• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Select and Mask Ps CC 2017 - Slow and Does Not Work Well

Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2017 Jan 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having trouble with the select and mask feature in Ps CC 2017. The same problem exists in 2015.5 . I've begun using this feature more and just as I'm getting the hang of it, it's not working. When trying to use it to change out a background, the masking of hair is not working correctly. It does okay with strands, but when there is  a big bunch of hair separated from the head, it will not mask in. In 2017, If I try to select the onion skin mask, it closes/crashes the masking dialogue/pallette.  When I am masking, it often takes forever, longer than seems reasonable, to complete. Lot of time spent processing the mask action on the part of Ps. Sometimes it goes quick other times it's a minute or more to finalize.

I am on a MB Pro, El Cap 10.11.6. Everything else seems to work fine. I read one thread that suggested taking the Cache Tile size to 1028 and  levels to 6. It did seem to make the slightest of difference, but still not working.

Any help appreciated. Ron

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Jan 13, 2017 Jan 13, 2017

Ron,

I'm not sure if your issue is a computer performance issue or not. But one thing you can try is using the old Refine Edge and see if that speeds up your workflow.

Bring Back Refine Edge / Refine Mask in Photoshop CC

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Engaged ,
Jan 13, 2017 Jan 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ron,

I'm not sure if your issue is a computer performance issue or not. But one thing you can try is using the old Refine Edge and see if that speeds up your workflow.

Bring Back Refine Edge / Refine Mask in Photoshop CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2017 Jan 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you JR. This work around works. It brings up the old Refine Edge dialogue, which is not slow, nor locking up. I did change the performance setting in Ps again, back to the lower settings. I think what I'd read elsewhere was wrong. It did seem to help speed up the new Select and Mask. One thing I also discovered is that the image I was working may have been part of the problem. Not the slowness, but I have a clump of hair that just does not want to mask in. I get the same result in both the old Refine Edge and Select and Mask. I'm thinking that while the color is very different (blonde hair on white background with light fall-off which makes it gray), the luminosity or tonal value must be the same. It just does not want to mask in.  Thank you for the assistance. I have some more learning to do. Ron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 03, 2017 Feb 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

reducing performance helped a great deal for me

and the legacy select and mask is good also if you want to control the decontamination with an amount slider and not an overall adjustment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2017 Feb 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Before I start could I just say that I have a very basic understanding of computers.

My computer is less than 12 months old, runs on Windows 10 64 bit, has intel i7 processor and a AMD Radon R9 Fury graphics card.

I bought it to handle image editing.

I have had the same issues since purchasing subscription to PS 2017 (4 days ago).

I was frustrated from the start regarding what appeared to be my total lack of ability to lay a mask over an image and then reduce/refine the edges with the brush tools. PS would not complete the edit and simply showed the wheel of death.

I ended up reading similar entries on this forum last night and came to realise that there appear to be a number of issues with the 2017 edition. One of the workarounds was to go back to the 2015 edition.

I have spent the best part of 2 hours today on line to an Adobe support rep. I had him view my screen and he saw the lag of 20- 40 seconds for a 1cm (on screen) mask edit of a low res Jpeg image. I was advised that there would be a lag and also encouraged to accept this as normal!

Luckily PS froze and he had to acknowledge that things were not correct. He kindly sorted out my memory allocation and did a few other things to try and resolve. It did not work.

He ended up installing PS 2015 as I had mentioned that other forum members had stated things returned to normal when they reverted to this version.

We tried that...... brush removed the mask area but it then reappeared 4 to 5 seconds later!

The support chap then said that he would raise this with someone as it is a system issue.

When I asked if he meant that it was an operating system issue he cut the chat dead!

So I am 4 days in. I have not been able to complete any work and still have a PS version which will not complete very basic tasks.

Thank you Support for your initial efforts but not impressed with "I'll tell someone" - don't know when and don't know who!

Guess the only certain thing out of all of this is that Adobe PS will continue to take my subscription fee.

Alison

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 30, 2017 Aug 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue with the Select and Mask tool.  It seems to freeze up/process the request forever anytime that I use the Refine Radius Tool.  (Just using the other functions in Select and Mask, seem fine--but the Refine Radius Tool causes problems).  I've tried switching he Refine Edge tool and it is better for the first few swipes of the Refine Radius Tool, but then it freezes up.

I'm running a system that should be able to more than handle the load:

Lenovo P50

Windows 10 Pro x64

32 GB RAM

Intel Xeon E3-1505M v5 @ 2.8GHz

Nvidia Quadro M2000M

I tried reducing the performance as one person suggested and that actually helped a little.  But it only gave me one or two more swipes of the Refine Edge Tool before freezing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2017 Mar 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here, with PS CC 2017.0.1 x64 on Win 10 64, 16GB ram, i5 4GHz, SSD system drive, GTX950: select and mask panel tools are totally unusable, so slooooow and not working well... again, how these so important functionalities can go wrong in this way?? I'll try to revieve the old refine edge tool, but hope in a solution.

stefano

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2017 May 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same error with select and mask. I have the latest version of of PS CC also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2017 May 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So went to some some PS work today. Installed a few updates via CC this week

Select and Mask is now TOTALLY BROKEN. Any use of it results in Photoshop locking up and requiring me to kill it in task manager. Performance and lag was always an issue for me but this is unusable now.

As it happens I've worked in IT fora long time so... Nvidea driver for my K600 updates to latest version. Including support for OPenCL1.1. Wacom drivers updates to latest version. All Windows 10 updates bang up to date.

Photoshop updated to latest version. Advanced performance settings tried on all options Advanced/Normal/Basic. 30bit support on/off, open CLon/off. Even tried GPU acceleration completely disabled. Nothing works. Other than the old refine edge tool of course. Any use of Select and Mask = frozen CC2017 requiring teh process to be termiated loosing all edits.

Id personally like to ask Adobe how they test and allow such poor code to leave the development environment? And thankyou for wasting an entire 4hours of my time this morning

I appreciate that the tech industry as a whole is moving to a continuous "as a service" cloud model. But you know what if your going to do that test your dam releases properly!

I was pretty annoyed when the refine edge tool was replaced with this far inferior tool without any warning. Now Im really questioning (frankly Im rather pissed off) what I'm paying a monthly subscription for when you break the most basic of functionality - refining masks

If anyone has any suggestion or is experiencing similar Id love to hear about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2017 May 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry neglected to mention 16GB RAM, i7 5th gen, intel board, a few SSDs. This is not a compute resource issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 29, 2017 May 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have anybody tried to re-install Photoshop CC17 to see if it makes a difference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 26, 2017 Jun 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same issue and it is a total work killer. I get one or two strokes into 'Select and Mask' and the application doesn't respond. Sometimes I can repeatedly his 'ESC' and get back to the main interface, sometimes not. Either way the masking tool does not work anymore. Completely disabled GPU acceleration to no avail. Adobe please fix this ASAP!

Photoshop: 2017.1.1

Windows 10 Pro x64

32 GB RAM

Nvidia GTX 1080

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 01, 2017 Dec 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it doesn't play well with actual GPU/Cuda cards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue. But I am already on Photoshop CC 2018.

Using Wacom MobileStudio Pro i7 16Gb
Nvidia Quadro M1000M

Seems like a problem related with Nvidia graphics card / driver.

I forced Photoshop to use the Intel GPU instead of the Nvidia, and performance is quite well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2017 Oct 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here on PS 2018. Running Mac with 40GB memory / AMD Radeon R9 M395 2 GB graphics card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 01, 2017 Dec 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have been experiencing the same issues. My team is running brand new, top of the line BOXX Apex 4's, with 3 NVIDIA GTX 1080 cards. These computers are almost 10K a piece and ridiculously fast with power, but cannot run the "select and mask" tool. The new tool has serious issues, and frankly just doesn't work, or work as well as refine edge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2018 Aug 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have too had this problem across Photoshop CC for years. I've found that adjusting the Performance settings especially the percentage of memory you let photoshop use (my sweet spot is around 52%) helps a bit.

But it's still very, very slow and using the old refine edge seems to be the best workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2019 Sep 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is very frustrating to hear that it's actually not me! I thought it was a total lack of ability on my part, but it seems the select and mask issue is ubiquitous. I have not been able to complete any images and upload to my website for DAYS. I have the latest version of Photoshop CC and a new computer. Will try to figure out the workaround; but I really hope this isn't an indefinite issue with Adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines