Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Very displeased

Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2018 Aug 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Friends, 

I'm very fond of Acrobat Pro, and have been for a very long time. I use it at some great length in my work, and I've recently purchased the same version to install at my home as I'm beginning to work more from home.

There are a couple of problems which are driving me insane to the point where I'm displeased to no end with the lack of support from Acrobat in solving these problems.

1. For the life of me I cannot find a way to make a customized "tool set" come up every time I open a PDF as the default.  I don't want to have to select the tool set every single time.  Why on earth can I not designate a customized tool set as the new default?  More troubling and frustrating is that I have been able to customize the "Default Set" at work, and on another computer I use frequently in presentations in classes I provide around the county.  It works just fine on them, and not on a brand new installation at my home.  Why is that?

2. The same issue holds true for the "Page navigation", "Page Display", "Select and Zoom" bar.  I cannot make the selections remain from one PDF to another.  Why is that?

3. And, finally, I can not determine how/why the "Recent Files" list seems to be erased once I exit a session with Acrobat Pro and close the program.  Again, this doesn't happen on the program I've installed at work, or on the travel computer.  What on earth is the matter?

Could someone please help me sort these three items out?  I cannot begin to describe how frustrating it is when a program works fine in one location and not in another.  It's about as annoying as it gets.

Ken Wagoner
Escondido, CA

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 20, 2018 Aug 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ken,

As per the issue description mentioned above, you are facing issue with Acrobat, is that correct?

You may try customizing quick toolbar by right-clicking an empty space in the toolbar and choose the tools that you want to appear in the toolbar. You may also try creating a custom tool and check if that helps. Refer to this help document for the same: Adobe Acrobat Workspace basics

Also, try rebooting the machine once if you haven't already and check if that helps with recent files issue.

Let us know if you need any help.

Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shivam,

I thank you for the reply. 

However I have to admit that I had not made the modifications to the toolbars, setting them exactly the way I wished them to appear, closing the program, and then immediately rebooting the machine. Once I return home this afternoon I'll give that a try to see if that is the answer. 

Do you have any thoughts on the missing "recently opened files" issue?

Ken Wagoner

Escondido, California

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For 2, are you trying to change this in Preferences? Do Preferences changes "take"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2018 Aug 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TestScreenName, I tried to set the recent files in Preferences and it still would work only as long as that one instance of running Acrobat was still active. 

Ken Wagoner
Escondido, CA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 22, 2018 Aug 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ken,

Please try the troubleshooting steps given in the following help document: Error 1328: Error applying patch to file | Acrobat, Reader

-Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 28, 2018 Aug 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shivam,

I'll be trying once I accomplish the re-install, which did not work.  I'll be slowly going through it step by step until I get the desired results.

Ken Wagoner

Escondido, CA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2018 Sep 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shivam, and others...

Very well, here's an update.  I've finally been able to completely remove, and then reinstall Acrobat Pro XI. It was a quite difficult process and involved some work in the registry which always makes me extremely nervous.  So, the product is up and running!

Some of the features I needed work very well.

• "Save As Other" is finally working flawlessly for "images", which is a critical tool for me in my work. 
  • Acrobat functioning as a printer is also working flawlessly.
  • However, the issue with editing the default toolbars remains as a problem.  I've been able to customize the default, and it seems to remain in place throughout the editing session, and returns when the program is closed, and then reopened.  However once I place the "Recognized Text In This File" tool on the default, it goes away the very next time I close and open the program.  Here's a picture of what I want:

1st.PNG

And once I exit the program, and reopen, here's what it displays:

2.PNG

That's pretty annoying, however if it continues to be the only missing tool I can deal with it.  It is sort of odd though.

• And the problem of the program failing to list the previously opened files is still taking place.  I opened several files, and then closed them, and here's what I saw when I closed the files I was working with:

3.PNG

Note how it shows three "recent" files.  All well and good.  Once I exit the program, here's what comes up when I reopen it:

4.PNG

It doesn't show a single "recent" file.  So, I guess until this gets resolved, the answer is to keep the program loaded at all times, and only finish working on files by closing the file not the program if I want a list of recent files. 

I'm still "displeased" however not quite as much as I was before.

Ken Wagoner

Escondido, California

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2018 Sep 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I neglected to mention the other issue was the navigation Icons don't seem to last beyond the operating session.

Here's what I want:

5.PNG

And once I exit the program and re-open, here's what I see:

6.PNG

And yes, I'm still "displeased."

Ken Wagoner

Escondido, CA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 03, 2018 Sep 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ken,

Try updating Acrobat to the latest patch (11.0.23) using "Check for updates" option under "Help" menu, reboot the machine after installing update and check if that resolves the issue. If issue still persists, try replicating the issue in a new user account by clicking on the Start button > control panel > add or remove user accounts > create a new account. Login into that account, launch Acrobat from there and check.

-Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m pretty displeased that you’ve ignored my troubleshooting suggestion. But that’s the way it goes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Test Screen Name,

I did try working with "Preferences" and it did not result in any change in the behavior of Acrobat. I didn't respond with a confrontational post decrying "It didn't work!", as I did not feel it would be of any value to make such a remark.

As I noted on Saturday (9/1) my two remaining issues seem to be the disappearance of my selection of page display tools once the current editing session has ended, and the lack of a list of recently opened files.  When I get home from work this evening I'll try the suggestions from Shivam to see if they have the desired impact.

If you have suggestions other than working with "Preferences" I'd welcome anything that might resolve these problems.

Ken Wagoner

Escondido, CA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2018 Sep 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shivam,

I tried installing the update that Acrobat Pro XI said was the next one up, which was (11.0.20). 

20180904.PNG

when I ran this install the update proceeded for a while then engaged in "rollback" and left me with the following error message:

20180904-1.PNG

I have been able to download "AcrobatUpd11023.msp" however I'm not sure how to proceed.

Thank all of you for trying to help me.

Ken Wagoner

Escondido, California

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2018 Sep 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An update.

While moving the file "AcrobatUpd11023.msp"  I accidentally hit right-click, and saw the option to "Apply".  Having nothing to lose at this point I went back and did so.

During the update, I received the following message:

20180904-2.PNG

Again, having nothing to lose I selected "ignore" and the install continued with no further errors. And I received this notice:

20180904-3.PNG

I rebooted the Machine, opened a few files, added my page navigation and page display menu items.  Once I exited the program and reinstalled - those menu items were no longer displayed, nor was there a list of previously opened files available.

I need to get to work, so I'll look into this again when I get home this evening.

Ken Wagoner

Escondido, California

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2018 Sep 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Friends,

I thank all of you for your suggestions and advice.  To my dismay none of them have had the desired impact on the program.  I have tried them all to no avail.  I haven't any idea why the settings I've selected for the toolbars (page display, select and zoom, etc) or the list of recently opened files will still be as I selected or used in a previous session for this iteration of the software.  What is particularly unsettling is that those same features remain functional on every other instance when I've purchased and installed this software.  It functions perfectly on my work computer (Windows 7, 64-bit), and on my Surface Pro (Windows 10, 64 bit).  For whatever reason it fails as I've noted on this machine (Windows 10, 64 bit).

I thought of tracking changes in the registry when the preferences were reset to what I wished for however while I found freeware that will track registry changes I simply put don't have the knowledge to take the dangerous step of modifying the registry.

So, I'm going to chalk this up as an example of "what can't be cured must be endured", and accept the limitations.

I'm grateful that the community made every effort to help me, and I will do so for others if I can address something.

thank you all,

Ken Wagoner

Escondido, CA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ken,

Normally Recent Files" list shouldn't get erased once Acrobat Pro is relaunched. Try repairing Acrobat using "Repair installation" option under Help menu, reboot the machine after repair and check.

Also, let us know dot version of Acrobat and the operating system installed on the machine? You may refer to the steps given in this link on how to check the version in Acrobat: Identify the product and its version for Acrobat and Reader DC

-Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shivam,

Unfortunately the "Recent Files" lasted until I exited the program.  I opened several different files, and when I closed them I did see the list on the screen, and it was also under the "File" menu pull down.  However once I closed the program and started it again, that list disappeared. 

Here's the version information from a screen capture:

Version.PNG

Also, when I was performing the repair the following popped up:

Repair Pop-up.PNG

At this point my frustration level is very high.

Ken Wagoner

Escondido, CA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean, random other preferences. Sounds as if no preferences are being saved, which may be an Acrobat problem, a system probem, or somewhere between.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't suggest it would change the behaviour of Acrobat. Certainly wouldn't. That's why it's a troubleshooting step, not a solution. We suggest things, you try them, you tell us what happened, we make guesses and ask more questions. Eventually we might suggest things to try fixing it.

Saying "It did not work" is not confrontational, it's the most basic level of polite reply for someone who took the to think about your issues !!!

My crucial question was "Do Preferences changes "take"?". That's what you never answered. ALL your symptoms might point to a single cause, perhaps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Test+Screen+Name  wrote

My crucial question was "Do Preferences changes "take"?". That's what you never answered. ALL your symptoms might point to a single cause, perhaps.

Are you suggesting to make any change in Preferences, then quit and relaunch to see if the setting took hold?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems I'm not as clear as I thought I was. I'm suggesting making several different random changes to preferences, quit and relaunching. If the preference changes haven't happened this points very strongly at ALL preference changes being lost, and in turn at a system permissions problem rather than a software issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought that might be where you were going with Preferences, but I wasn't sure whether or not it was coming across. That's a great idea for troubleshooting—either way we learn something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand now, and I appreciate the thought.

I did make several changes in "Preferences" such as "Page Display, Show Transparency Grid", "General, Select Default PDF Handler", and "Documents, Documents in recently used list:" to 5. 

All of the changes were retained, however the list of recent documents, and the page display and page zoom settings weren't retained.

So I'm down to two issues. 

Thank you all for your patience and efforts to help me.  It is very much appreciated.  Hopefully I can return the favor for another user down the road.

Ken Wagoner

Escondido, CA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears that there is one missing tool, and I just want to test to see if there is a limit or something. Adobe stopped support for Acrobat XI almost a year ago, and I can test it myself because it's changed it DC. Try removing one tool, then adding the last tool. Does that save?

And on the recent files, I see the command for "View All Files". What happens when you click that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines