• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can premiere pro(latest version) create clips at frame rates >100 FPS?

New Here ,
Aug 20, 2018 Aug 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I cannot find an answer in the forums that directly addresses my concerns.

I want to create a film clip at frame rates exceeding 100 frames per second.  I want to experiment with video effects.  I have a monitor, cables, and graphics card which supports (allegedly) up to 240 FPS (240hz).  Specifically, I have an nvidia geforce GTX 1080 which has g-sync, display port cables, and a new computer.  I used the nvidia control panel to set the hertz to 240.  The monitor is an alienware aw2518h. So far so good.  I managed to programmatically generate some high frame rate video but the frame rate randomly varies (drops under 200, sometimes goes above).  I want to get a good look at some high frame rate video, see what you can really do with it.  Is this there some way to set Adobe Premiere Pro so that while Premiere pro is playing back a video it really, really is at or above 100 fps (and reliably too).  As a followup question (if the answer to the 1st question is NO), can you export in Prem Pro to a video format that is 100+ fps(even if you can't get PP to do it internally, if that is the case)?  I would like a look at the future, when this capability becomes commonplace.  This question isn't about importing from high frame rate cameras or about changing speeds of a clip.

R

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't think of any use currently for +100fps media. That is almost always expected to be slowed down ... and with no monitors nor computer nor tv systems designed to display that fps properly, I'm just curious ... why?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What Neil said, to what end?

Thanks

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe you will be frustrated in your efforts.  I don't know of any professional NLE software that works above 60 fps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can create a comp in AE with a 120FPS timebase:

Screen Shot 2018-08-20 at 12.03.15 PM.png

but unsure what video player will support it.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere allows you to create a sequence up to 60fps.

However if you have a video of those features, Premiere allows you to create a sequence at that speed of fps:

frame rate-2.png

To export a video to that amount of fps you will have to choose HEVC (H265) and choose one of the options offered:

frame rate-1.png

The reproduction without loss of frames will be related to the capacity of your team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2018 Aug 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do this, why be interested?:  If for no other reason to test that the hardware I bought really works.  As of now, I think it does past 100 fps. Dell Xps system with nvidia 1080 , display port cables, aw2518h monitor.  I was able to use Adobe After Affects to create and see a 120 fps clip so that's good.  I asked the Adobe  support people about this and they said the cap is 60fps (juanmario's helpful answer of creating a clip up to 300 fps was good to see as was Meg the Dog's about After Affects compositions).  The Adobe people in a followup email today said they were adding 100fps+ to the suggested improvements to Premiere Pro.  I know that I can see rapidly shown stuff at > 60 fps and I don't have super hero vision.  And re all the money and effort (billions?) to create high frame rate cameras and 4k and 8k and 1080p definitions, was the only reason for that to create as a final product slow-motion video versions of "the thrill of victory, the agony of defeat" for every person with a camera?  You can create 100+fps but you can't directly look at it?  I suppose the use in professional movie production might be considered to pay the bill.  All else is hobbyist interest?  Maybe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 21, 2018 Aug 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"If for no other reason to test that the hardware I bought really works"

You would check it ought by playing a GAME that supports high frame rates. My son just got a new monitor that supports 144fps and he was showing me the difference in first-person gaming action view between 60fps and 144fps modes and basically when doing fast panning at 60fps there is jerking and some tearing in the image, not apparent at 144fps.

But bear in mind these graphics are being GENERATED LIVE directly from the video card - this is not a video clip on the hard drive being played back at 144fps. That is how you test your hardware, with games, not with a high-frame-rate video clip.

Please understand that most video clips are H.264 based, which uses Long-GOP encoding. This means that each video frame is not individually encoded and stored in the file. Rather, just a few key frames are encoded in their entirety each second, and several frames before and after that key frame are stored as only partial data, storing just the difference between current frame and key frame. So the computer processor has to access and combine data from several frames to rebuild/display any single frame. This task is hard enough with 30 or 60 frames per second, so imagine the computer trying to read and process the data this way at 100fps or greater! Not practical.

So that's what we're trying to tell you, that even fast-action sports video at 60p looks very good to the viewer and that 30 or 60fps is the "standard" and that is why higher frames rates for clips is not currently greater than that. People with slower computers, phones, and other portable devices would not have the horsepower to view such clips and it would create a LOT of additional overhead unnecessarily. In addition to being much harder to play back, the clips would also be much larger to accommodate the extra frames per second. And without special viewing hardware, they could not see/appreciate the difference anyway. So it is not a thing.

Cameras that shoot frames rates higher than 60fps do so just for the benefit of slow-motion needs in post, not for watching the clip in real-time at a 120fps or whatever. No reason to do that.

Thanks

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines