would be the right destination for complaints. I saw now that when I try to add some of those security features on Acrobat, I got a message saying that these might not work on third party software, which I take it as a consequence of how PDF's are designed, allowing this things to be removed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 20, 2018 Aug 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are not supposed to be removed. A compliant PDF viewer must respect the security policy.

Apple Preview is not complying to this ISO Standard, and therefore Apple is the right destination for your complaints.

Adobe is simply warning you that such viewers exist out there, so you don't rely on the security policy as a 100%-safe measure, because it's not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2018 Aug 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I fail to see how Apple is responsible here. While I agree that Apple should respect that policy, if that policy can easily be circumvented - and it probably is by dozens of third-party PDF manipulation tools - I fail to see a reason for that policy to exist in the first place. The design should be more robust to prevent its circumvention. But that's just my opinion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines